Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Got the cheap 200g fruit & nut bar. I was surprised to see it was almonds & raisins, as its usually hazelnuts in these bars. It is pretty good, the fruit was not totally dried out. I am not sure if they are new, they are about E1.29

In lidl the comparable cheap 200g wholenut bar has far more nuts. I think the wholenut in aldi is about 13% which is on a par with dairy milk, but in lidl I think it is about 20%.

In some places the hazelnuts contained in the lidl one would cost more than the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Has the milled linseed gone? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Owryan wrote: »
    Saw the vermicelli rice noodles in Aldi, in Carlow today. They were in one of the special offers baskets.

Yeah, this is where I saw them in Gorey too, they went from the permanent shelf, to the basket and now they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

No, they have changed the packaging and are now calling it Milled Flaxseed. A little box on the pack states that flaxseed is also known as linseed.

• Advertisement

No, they have changed the packaging and are now calling it Milled Flaxseed. A little box on the pack states that flaxseed is also known as linseed.
    I saw that today, it's all very confusing ... despite the almost identical packaging it's a different brand as well, "The Foodie Market" on the new one and "Harvest Morn" on the old one. Googling reveals that they are one and the same, although the photo on the flaxseed package does look darker than the other stuff did, we'll see.

Edit: Just spotted somewhere that there are two kinds of linseed/flaxseed ... golden and brown, so that would explain it, the other packet definitely says its golden.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Have to say their "less than 5% fat" burgers are delicious. Best burgers I've ever bought in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The latte macchiato iced coffees in the fridge are lovely. 99c each.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Have to say their "less than 5% fat" burgers are delicious. Best burgers I've ever bought in a shop.
    Yeah I love them, perfect Airfryer burgers but in Summer I squash them flat and throw them on the barbecue. If there are Angus burgers on offer Ill switch to them but I dont really notice any difference. With the Brioche buns and whatever nice looking cheese I see on the day I dont bother with takeaway cheeseburgers anymore, I do nicer at home for half the price. I wish they hadnt teased us with the sesame seed brioche buns before they disappeared last year though, those would be perfection.

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah I love them, perfect Airfryer burgers but in Summer I squash them flat and throw them on the barbecue. If there are Angus burgers on offer Ill switch to them but I dont really notice any difference. With the Brioche buns and whatever nice looking cheese I see on the day I dont bother with takeaway cheeseburgers anymore, I do nicer at home for half the price. I wish they hadnt teased us with the sesame seed brioche buns before they disappeared last year though, those would be perfection.

I fry mine on my cast iron pan. Chop some onion and throw it in when I flip them. Take it all out and put the brioche buns in cut side down to crisp them a bit. Then burger back in one at a time with a good few slices of Aldi's vintage cheddar and do the steam trick to melt it. Then slap it all on the buns with a good dollop of sauce. Bush bash bosh. Mmmmmmmmmm burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not sure where to post this. My local Aldi has started renovations recently.
    Small extension to the side of store and probably a revamp to the store.
    Does anybody know how long this will take? Store and carpark is a disaster at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

They are usually pretty quick with that, give it a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Might get a more definite answer if you ask in the store.

I notice they don't seem to be doing the lovely fish cakes anymore. They've got salmon ones and cod ones but they're in completely different packaging and have a crumb batter on them rather than the nice oat one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I notice they don't seem to be doing the lovely fish cakes anymore. They've got salmon ones and cod ones but they're in completely different packaging and have a crumb batter on them rather than the nice oat one.

They still have them, I presume you refer to the Specially Selected ones rather than regular ones in blue coloured packaging.

Had Thai style ones recently and they were nice. They definitely have them, might have been out of stock when you were looking for them.

Yes, they're both still there, usually next to each other. As I've said before I actually prefer the regular ones, more fish content IMO.

I haven't seen them for a while now. To be honest, the last few times I had them they weren't as nice as the used to be. Will keep an eye out for them if other stores still have them.

I haven't seen them for a while now. To be honest, the last few times I had them they weren't as nice as the used to be. Will keep an eye out for them if other stores still have them.
    Loads of both sorts in the Bray Aldi today.

Owryan wrote: »
    Might get a more definite answer if you ask in the store.

We asked Today and the answer is June!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Love Grainne's Rich Fruit Loaf (in the adorable Alice in Wonderland print packaging) for only €1.15; perfect buttered and served with a cuppa.

Really enjoyed the Ballymore Soft Multigrain Rolls for lunch today, too. 75cent for four.

They also have mini tortilla wraps for 69c. You get eight in the pack and I love that they're mini. I find the large wraps a bit too big but these are perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone else a fan of the imitation Magnums? I love them, but I wish they did a box of the dark choc ones - the almond ones are nice but the milk chocolate on them is far too sweet. The mini ones have dark choc ones in them - but also milk and white choc, yuck!

Must email Aldi and make a special request!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fussyonion wrote: »
    Love Grainne's Rich Fruit Loaf (in the adorable Alice in Wonderland print packaging) for only €1.15; perfect buttered and served with a cuppa.

Oh I like the sound of this! Haven't heard of it before. Is it moist? I don'tlike dry crumbly fruit cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Oh I like the sound of this! Haven't heard of it before. Is it moist? I don'tlike dry crumbly fruit cake.

It's more a bread than a cake, but quite moist. I am having a slice toasted with butter melting and a cuppa for brekkie.

Never noticed the Alice in Wonderland on the wrapping before!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The purple sweet potatoes seem to be gone, they must have been a seasonal item. Shame, they were absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Grainnes oxford lunch cake is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Gráinne this, Gráinne that!
    Anyone know which company makes them for Aldi?
    However, conserves by Folláin are marketed under the same name, so I suspect it is simply an Aldi marketing brand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Has anyone tried the veggie burgers? There's sweet potato ones and beetroot ones. I got them because they're gluten free, but not cooked them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Picked up Aldis mini eggs today. Didn't even recognise they weren't the original cadbury ones or whatever brand until I got home! Taste the same too and only 75c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

madmaggie wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the veggie burgers? There's sweet potato ones and beetroot ones. I got them because they're gluten free, but not cooked them yet.

There’s a few posts on them a couple of pages back, few people thought the sweet potato ones were dry but I’ve had them since and really liked them. Didn’t try the beetroot ones.

• Advertisement

I saw a few posts back about the fish cakes my local Aldi still had all the normal ones and specially selected!

Advertisement