Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Icsics

What are the wedges like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Icsics wrote: »
    What are the wedges like?

The 'Specially Selected' ones in the black bag are lovely.

Thanks, are there sweet potato wedges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No, they're just regular, but I think they do sweet potato wedges too. If not, Tesco definitely do.

No, they're just regular, but I think they do sweet potato wedges too. If not, Tesco definitely do.

That’s great Rhubarb, picked them up to try tonight, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

They are absolutely gorgeous and the nicest ones that you can buy imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They do sweet potato fries in the same range and they taste exactly like the ones you pay more than twice the price for in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are these absolutely massive? They feel like whole spuds in the bag when I picked it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Thargor wrote: »
    Are these absolutely massive? They feel like whole spuds in the bag when I picked it up.

I got a bag a while ago and yes, they were absolutely massive - like if you were to cut a 6-inch long spud which weighed over a pound into about 6 wedges - big.

I didn't like them at all - the ratio of crispy outsides to fluffy insides is all wrong.

They were lovely & very filling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Excellent news re the 5 bar chocolate bars - can put my placards away now :D:D

Out of interest do they still have the new lindt-style ones as well or have they abandoned them?
    Not a clue - the sea-salt ones caught my eye, I copped the 5 bars were back and thought of this thread, and then I removed myself sharpish from the chocolate department!

B0jangles wrote: »
    I got a bag a while ago and yes, they were absolutely massive - like if you were to cut a 6-inch long spud which weighed over a pound into about 6 wedges - big.

I didn't like them at all - the ratio of crispy outsides to fluffy insides is all wrong.
    Yeah I dont like that at all, cant get good wedges anywhere, spicy ones I mean, even the ones from deli counters are bland as feck, I remember when they first appeared back in the day and they would burn the mouth off you. Even McCain super hot or whatever they were called a while ago were just bland with a bit of a salty taste, might have to have a go at homemade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yeah I dont like that at all, cant get good wedges anywhere, spicy ones I mean, even the ones from deli counters are bland as feck, I remember when they first appeared back in the day and they would burn the mouth off you. Even McCain super hot or whatever they were called a while ago were just bland with a bit of a salty taste, might have to have a go at homemade.

Just slice them the way you like and add the seasoning (if you like the taste, check the label to see what they add).

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

So after the wedges in the black bag were such a success I got the Maris Piper crinkle cut chips, 1,5kg for 1.99. They are equally gorgeous!

I had the rest of the normal wedges from Aldi and some of the fancy ones, to use the rests in the bag up. You can see and taste the difference, it's enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I picked up the sweet potato burgers today to bring for lunch tomorrow, they were along side the cous cous and falafel. There was beetroot burgers too. Anyone tried either of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I picked up the sweet potato burgers today to bring for lunch tomorrow, they were along side the cous cous and falafel. There was beetroot burgers too. Anyone tried either of these?

I didn’t like them myself tbh. Very dry

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Snap! Also bought these today. Not tried them yet. Will try throwing some Hellmans mayo over them, see if that reduces dryness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had them the other day, and as others have said were a bit dry, but a dollop of sweet chilli sauce sorted that out :)

Have the beetroot ones in the fridge for tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wonski wrote: »
    Just slice them the way you like and add the seasoning (if you like the taste, check the label to see what they add).

Easy.
    +1, I will lash out almost an entire bag onto the likes of a baking tray and throw back in over or undersized bits. It you get very large ones I would cut them in half, I find a butchers knife is best, with a folded towel over the top so you can just sink the blade through easily.

I have had 2 bags on the go to get several "lots" of uniform sized stuff to cook.

I bought a haggis for €2, never had it before, anybody tried them yet?

2650049.main_image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

2650049.main_image.jpg

I've not tried that brand, but haggis is lovely. Have it with buttery mashed potatoes and mashed turnip. Yum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had one last year, quite liked it actually. They can be a bit dry sometimes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ALDI are selling off a Scotch whisky gift set, three single malt 'minis' from the Highlands & Islands, and a Glencairn-style whisk(e)y tasting glass.
    It's now €10 reduced from €20. Might be a nice one to crack open on Burns Night!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

odyssey06 wrote: »
    ALDI are selling off a Scotch whisky gift set, three single malt 'minis' from the Highlands & Islands, and a Glencairn-style whisk(e)y tasting glass.
    It's now €10 reduced from €20. Might be a nice one to crack open on Burns Night!

Sounds like its at a realistic price now. €20 was too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I've not tried that brand, but haggis is lovely. Have it with buttery mashed potatoes and mashed turnip. Yum. :)

Please, Neeps and Tatties if you will.

;). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

I had haggis, neeps (turnips) and tatties (spuds) many years ago and liked it so decided to subject my family to an Aldi haggis last year and in a word it was manky, really horrible. I don't think it was how it was cooked as the process IIRC is fairly foolproof and basically just involves warming the haggis and serving.

Does anyone know if this is the same brand / style as last year? If not I'd be prepared to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Had the Aldi Haggis last night, it was lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had haggis, neeps (turnips) and tatties (spuds) many years ago and liked it so decided to subject my family to an Aldi haggis last year and in a word it was manky, really horrible. I don't think it was how it was cooked as the process IIRC is fairly foolproof and basically just involves warming the haggis and serving.

Does anyone know if this is the same brand / style as last year? If not I'd be prepared to give it another go.

I remember getting a haggis in Aldi before and really not liking it. I can't remember the brand, though.
    I really like the M&S one. More expensive but really tasty and nice texture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Interestingly enough, haggis is banned in the US, as they consider lungs to be inedible. (perhaps they are right).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, haggis is banned in the US, as they consider lungs to be inedible. (perhaps they are right).

Ah don't mind them, they've also banned Kinder Eggs in case children choke on the toy :rolleyes:

Advertisement