Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anyone ever bought cocktail mixes in Aldi?

I was at a function recently and there were lovely cocktails waiting when we got there. Someone told me they were premixed things from Aldi but had no idea what they were called or what they looked like. The really nice one almost definitely had whiskey in it but I've no idea if they come with the alcohol in them or if they're just a mix of things you add whiskey to yourself?

Anyone have any idea if these exist or was I being told lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is this the general discussion thread or the Aldi recommendations thread?;)

Aldi's vegetable soup in a carton is great (the one in the tetra pak type carton 500ml vs the oval shaped cartons), I think it's 1.29, has plenty of veg in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is this the general discussion thread or the Aldi recommendations thread?;)

Actually thought I was in the general thread when I posted above, oops.

Aldi have recently started doing Rice Noodles, which is great news for Gluten Free stirfry making in my house.
    I used to have to go to SV, or Tesco for them, and were far more expensive.

Still loving their Dairyfine milk chocolate as a basic choc fix.
    Nicer than Dairy Milk these days I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Actually thought I was in the general thread when I posted above, oops.

Aldi have recently started doing Rice Noodles, which is great news for Gluten Free stirfry making in my house.
    I used to have to go to SV, or Tesco for them, and were far more expensive.

Still loving their Dairyfine milk chocolate as a basic choc fix.
    Nicer than Dairy Milk these days I reckon.

Rice noodles were available for some time, but I couldn't see them in long time.
    Are these the fresh ones, packed the same way as regular fresh noodles?

Funny how different people notice different products at different time of the year:D

I had them like a year ago and now can't find them:mad:

• Advertisement

ALDI’s pre prepped vegetables in tubs are excellent for quick fix, they have a peas and ham one, carrots sweet corn and peas in a parsley butter one, carrot and parsnip one and a couple of others, pricey enough from I think 1.49 to 1.79 but excellent quality for “convenience food” 3 mins microwave for fresh veg.

They have mashed potato too and it’s really good, salt black pepper and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ok folks, had a few complaints about this thread going waaay off-topic so I've moved all rice cooker and gadgety posts to their very own thread. Feel free to keep the conversation going over there.

Back to Aldi goods please.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Was only just about to post about the rice cooker.

Oh well, I'll put my thoughts on r-ice for now.

Tough crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

They have a lovely chicken biryani in the fridge, medium sized portion, decent lunch if your feeling lazy. They have a veggie version too.
    It even comes with rice that doesn't need any fancy rice cooker!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

.red. wrote: »
    They have a lovely chicken biryani in the fridge, medium sized portion, decent lunch if your feeling lazy. They have a veggie version too.
    It even comes with rice that doesn't need any fancy rice cooker!
    Yes, I've had both, quite tasty for a super quick lazy lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Did they discontinue the German Bratwurst they took into stock a few months ago? I couldn't find them today in my Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

LirW wrote: »
    Did they discontinue the German Bratwurst they took into stock a few months ago? I couldn't find them today in my Aldi!

They are summer BBQ stock. They will reappear sometime after easter. Has been that way for a few years.

They better do, would be down for some proper Bratwurst!

Does Aldi actually stock any real butter? (Not spreads?)

They better do, would be down for some proper Bratwurst!

Does Aldi actually stock any real butter? (Not spreads?)

They have a butter with packaging you would mistake for Kerrygold. It's pretty good, not sure I could tell the difference between them.

You mean in a tub or wrapped? Do you also know how much it is?
    My man hates the wrappers, they drive him mental, so I'm not really allowed buying them :rolleyes:

You mean in a tub or wrapped? Do you also know how much it is?
    My man hates the wrappers, they drive him mental, so I'm not really allowed buying them :rolleyes:

It's in a wrapper. Can't remember the price but it's about half of Kerrygold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Love the Aldi butter. Wish you could get proper garlic butter in there though, those little green garlic and herb things are horrible.

Thargor wrote: »
    Love the Aldi butter. Wish you could get proper garlic butter in there though, those little green garlic and herb things are horrible.

I was looking at flavoured butters in Aldi today. Not sure I've seen them before, might be new? They were beside the pastry in the cooler in little cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Straight in for the filet steaks turn ,pay and back out again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

They have a butter with packaging you would mistake for Kerrygold. It's pretty good, not sure I could tell the difference between them.

My personal favourite of all the versions our there, I keep butter in the fridge and this seems to be best in terms of being most spreadable within a short time of removal (I don't like keeping it out of the fridge all the time, too soft). It's €2.19 per lb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The green one of those is he one Im talking about, horrible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Flavoured sparkling water about 80c for a 2 litre bottle, swapped that for fizzy drinks it's so tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

vicwatson wrote: »
    ALDI’s pre prepped vegetables in tubs are excellent for quick fix, they have a peas and ham one, carrots sweet corn and peas in a parsley butter one, carrot and parsnip one and a couple of others, pricey enough from I think 1.49 to 1.79 but excellent quality for “convenience food” 3 mins microwave for fresh veg.

They have mashed potato too and it’s really good, salt black pepper and butter.

I haven't seen the mashed potato in a long time, no local shops near me seem to stock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I dont really follow. It's mashed potato? So you steam 2 spuds and mash them? Maybe you add salt, milk, butter. Maybe you dont.

Why would you buy a mashed spud?

I dont really follow. It's mashed potato? So you steam 2 spuds and mash them? Maybe you add salt, milk, butter. Maybe you dont.

Because it's quicker and less work?

This thread has gone a bit odd of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Because it's quicker and less work?

This thread has gone a bit odd of late.

Can you do it in a rice cooker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I was looking at flavoured butters in Aldi today. Not sure I've seen them before, might be new? They were beside the pastry in the cooler in little cylinders.

They've had them a good while. Since early last year anyway. I've only had the chilli and lime one and I wasn't impressed, tbh. Very little flavour and overpoweringly salty. I went back to just making my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Pretty much all Irish creamery butter (the real, salted stuff) is of the same quality. The milk is all coming from the same co-ops, Kerrygold don't have their own herd.

God, I love real butter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

km79 wrote: »
    Can you do it in a rice cooker ?

Mod note:Hilarious - but we're staying on topic now and unless you have something to contribute then please don't bother posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Animus Duoro, very very good.

Bratwurst seemed to fade out towards the end of the summer, loved the chilli ones.

Advertisement