Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

What Prosecco would people recommend for Christmas Day or more to the point which ones should I avoid?
    I don’t want to serving up paint stripper.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes, and the doggie proscecco! In the standard layout opposite the crisps.

Smelt an amazing French cheese in the Christmas cheese section - rotten socks. I think it was called Epos. Going back tomorrow to buy it but it won’t last till next week!
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    Epoisses.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Epoisses is AMAZING!
    Is it strong enough that you'd smell it the minute you walk in the door of the shop? There is an absolutely rancid smell like spoiled meat or milk in Bray Aldi at the minute but if its just a smelly cheese it suddenly becomes a nice smell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Thargor wrote: »
    Is it strong enough that you'd smell it the minute you walk in the door of the shop? There is an absolutely rancid smell like spoiled meat or milk in Bray Aldi at the minute but if its just a smelly cheese it suddenly becomes a nice smell...

It could well be the epoisses - I think someone said that the ones in their Aldi are already too ripe to keep 'til Christmas, so it's probably getting pretty rowdy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Funny enough there was a rotten smell like sour milk in my local Aldi in Nutgrove yesterday aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

zell12 wrote: »
    They've stopped stocking their Quixo mix version afaik, but Lidl and Tesco sell it for 75c

The Aldi Quixo link has gone dead (it worked when I posted it). Sign it will be discontinued after all?
    vXn6CmL.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I had some Aldi mulled wine tea last night. It was delicious! More smell than flavour but sure that's always the way with herbal and fruit teas. :)

Do they have actual mulled wine this year?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

naughtb4 wrote: »

They have mulled punch - I know because I bought some and tbh it is overly sweet and not that enjoyable - but I haven't seen any mulled wine. That doesn't mean it's not there - I'm not drinking at the moment so not paying attention to alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

naughtb4 wrote: »

If they don't then lidl definitely have. I've seen it in one of the two but I can't remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They have/had Mulled Wine. I'm my local Aldi it was in the baskets in the middle aisle at first and then moved to the alcohol section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

They have/had Mulled Wine. I'm my local Aldi it was in the baskets in the middle aisle at first and then moved to the alcohol section.

Alcohol free I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Alcohol free I think?

No, the it's the punch that is alcohol free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Clarkes bourbon.

Very good contender for JD/JB.

Bought a bottle last week just to try it.

Unfortunately there seemed to be a hole in the bottle somewhere and the liquor leaked out. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

Fancied some chips and dips so got the Aldi version of Cool Doritos and they weren't great. I think I'll stick to the Doritos but the 4 dips were yummy. They're in the fridge by the cheeses. Just as nice as M&S dips I've had in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love the Aldi plain nachos. Crunchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Are Barkers Brew and Pawsecco still around and if so are they with the drinks? I haven't spotted them (haven't asked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Are Barkers Brew and Pawsecco still around and if so are they with the drinks? I haven't spotted them (haven't asked).

No, in the middle isles only..they couldn't put them with the alcohol as they are not for human consumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Dubl07 wrote:

I bought some on Saturday and they were in the upper middle aisle with other dog treats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

For anyone who has been trying (like me!) to find the Lidl Deluxe Ice Cream Mini Fancies, I saw Aldi is now stocking their version for the same price (€1.49 for 10) and in similar flavours too.
    Haven't tried them yet but they do look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Looking for doggie stockings. Only saw individual bones and turkey dinners.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Looking for doggie stockings. Only saw individual bones and turkey dinners.

I found them in the Aldi in Walkinstown. That is probably no use to you judging by your username but they are being sold - you just need to find a branch nearby that has them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

B0jangles wrote: »
    It could well be the epoisses - I think someone said that the ones in their Aldi are already too ripe to keep 'til Christmas, so it's probably getting pretty rowdy :p

Update: It's the epoisses.

I just bought one and it's so strong that it made the cooler bag very whiffy within about 2 minutes, so it has been put in strict isolation in a ziplock bag at the back of the fridge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I got some All Butter Cheese Twists a few weeks ago. Only opened them over Christmas. My God, they're heavenly. Hope they weren't just a Christmas thing, although my waistline would probably prefer they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Cheese truckles, usually around Xmas, gorgeous. Might still have some now :)
    Their chocolate is what I use in baking, wouldn't use anything else.
    Love their Brioche buns too, they are the nicest buns you can get in a shop.
    Magnum dishwasher tablets are fantastic too, always use them.
    Picked up a set of three candles just before Xmas, love them, scent is nice and subtle too which I love :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What is their laundry detergent like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What is their laundry detergent like?

I use the almat non bio and happy with it. Prefer the loose powder.

Whispered wrote: »
    I use the almat non bio and happy with it. Prefer the loose powder.

Thanks. I'm sick of paying a small fortune for the usual brands. Just curious if the cheaper ones could irritate my skin. I'll give the Almat a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The plasticky tabs are a disaster for not dissolving properly on a 40 degree wash. Fine on a good hot wash but destroyed a pair of husband's trousers.

heldel00 wrote: »
    The plasticky tabs are a disaster for not dissolving properly on a 40 degree wash. Fine on a good hot wash but destroyed a pair of husband's trousers.

The powder it is then. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thanks. I'm sick of paying a small fortune for the usual brands. Just curious if the cheaper ones could irritate my skin. I'll give the Almat a shot!

My skin is very sensitive and I can't use any perfumed detergent. I use the blue box of Almat and I never have problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Bananaleaf wrote: »

My skin is very sensitive and I can't use any perfumed detergent. I use the blue box of Almat and I never have problems
    Really? The wife and the small lad have bad eczema and can only use Fairy non-bio. Wonder if they'd be OK with this?

Advertisement