Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

vicwatson wrote: »
    Love the houmous with pesto - 1.49
    Hummous with pesto?

Seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh in aldi ready meals if you need something for for a rainy day..

Their lasagne is really good!
    Theres a frozen chicken curry in that same range and its a lovely curry, I throw a few frozen peas and broccoli in with it and its a proper meal for a Euro or whatever it is, well not proper obviously but better than buying the same thing for €7 in a takeaway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a frozen chicken curry in that same range and its a lovely curry, I throw a few frozen peas and broccoli in with it and its a proper meal for a Euro or whatever it is, well not proper obviously but better than buying the same thing for €7 in a takeaway...

This one is actually a fresh one it's over where all the soup and fresh pizzas are :) But must try that it sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Aldi jaffa cakes. Way way nicer than mcvities or Jacobs!!

Plus they do the cherry ones which are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Cool wrote: »
    Their fresh fillets of salmon are spot on, about 3.90 for two, the same as what I've seen in Tesco for about €6.

All of their biscuits. Their own-brand Oreos, Jaffa Cakes, penguins, kit-kats, Toffee pops, etc - all just as good if not better than the branded ones.

Their juices are all lovely as well, and not very expensive for the not-from-concentrate ones similar to Tropicana and the like.

Especially love their Milk Chocolate Digestive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have say find their meat very good

Chicken and Steak is very good in my opinion.

Cause I been trying eat healthy for while their Supersix is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hummous with pesto?

Seriously???

Yeh, what?

Yeh, what?
    Just sounds like a REALLY bizarre combination.....

it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

it's not

Tried it yesterday, it's nice imo.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    Tried it yesterday, it's nice imo.

Yeah I always put hummus and pesto together on crackers I love it

Try it.

Its just drizzled with Pesto on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Love the houmous with pesto - 1.49

I dont think it is as nice as it was a few months ago. They are starting to go very light on the hummus recently too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought the big bag of frozen cod fillets, have to say they were lovely! Small, you really need two - but a fraction of the price of buying fresh and if you are making a fish pie or something like that you'd never know the difference.

Also I love the pizzas, not the boxed ones - they are in a clear plastic round wrapping.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I dont think it is as nice as it was a few months ago. They are starting to go very light on the hummus recently too

Saw the new one in store - Morrocan Houmous - Chickpeas with morrocan spices, haven't tried it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Zascar wrote: »
    I bought the big bag of frozen cod fillets, have to say they were lovely! Small, you really need two - but a fraction of the price of buying fresh and if you are making a fish pie or something like that you'd never know the difference.

Also I love the pizzas, not the boxed ones - they are in a clear plastic round wrapping.

Frozen fish bags are great for fish pie or chowder. :)
    I have a bag each of salmon, cod, smoked haddock, prawns in freezer and just grab a couple of chunks out of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I like anything from their specially selected range;

I've tried;

-fresh pasta
    -tortellini
    -sourdough bread
    -chorizo
    -parmasan
    -italiam cold meat selection
    -raw frozen prawns
    -french malbec
    -striploin steaks

I could go on but I'm very seldom disappointed when i keep within specially selected. Its often still cheaper than the price of regular branded products and excellent quality.

I also buy some tinned products there such as chickpeas, tomatoes, pineapple etc and their salt and pepper grinders are great and much cheaper than the alternatives elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

the garlic bread from Aldi is delicious, i often make it with spaghetti bolognese kinda like this
    http://images.mysupermarket.co.uk/ProductsDetailed/70/295270.jpg?v=5

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

...their salt and pepper grinders are great and much cheaper than the alternatives elsewhere.
    ... and , unlike the Lidl versions, are refillable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I must try some new things.

But I have my faves, and I'm in and out in ten minutes as a result.

OK, Kavanaghs porridge,

Mc Grath's tea

Brown soda sliced

Big tub Greek yogurt unflavoured.

Sugar free Blackcurrant high juice (great for faux Kir lol)

Ardagh mature sliced cheese.

Cream cheese with garlic and herbs.

Cod fillets

Fizzy multivitamins (Berocca on the cheap).

I love that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Tried the 'Tomato and Mascarpone' stir in pasta sauce last night and thought it was lovely.

Also,

Garlic wrap, spread with some 'Tasty & Sweet Tomato Relish' some sliced 'Ardagh Extra mature Cheddar'* and some chopped onions. Roll it up, pop it into the George grill for a few min's, Yummy.

* must be the white one, orange is much rubberier. I open the white Cheddar a few weeks before I am going to use it and it goes lovely and crumbly.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Tried the 'Tomato and Mascarpone' stir in pasta sauce last night and thought it was lovely.

Also,

Garlic wrap, spread with some 'Tasty & Sweet Tomato Relish' some sliced 'Ardagh Extra mature Cheddar'* and some chopped onions. Roll it up, pop it into the George grill for a few min's, Yummy.

* must be the white one, orange is much rubberier. I open the white Cheddar a few weeks before I am going to use it and it goes lovely and crumbly.

That pasta sauce is gawjus!

They have new sausages like mr pink mr blue mr yellow or the likes, had the smoky one, I think it's mr yellow and it was v nice. Think 1.99 for 6. 80% pork.

I tried one of their Specially Selected quiches yesterday - the maple bacon and gruyere one and it was very delicious indeed. Maybe a bit light on the filling-to-pastry ratio, but the pastry was gorgeous, really crispy. Have the other one in the freezer to try soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Jim Murphy 69

Has anyone tried new wafers called "Knopper"?

They come in a light blue wrapper and are made by Storck.

They are tasty enough to make a trip to Aldi for!

Their microwave popcorn is as good as the branded alternatives.

Aldi sour cream as as good as avonmore and way cheaper.

Their spreadable butter (in a green tub) is really good, tastes as close to real butter as you could get for a spreadable.

Multigrain crackers great also (red box)

Specially selected sausages are really really tasty.

They have new sausages like mr pink mr blue mr yellow or the likes, had the smoky one, I think it's mr yellow and it was v nice. Think 1.99 for 6. 80% pork.
    Didnt realise they were 80%, will give them a go thanks, not sure the packaging is as appetising as it could be though.
    Has anyone tried new wafers called "Knopper"?

They come in a light blue wrapper and are made by Storck.

They are tasty enough to make a trip to Aldi for!
    Love them, have one with my tea every morning.

I see those nice curries and sweet and sour chickens over in the freezer have been updated aswell, they've added a black bean beef and eggfried rice one that looks lovely, havent tried it yet but the sweet and sour chicken is my favourite ready meal for when Im feeling lazy, €2.50 each is a bargain.

Seemed like a lot of new stuff added this week from the quick look I had.

Oh yeah they finally added spreadable cheeses aswell, a strong mature one and a regular type, havent tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The brown bread winner from the Ploughing Championship is in Aldi now. It is one of the nicest breads I have eaten and is sliced. Only €1.49 I think.

The salmon sensation tub is also delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh yeah they finally added spreadable cheeses aswell, a strong mature one and a regular type, havent tried them yet.

Ooh really? Like Charleville/LowLow?
    I absolutely love cheese spread (not Philadelphia)...gonna look out for those.
    Thanks!

Advertisement