Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Picked up the haggis last night, read the ingredients, stopped reading at pork lungs - put haggis back on shelf and backed away slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

As a Dutch person I consider raw herring a treat.
    But haggis will never end up in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Picked up the haggis last night, read the ingredients, stopped reading at pork lungs - put haggis back on shelf and backed away slowly.

What's the problem? My grandmother* used to cook heart and lung in a sweet and sour sauce. Ate loads of it when I was a child and am still alive. We'd also eat liver and tongue on a regular basis, simply because they were cheap. Still love the two latter.

*Just to clarify, my grandmother was from Silesia, not China ;)

What's the problem? My grandmother* used to cook heart and lung in a sweet and sour sauce. Ate loads of it when I was a child and am still alive. We'd also eat liver and tongue on a regular basis, simply because they were cheap. Still love the two latter.

*Just to clarify, my grandmother was from Silesia, not China ;)
    inforfun wrote: »
    As a Dutch person I consider raw herring a treat.
    But haggis will never end up in my mouth.

I'm thinking of the scene in pulp fiction where Jules makes the sewer rat / pumpkin pie reference. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I picked up a box of the gingerbread Polar bars recently (the Aldi version of Icebergers). I generally love all things gingerbread, so I expected to like these. Must admit to being very disappointed, quite an artificial flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There are no pieces of lung or liver in the haggis. It’s just like a dry black pudding.

There are no pieces of lung or liver in the haggis. It’s just like a dry black pudding.

From memory I think it said pork lungs was 37%.

Enough to give me second thoughts anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Errm, yes there are, in fact it's number one on the list of ingredients at 33%, and seeing as there's no blood in it it's nothing like a black pudding either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm hedging my bets for dinner tomorrow night.

Just popped into Aldi and got the haggis + a turnip and have some spuds but also got some rib eye steaks so it's haggis, neeps and tatties for me and steak, neeps and tatties for anyone who doesn't want haggis.

What a coward I am :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I really, really like black pudding, I also know what's in it and I just don't care.
    Haggis tho, on paper is no worse, but for the life of me I couldn't taste it. The thought of it turns my stomach.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    I really, really like black pudding, I also know what's in it and I just don't care.
    Haggis tho, on paper is no worse, but for the life of me I couldn't taste it. The thought of it turns my stomach.
    Seriously though, it's all minced into tiny pieces and so highly spiced, it could be anything you're eating. No worse than eating any other offal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    Seriously though, it's all minced into tiny pieces and so highly spiced, it could be anything you're eating. No worse than eating any other offal really.

Yes.
    I'm not a great offal eater but I love haggis.
    I do find it similar to a loose, grainy black pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ah don't mind them, they've also banned Kinder Eggs in case children choke on the toy :rolleyes:

I think the idea was to prevent people choking on things in Barm Brack like rings and shillings and peas etc, its just the law stated that you cannot sell a food with an object concealed within it.
    Kinder eggs fell foul of the terminology used in drafting the law.

I wonder is this why toys don't come in cornflakes any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I know, it's more of a mental thing, I just can't bring myself to taste it.
    Id happily eat pudding every morning of the week and that's not exactly full of goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

.red. wrote: »
    I know, it's more of a mental thing, I just can't bring myself to taste it.
    Id happily eat pudding every morning of the week and that's not exactly full of goodness.
    I thought pudding was full of goodness - just maybe not the sort of goodness you might want to know the gory (fnar) details of.....

Mind you, I also thought haggis was basically the same as pudding, and was rather startled to read of lungs being involved :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

According to a trustworthy source (Earthworm Jim) it is the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep, boiled in its own stomach. I will never remember or believe any other description.

From what I remember it tastes pretty much like a grainy white pudding

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres definitely lungs and heart in it, they're the main ingredient on the back. Anyway I tried it and its absolutely disgusting, pure dogfood/offal. It smelled okay raw, I was expecting it to turn out like a large black pudding but I nearly gagged on the steam when I was breaking it up with the fork, it reminded me of a neighbour boiling up bags of free meat for his greyhounds out in the shed when we were kids, just pure offal, worst thing Ive ever bought in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    According to a trustworthy source (Earthworm Jim) it is the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep, boiled in its own stomach. I will never remember or believe any other description.
    I think they meant there are not big bits of noticeable bits in it. It is just minced up and like eating black pudding or sausages.

