Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Glad you all like the Boyle's, it's €25 BTW.

There's two new ones there, a German one called Needle and a French one.

German one is good, haven't tried the French one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Space Dog wrote: »
    I have an anti-recommendation: The pastrami that was recommended in this thread is not great at all, hardly any flavour in it apart from the pepper. I'll stick to SuperValu's pastrami.
    Yeah I recommended it, I bought it the first day it appeared on the shelves and it was absolutely perfect, just like New York Pastrami, hard to describe but its a kind of expensive corned beef taste, the second time I had it it was no different to the 50 cents everyday value tasteless ham, it totally changed. Ill give the barbecue a go but that annoyed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The salted caramel cream is in. Oh I could happily just sit there with the carton and a spoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Their Boyle's label one is supposed to be really good. Won lots of awards and regularly sells out.

I see there’s a sloe/damson version of Boyles on sale. Is it the real deal - like cough syrup?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I see there’s a sloe/damson version of Boyles on sale. Is it the real deal - like cough syrup?

Is this different from the regular Boyles......is it in a different bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

yogibear77 wrote: »

Same bottle, purple in colour. I wanted to buy but nanny state meant it twas too early 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Has anyone tried the small bottles of flavoured "Baileys" in the gift box? Looks nice but wondering if it's close to Baileys or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

ArtyC wrote: »
    Same bottle, purple in colour. I wanted to buy but nanny said twas too early 🙄

Oooh thank you for that. They don't have it in my local aldi. Will have to keep an eye out for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

sillysocks wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the small bottles of flavoured "Baileys" in the gift box? Looks nice but wondering if it's close to Baileys or not?

Yes, last week. Choc orange, mint (I think) and salted caramel.
    Decent enough. I don't know how they compare this Baileys though as I haven't tried the same flavours. I'm not even sure that Baileys do the same flavours.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Yes, last week. Choc orange, mint (I think) and salted caramel.
    Decent enough. I don't know how they compare this Baileys though as I haven't tried the same flavours. I'm not even sure that Baileys do the same flavours.

Thanks! Actually don't mind if they're not the same as Baileys once they're nice and worth buying! Baileys used to have the flavours, definitely Mint and I think caramel (along with chocolate) but haven't looked for them in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Alun wrote: »
    The Wild Venison steaks are back.

Really fresh

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7303537/ca8a969e/ondertussen_in_de_aldi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yogibear77 wrote: »

Got it a couple weeks ago but it's not for me. That said, it's probably personal taste because it is very cough medicine flavoured and if that's your thing.. then go get it!

I love their original gin. Haven't tried the two new ones yet and probably won't because I enjoy the Boyle's so much.. don't want to risk my Christmas drinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Has anyone tried the spanish air dried legs of ham ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Has anyone tried the spanish air dried legs of ham ?

I bought a small one for someone last year and they said it was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

Does anyone know if Aldi sell stuffing please?

Can't see any in my local Aldi but I'm bad at finding stuff anyway!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

I saw some of the dry Paxo style stuffing last week, if that's the kind you mean? It was on a shelf above the freezers, where the salt and seasons are usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Or they always have various types of mixed stuffing in the fridge section, just after the Super 6 meats, and
    just before the sausage/rasher section. Fresh.

Hi

They do, and the sage and onion one is lovely. It's usually in the meat fridge near the chicken. Not a fan of the one with lemon but don't really like lemon anyway so that might just be personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

tea
    jams
    sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On the stuffing front, they had some special stuffing mixes in with the Christmas food specials in the middle aisle today, one had Cranberries in it and and another Porcini if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement

CastielJ wrote: »
    tea
    jams
    sauces

I agree with the tea. I bought a small box of McGrath's (reserve label? Black box) and they're as good as Barrys or Bewleys, maybe better. Website says Robert Roberts make their teas for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

That's great tea, i used to drink the barrys black box and the Mcgraths one is just as good

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

That's great tea, i used to drink the barrys black box and the Mcgraths one is just as good

I’m a Barry’s Black Box drinker too and heard great things about the Aldi tea so decided to give it a go... wasn’t impressed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Hi
    They've stopped stocking their Quixo mix version afaik, but Lidl and Tesco sell it for 75c

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Really i bought a box last week and it was very similar, tried it awhile ago and wasn't impressed so i wonder have they since changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I prefer Quixo over Paxo, but my local no longer have it. I asked and was told it is no longer being stocked

I really liked the Chargrilled vegetable Carlos brand frozen pizza; but I went to get one on my last 2 shopping trips and they haven't been there :( anybody spotted them in their local? Or have they been removed? I didn't see the label for them so I fear they're gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I really liked the Chargrilled vegetable Carlos brand frozen pizza; but I went to get one on my last 2 shopping trips and they haven't been there :( anybody spotted them in their local? Or have they been removed? I didn't see the label for them so I fear they're gone

I can't help with that i'm afraid, but you've just reminded me that the whole range of pizzas in the black box - the Etna, Romagna, etc. are gone from my local Aldi, gone for at least two weeks. I'm hoping that it's just to make room for the Christmas stuff and they'll be back in the new year.

zell12 wrote: »
    I prefer Quixo over Paxo, but my local no longer have it. I asked and was told it is no longer being stocked

Saw some last week and yesterday in my Aldi. Was over the freezers last week and in the cages opposite pasta this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saw the Quixo stuff today as well, also in the centre aisle near the special Christmas stuffing.

Advertisement