Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Animus Duoro, very very good.

Bratwurst seemed to fade out towards the end of the summer, loved the chilli ones.

The chilli one is divine in a hotdog bun with a layer of their hotdog pickle on top.

Putting me in the mood for one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

Did anyone try these please?
    How many fillets are in the offer, are they a decent size?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Some of them are halfed, some of them are small full size chicken breasts. It's one kilo, I use them for batch cooking, handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

The pulled pork in the box was back in the Aldis in Galway, I picked up three boxes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Aldis version of 'yop' drinks taste exactly the same!

The caramelised onion hummus is delicious on the multigrain crackers.

The basmati rice is quite good too,

IMO I'd rather have no mash if I was gonna eat packet pre mashed mash.

Their weetabix is identical to the real thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Actually the best thing I've ever bought from Aldi was a smoothie maker that came with a book of recipes and two removeable litre beaker type things that you blend the smoothie in. €22 and it works perfectly a year later with plenty of use!! I also use it as a food processor, making breadcrumbs and soup.

Was in a neighbours for dinner last night, and even though I'm generally a beer man (ales to be precise) I was poured a few glasses of red wine and i have to say it was very good.

Can't for the life of me remember the name, but it was Australian and had a tractor on the bottle.

It was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Was in a neighbours for dinner last night, and even though I'm generally a beer man (ales to be precise) I was poured a few glasses of red wine and i have to say it was very good.

Can't for the life of me remember the name, but it was Australian and had a tractor on the bottle.

It was very enjoyable.
    Rather fittingly, it's called Iron Horse, a Shiraz if I'm not mistaken.

Alun wrote: »
    Rather fittingly, it's called Iron Horse, a Shiraz if I'm not mistaken.

Thats the one. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldis version of 'yop' drinks taste exactly the same!

The caramelised onion hummus is delicious on the multigrain crackers.

The basmati rice is quite good too,

IMO I'd rather have no mash if I was gonna eat packet pre mashed mash.

Their weetabix is identical to the real thing

Try the pre packed mash before you judge IMO, it really is very good, and so handy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

vicwatson wrote: »
    Try the pre packed mash before you judge IMO, it really is very good, and so handy

Yes, as someone who is very fussy about mash I can say I like both Aldi and Dunnes' mash. They're also great for making gnocchi, fish cakes or potato bread for having with a fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

vicwatson wrote: »

The mash is lovely, and if memory serves me correctly the ingredients are along the lines of just potato, butter, milk and salt/pepper. It’s a very short ingredients list which is usually a good sign. The carrot&parsnip mash is lovely as well.
    The same range also has gratin garlic potato which is really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sillysocks wrote: »
    The mash is lovely, and if memory serves me correctly the ingredients are along the lines of just potato, butter, milk and salt/pepper. It’s a very short ingredients list which is usually a good sign. The carrot&parsnip mash is lovely as well.
    The same range also has gratin garlic potato which is really tasty.

Yep thats the mash ingredients, handy to have in the fridge if in from work late some night, 4 mins microwave and done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I don't normally like pre pack dinners but I'll definitely make an exception for that mash. It's very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

There are some very good chips like the original Pringles, but they are called Stackers if i remember properly. They cost half and they taste very similar.

There are some very good chips like the original Pringles, but they are called Stackers if i remember properly. They cost half and they taste very similar.
    I actually prefer them to real Pringles to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

Me too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Me too, the salt and vinegar ones are fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've bought them a couple of times and had to stop - I just had to accept that I cannot be trusted with a tube of stackers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The green, sour cream and onion are like a completely different flavour to the pringles. Really nice tho, I'd buy them over before the big brand ones any day

• Advertisement

Yes, I bought a tube of real Pringles the other day and was disappointed, although I think I remember them being nicer. Maybe Pringles have changed their recipe, and Stackers are closer to the old Pringles recipe, I don't know.

I loved pringles, they aren't the same anymore than they were ages ago. But deffo have to try the stackers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Another vote for salt and vinegar stackers!! I don't allow myself to buy them much anymore. Much nicer than Pringle s imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The Stackers seem a lot less greasy than Pringles. I'm more of a sweet than savoury person but I do think they're tasty.

They didn't pass the young test in our house.

Both the wife and I think they're excellent, one of the kids however has decided that they taste different/not as nice anymore. (We never told her they were any different to the Pringles she has tasted. )

Up nor down will she eat them though.

But on the other hand they are kids, they have no tastebuds or any clue about what's good or not.

LirW wrote: »
    But on the other hand they are kids, they have no tastebuds or any clue about what's good or not.

I think we'll agree to disagree on the no taste bud part, because kids only eat stuff that tastes good, not stuff that's good for them.

Place a bag of chocolate covered donuts and a bag of steamed broccoli in front of a kid, and watch which bag they'll choose every single time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A while back there was a lot of lamenting over the changing of the Moser Roth chocolate bars from 5 small bars to one large one.

Well, the 5 small bars are back. Treated myself to a sea salt one today just cos I saw them! The usual 70%, 85% and whatever other varieties were there as well.

There was also a bit of hand-wringing over suspected recipe change - well this one tasted exactly the same (and as good) as I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Excellent news re the 5 bar chocolate bars - can put my placards away now :D:D

Out of interest do they still have the new lindt-style ones as well or have they abandoned them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My husband brought back one of those Roisins handmade chocolate bars that they sell. I love chocolate but this was way way too sweet and not very creamy. I wouldn't bother again tbh.

Advertisement