I had it in hotels and liked it, reminded me of white pudding. If I had read the lungs bit I might have given it a miss, especially after a heap of pints the day before.

Have the beetroot ones in the fridge for tomorrow, so fingers crossed.
    Well, the beetroot ones are much much better, lovely and moist ... IMO at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

DavyD_83 wrote: »

From what I remember it tastes pretty much like a grainy white pudding

The Aldi one is all pig. I’m sure that would make a difference to the taste even with a load of seasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres definitely lungs and heart in it, they're the main ingredient on the back. Anyway I tried it and its absolutely disgusting, pure dogfood/offal. It smelled okay raw, I was expecting it to turn out like a large black pudding but I nearly gagged on the steam when I was breaking it up with the fork, it reminded me of a neighbour boiling up bags of free meat for his greyhounds out in the shed when we were kids, just pure offal, worst thing Ive ever bought in Aldi.
    If it's the same one, I found the Aldi one really awful too. It is not a good example of how haggis can be. You're probably turned off for life (I probably would have been if it was the first haggis I'd tried) but I would urge you to try the M&S one. It's really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If it's the same one, I found the Aldi one really awful too. It is not a good example of how haggis can be. You're probably turned off for life (I probably would have been if it was the first haggis I'd tried) but I would urge you to try the M&S one. It's really lovely.
    It is a bit bizarre that it claims to be the worlds favourite haggis on the packet but then its all pig no sheep, which some people would say is not even a haggis...

Im sure Ill be back in Scotland at some point to try a proper one but I think thats the last time Ill try cooking one at home, that was by far the worst meat product I have ever tried in my life.

Thargor wrote: »
    It is a bit bizarre that it claims to be the worlds favourite haggis on the packet but then its all pig no sheep, which some people would say is not even a haggis...

Im sure Ill be back in Scotland at some point to try a proper one but I think thats the last time Ill try cooking one at home, that was by far the worst meat product I have ever tried in my life.

That was my understanding also, haggis was from parts of a sheep's stomach (or something) so can't understand how its being marketed as Scotland's favourite. (Or the world's or whatever)

I lived with a few Scots over the years, and they always ranted and raved about their haggis and square sausage and how I had to try it.

Eh, I don't really fancy eating anything that has lungs and stomach in it lads. Might be perfectly lovely, and I've probably even eaten worse parts of an animal lots of times before.

But not knowingly.

The Aussies used to exclaim that one of the pies that was very popular over there (Mrs Macs was the brand I believe) was made from "ear hole, eye hole and ass hole" - and it possibly was, and it tasted great!

I just don't think I'd have been lashing the ketchup over them and using them as hangover cures if it listed all the holes on the packaging ingredients. :)

Somethings are best left never said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A few gripes this morning in Aldi Ardkeen Waterford - no cooking apples, no margarine and tomatoes, a third of which had "gone over" and were split/gooey with some rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The mild pepperoni packets are great on top of those frozen pizzas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Aldi had Vermincelli and folded rice noodles for a while, suddenly they are gone! I really liked them, they were brilliant for some mad Pad Thai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

No orange and almond bars, no passata, no pickles, no cauliflower rice in Aldi Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The Specially Selected chocolate covered macadamia nuts in a little black tin are incredibly good! Reduced to €1.99, not an amazingly low price for the amount you get but seems very cheap for macadamias and the quality of the chocolate is spot on! Someone else buy them please, before I go back and clean 'em out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

LirW wrote: »
    Aldi had Vermincelli and folded rice noodles for a while, suddenly they are gone! I really liked them, they were brilliant for some mad Pad Thai.

Saw the vermicelli rice noodles in Aldi, in Carlow today. They were in one of the special offers baskets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Does anyone else find the Bilash Boil in the bag white rice (in the red box) strange? The grains look short and they feel firm yet mushy. I know I'm not explaining this very well but it's odd.

Advertisement