Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Re the farmed salmon I was reading that there have been major problems off Scotland with the fish farms having a serious sea lice problem affecting output and quality.

Norway least affected and Ireland not as bad as Scotland.

Reading how they deal with it you can see why humans are building up resistance to antibiotics.

I would imagine the sale of wild salmon is extremely rare now.

Fishing in rivers for salmon is seasonal, depending on the river it runs from Jan/Feb through to Sept. There are a few people granted a license to catch wild Atlantic salmon with nets, usually May to August and the methods and numbers are strictly controlled.

So proper wild caught salmon is available to buy but you'd need to know exactly who has a license and where it's being caught to be sure.

Farm stock also seriously effect native wild stocks, along with other industries and climate change etc. etc. so the future is probably looking bleak for wild caught salmon.

The "sweetie grapefruit" they have in at the moment are lovely. They look like a normal grapefruit but are green and have a lovely sweet citrus taste off them. The segments are a bit smaller in them though so there's a fair bit of chewy pith between them. I'd recommend segmenting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The "sweetie grapefruit" they have in at the moment are lovely. They look like a normal grapefruit but are green and have a lovely sweet citrus taste off them. The segments are a bit smaller in them though so there's a fair bit of chewy pith between them. I'd recommend segmenting them.

+1. Get rid of the pith, it’s bitter and twisted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Does anyone know if any of the South/West Dublin branches are stocking the Triple Sec Cocktail Liqueur? Tried nutgrove and Terenure but no luck ��
    None in Newlands Cross as of 20 minutes ago, the label is on the shelf but no bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Hi -anyone know what the Aldi red wine was that Tomas Clancy recommended recently in the Sunday Business Post?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Wild Venison steaks are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Alun wrote: »

Huzzah!!!! I was only bemoaning their absence the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We had a bottle of Meadowhawk old vine Zinfandel from Contra Costa county in California tonight. €12 and great value at that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Yup :)

So are the frozen sprouts :D

Will frozen spinach reappear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lovely jubbly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

All this venison chat has reminded me that Dealz has great big tubs of schwartz juniper berries at the moment, if anyone wants to try one of the traditional flavour combos :)

This size tub: http://www.excellenceimporters.com/admin/shop/Schwartz_Juniper_Berries_270g.jpg

You'd want to be eating a lot of venison to get through it, mind :D

^^ Also good for adding to G&Ts

Blueberries are also very good with venison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Coffee Liquer 8.99
    Similar to the orange liquer is size, tastes less syrupy than kahlua, at 15% pretty decent in a cocktail and a quarter of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dudara wrote: »
    ^^ Also good for adding to G&Ts

Ah, feck off! (smiley face)
    Do you be adding raisins to wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Apples to cider 😂

Unless you crack them, they add feck all flavour. It's all about the garnish :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice! How much do they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    No idea I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

No idea I'm afraid.

Hopefully they are not very deer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

dudara wrote: »
    Unless you crack them, they add feck all flavour. It's all about the garnish :)

I like hibiscus flowers in my gin 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Specially selected gingerbread topped mince pies were poor, both taste and value IMO.

The 12 pack of mini mince pies are no better, pastry is fine but there's a tiny amount of filling inside. They were lovely previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

The pulled pork in the box is delicious. It tastes like it should be horrendously unhealthy for you, but the nutrition numbers on the front are ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

9.99 for 400g, they come in four small steaks, so two per person is what I always serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thin sea salted crackers are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I have an anti-recommendation: The pastrami that was recommended in this thread is not great at all, hardly any flavour in it apart from the pepper. I'll stick to SuperValu's pastrami.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Space Dog wrote: »
    I have an anti-recommendation: The pastrami that was recommended in this thread is not great at all, hardly any flavour in it apart from the pepper. I'll stick to SuperValu's pastrami.

They have two varieties of Pastrami. Try thr BBQ version. It's really delicious, even though I was highly sceptical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I just saw a few nice looking bottles of gin on sale in Aldi. €30 I think? Has anyone tried any?

I just saw a few nice looking bottles of gin on sale in Aldi. €30 I think? Has anyone tried any?

Their Boyle's label one is supposed to be really good. Won lots of awards and regularly sells out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I can vouch for Boyle.....its delish. Haven't tried the others. Would be interested to know if anyoneb has tried them.

Advertisement