Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bassfish wrote: »
    Really? The wife and the small lad have bad eczema and can only use Fairy non-bio. Wonder if they'd be OK with this?

One of my kids has eczema and Aldi's non bio has no effect on him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Bassfish wrote: »
    Really? The wife and the small lad have bad eczema and can only use Fairy non-bio. Wonder if they'd be OK with this?

I don't have eczema so can't say, but I have no issues whatsoever with it

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

B0jangles wrote: »
    B0jangles wrote: »
    It could well be the epoisses - I think someone said that the ones in their Aldi are already too ripe to keep 'til Christmas, so it's probably getting pretty rowdy :p

Update: It's the epoisses.

I just bought one and it's so strong that it made the cooler bag very whiffy within about 2 minutes, so it has been put in strict isolation in a ziplock bag at the back of the fridge.

Just wondering what was this cheese like. On offer in my local Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just wondering what was this cheese like. On offer in my local Aldi.

When is it out of date? If it's very soon and you're not a major fan of extremely smelly cheese then I'd be wary.

I love strong blue cheeses like roquefort and gorgonzola and frankly this stuff was nearly too much by the time we came to eat it - we had to keep whole cheese out of the dining room and brought little bits of it on on a plate because the smell was just too overpowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I bought the Epoisses just out of curiosity (If i were a cat, I'd be very dead :D) and though I found it a bit overpowering, it was nice in small pieces to contrast a very sweet caramelised onion stilton I also had. I'm the only big cheese eater in the house and despite me having the epoisses in a sealed bag, in another bag (!) I came back one day to find it had been dumped for being too smelly. Boooooooo :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Out of date 6th of Jan. Like smelly cheese but don't want to smell out the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Isn’t it meAnt to be one if the smelliest cheeses ever!

I’m the cheese monster, the stronger and smellier the better, had an epossis before out if Avoca and it was heaven on a plate! Ate the whole thing myself though.

Though I’m trying to be good as it’s January so might stay away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I had it before and it absoultely loved it, this time round I think it's a good bit riper so it's about twice as powerful.

If you adore stinky cheese then I'd still say go for it, but I suggest having a couple of ziploc bags/plastic boxes to hand to contain it when you aren't actually eating it - layering is vital if you want to keep the smellyiness under control :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Developing an addiction to their sweetcorn and pepper relish. Only thing left for me to try it on is cornflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Bought fabulous pate here Wild Boar Cranberry & Chestnut..... It is a nice coarse texture and lovely full flavour. Only E1. 60 per beautifully presented sleeve with 2 portions in it. Hope it is not just for Christmas! The French Ossau-Irati Aop ewes milk cheese is a lovely full and nutty flavour too. Again hope not just for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

zell12 wrote: »
    They've stopped stocking their Quixo mix version afaik,
    It is gone now, any existing Quixo stock reduced to 19c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Picked up some Brillat-Savarin cheese whilst sniffing around the leftover christmas stuff. Creamy stuff, not sure it's worth €6 but yes please at €3.

Also loads of beef dripping reduced down to 79c, picked up 10 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

RasTa wrote: »
    Also loads of beef dripping reduced down to 79c, picked up 10 of those.

School sandwiches sorted for the rest of the term! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Heard of these sandwiches that were given back in the day. Bread dipped into a pot of heated beef dripping and wrapped in greaseproof paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Aldi has Potato wedges in the freezer department in a black pack, 1kg.
    They are hands down the best freezer wedges you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not food, but was in Aldi today and there were 4 women in front of me with 6 omelette makers between them.

Apparently they're great?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not food, but was in Aldi today and there were 4 women in front of me with 6 omelette makers between them.

Apparently they're great?
    I've got an omelette maker, it's called a frying pan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Alun wrote: »

I have such a "thing" against single-function appliances. Yoghurt makers. Rice cookers. Tea-makers, ffs. What the hell is wrong with a kettle?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I have such a "thing" against single-function appliances. Yoghurt makers. Rice cookers. Tea-makers, ffs. What the hell is wrong with a kettle?
    Me too, with the singular exception of my bread maker, wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Alun wrote: »

The same thought was in my head standing looking at them.

I was going to ask them why these would make an omelette better than a frying pan, but didn't want to start a fight!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    The same thought was in my head standing looking at them.

I was going to ask them why these would make an omelette better than a frying pan, but didn't want to start a fight!
    Having watched a few videos of such devices, the only advantage I can see to them is if you're making a thicker Spanish omelette/tortilla type of thing it heats from above too, so avoids having to put the frying pan under the grill to finish it off I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Was given a rice cooker - wouldn't be without it now (not that it's actually single function or just for rice), and would definitely replace it if it broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Was given a rice cooker - wouldn't be without it now (not that it's actually single function or just for rice), and would definitely replace it if it broke!

We also got a cheap rice cooker years ago and it's really handy, especially for making a big batch of sushi rice.

Got an ice cream maker as a present, too, and it's amazing for ice cream flavours that you can't get in shops, like black sesame, matcha, cinnamon...

I love them both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Some people will never manage to cook rice properly in a pan on a stove.
    For them, the rice cooker was invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

inforfun wrote: »

I'm a veteran in rice cooking but in a pot you'd not get the same texture that you'd get in a rice cooker. I love said texture but I don't have a rice cooker and I'm too lazy to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I guess the japanese never mastered it, and that's why they developed and popularised the rice cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

I got the omelette maker. Had been keeping an eye for ages on the recommendations of my friend. I've made omelettes and pancakes in it. The advantage is you can put the omelette mix in and go off and do other jobs and you come back to a fluffy perfectly cooked pancake on both sides without having to flip or mind it. Great to bring in to the office

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do mine in the microwave using the absorption method. I have a little measuring cup. It is extremely repeatable if using the same container and amount of rice. Basically bring to the boil and then lower to defrost for 10mins, I know how long it takes to bring to the boil. I don't bother rinsing rice or anything now.

Ideally I could program the microwave, like 2mins high, 10mins defrost. I had the use of one which could almost do this, but stupidly only allowed you go from low to a higher power.

If I was to get any gadgety type thing now it would be an instant pot, if I did not already have a pressure cooker I would have got one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd love some gadget-y things for my kitchen. A waffle maker, yoghurt maker maybe, stand mixer, ice cream maker. But I can't stand clutter in a kitchen. When not in use everything but the kettle (and more recently microwave) is put away so I just don't have the storage for things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I got the omelette maker. Had been keeping an eye for ages on the recommendations of my friend. I've made omelettes and pancakes in it. The advantage is you can put the omelette mix in and go off and do other jobs and you come back to a fluffy perfectly cooked pancake on both sides without having to flip or mind it. Great to bring in to the office

Oh I didn't realise it did pancakes! Can you make them thin and they still brown on both sides? The depth of the slots in the aldi one look quite deep.

Advertisement