Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Which one?cos there are a few. Dud you try the organic one?

The one I had was 'Belitti' (sp?). Has a yellow label on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Don't go near the Aldi 'kiln dried logs'. They were actually wet in the bag ��

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

NOT keen on Aldi prosecco at all. Like a bottle of sugary water I thought.

The one with the silver label is very nice IMO. Goes down well when opened with other non prosecco experts at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

The one I had was 'Belitti' (sp?). Has a yellow label on the bottle.

I found that too sweet. The cava and organic on are nice but I really like Crémant de Loire (Blanc de Noirs)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

There's a new Hazelnut Gelato in stock and it's gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Do Aldi do ready made pastry? Either frozen or chilled. Thinking of making some chicken pies this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Do Aldi do ready made pastry? Either frozen or chilled. Thinking of making some chicken pies this week.

Yes, rolled sheets of short crust and puff pastry in the fridge area. The boxes are blue and green respectively. Near the butter in my local Aldi.

They might have frozen, too

Yes, rolled sheets of short crust and puff pastry in the fridge area. The boxes are blue and green respectively. Near the butter in my local Aldi.

They might have frozen, too

It's about 89c I think. I often buy it to make sausage rolls with. The jus-rol is about €3 in Tesco for the same size!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bassfish wrote: »
    There's a new Hazelnut Gelato in stock and it's gorgeous.

Oooh must give that a try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

It's about 89c I think. I often buy it to make sausage rolls with. The jus-rol is about €3 in Tesco for the same size!

Mix in some black pudding with the sausage meat and you won't look back.
    Had it at a wedding last year and make them every few weeks now as a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

.red. wrote: »
    Talking of which, they have some sausages with black pudding in them which are quite nice IMO.

Alun wrote: »
    Talking of which, they have some sausages with black pudding in them which are quite nice IMO.

I've seen the clonakilty ones but never tried them, must keep an eye out for the aldi ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Had it at a wedding last year and make them every few weeks now as a treat.

Sausage (skinned), black pud, chopped onion and tomato (as this keeps the whole thing from coming too dry), season and a bit of egg on the pastry. Yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen the clonakilty ones but never tried them, must keep an eye out for the aldi ones.
    They have two types of Specially Selected "winter sausages" on the top shelf where the other sausages are. One is the black pudding one and the other is stout and leek I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

We normally try to get a salmon dinner once a week.

However the the fillets of the normal salmon have become so thin a fish finger would be wider. I also found the taste gone very poor and a fatty quality to them.

Lately I have been buying the specially selected organic ones. They are dear at nearly €6 but are very nice.

I do notice the fillets come now without the skin.
    I wonder is it a sea lice issue on the fish farms?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dixxiestickks

Does anyone know if any of the South/West Dublin branches are stocking the Triple Sec Cocktail Liqueur? Tried nutgrove and Terenure but no luck 😢

Sausage (skinned), black pud, chopped onion and tomato (as this keeps the whole thing from coming too dry), season and a bit of egg on the pastry. Yum :)

I put a few spoons of mango chutney in mine.

Whatever you do, DO NOT google farmed salmon. You'll probably never eat it again.

Whatever you do, DO NOT google farmed salmon. You'll probably never eat it again.

I have visited farms to inspect them and they're not that different from a battery hen farm.

I have visited farms to inspect them and they're not that different from a battery hen farm.

Which is why I would never google a battery hen farm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Is most salmon in Ireland comes from Farms? I always eat free range chicken and eggs but didn’t think to think about Salmon? Is the salmon sold at markets like theEnglish market in Cork places where you are guaranteed wild salmon? I love hot smoked salmon but I suppose there is a good chance that this salmon is from salmon farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Most of them are farmed in Norway.

They are always labelled as such so just check the packaging before buying.

All I have seen in supermarkets is farmed. Just the way it is.

We normally try to get a salmon dinner once a week.

However the the fillets of the normal salmon have become so thin a fish finger would be wider. I also found the taste gone very poor and a fatty quality to them.

Lately I have been buying the specially selected organic ones. They are dear at nearly €6 but are very nice.

They sell skinned and normal ones.

No issue there.

wonski wrote: »
    Most of them are farmed in Norway.

They are always labelled as such so just check the packaging before buying.

All I have seen in supermarkets is farmed. Just the way it is.

A lot of them have different brands names that make them look like they come from smaller scale companies but would all actually come from the likes of Marine Harvest.

A lot of them have different brands names that make them look like they come from smaller scale companies but would all actually come from the likes of Marine Harvest.

Don't care about the brand.

It is written on the packaging where it comes from and how it was caught ;)

wonski wrote: »
    Don't care about the brand.

It is written on the packaging where it comes from and how it was caught ;)

I know. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying they market them to look like local producers and, as someone already mentioned, a lot of shoppers wouldn't even think about fish being farmed in the same way as beef or chicken.

I know. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying they market them to look like local producers and, as someone already mentioned, a lot of shoppers wouldn't even think about fish being farmed in the same way as beef or chicken.

They market them like that all the time.

Hand made, home grown etc with pictures of farmers and growers :)

It's just marketing, nothing else.

Food these days is really well labelled, and while I still don't believe 100% is true, at least there is a legislation in place and a lot of effort goes into making it correct at all times.

There is a new mushrooms selection pack where oyster and another one is listed as 4% per pack each. The rest are just sliced chestnut mushrooms...

Do the math and you will quickly realise how expensive it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Thanks to whoever recommended the Thai style frozen veg! Really tasty and so handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Specially selected gingerbread topped mince pies were poor, both taste and value IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Re the farmed salmon I was reading that there have been major problems off Scotland with the fish farms having a serious sea lice problem affecting output and quality.

Norway least affected and Ireland not as bad as Scotland.

Reading how they deal with it you can see why humans are building up resistance to antibiotics.

I would imagine the sale of wild salmon is extremely rare now.

Advertisement