Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The lambshanks in Moroccan Tagine sauce are REALLY good value at only €2.99

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 30,736 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting... are they in the chilled or frozen section?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Bought both, but so far only tried the Beetroot ones. Very tasty, baked in the oven, and i added a small dollop of mayo and side salad. Agree that they probably wouldn't be ideal in a bun. Must try the Sweet Potato version this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The sweet potato ones are lovely for a lunch with salads :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

We asked Today and the answer is June!

Something to look forward to for the summer so, might distract you from the rain lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The purple sweet potatoes seem to be gone, they must have been a seasonal item. Shame, they were absolutely gorgeous.
    Booooo !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Icsics

iora_rua wrote: »
    Bought both, but so far only tried the Beetroot ones. Very tasty, baked in the oven, and i added a small dollop of mayo and side salad. Agree that they probably wouldn't be ideal in a bun. Must try the Sweet Potato version this week!
    What section are these in?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Owryan wrote: »
    Something to look forward to for the summer so, might distract you from the rain lol.

I'm fairly pathetic it's on my list of events on the countdown to Christmas. Our Lidl is also being rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Icsics wrote: »

They’re in the fridge with the prepared veg and potatoes, fresh pizzas etc.

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    They’re in the fridge with the prepared veg and potatoes, fresh pizzas etc.

In my one it's in with the beside the fresh lamb! (Just look in both places)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    With the Brioche buns and whatever nice looking cheese I see on the day I dont bother with takeaway cheeseburgers anymore, I do nicer at home for half the price. I wish they hadnt teased us with the sesame seed brioche buns
    The gourmet burger buns are pretty good too. Similar to those in supermacs gourmet ones.

These are what they look like

38402dd40caafffba6dac77b5dfd4876--grilled-chicken-sandwiches-ireland.jpg

The brioche burger & hotdog buns are relatively expensive compared to the brioche bags of small rolls, I think all the supermarkets must be price matching the small rolls. I make rectangular mini slider burgers with the rolls. I am pretty sure they are a bit sweeter than the burger buns though. Can seem bit weird till you cop on ketchup is loaded with sugar. The mini buns are also ideal for those stupidly skinny hotdogs you get which get lost in a normal hotdog roll.

If you want to mimic "gourmet burger" places in dublin check out this youtube channel. Most of them use the similar techniques which are easy enough to replicate. They talk a lot at the start so skip forward, you will see them going into bunsen, wowburger, etc and interviewing the owners and then usually show how they cook them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAVJbtH16BxcMNu7lm8lbEg/videos

this link below might be a better filter
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beary+hikers+burger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Icsics wrote: »

In my local store they are in the fridge with the sandwiches and soups. I had the sweet potato ones, very nice, I liked the little hit of chili.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nelson Van Alden

Their Buffalo Mozzarella with some pasta and a drizzle of olive oil is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What????

Never seen these. But they have my undivided attention. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting that when LIDL started doing sandwiches, so did ALDI, where I live anyways. ALDI are better though

Same with the salad pots. I am totally addicted to the tangy cheese and pasta salad from ALDI... when I was in LIDl saw a great bowl labelled cheese pasta salad at just over E2, but it was disappointing. Even had a small fork which was deep in mayo... small layer of cheese and pasta then all salad.. needed more dressing too.. Back to ALDI for me. ;)

Have Aldi stopped selling the cheese pasta salad. None of my local branches seem to have it anymore.

Disaster if so!!!

Dam I was looking for these earlier but no cigar :mad:

I'll check another few Aldis tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody tried the piri-piri chicken thighs?

Thargor wrote: »
    Anybody tried the piri-piri chicken thighs?

Yep.
    Aldi are selling a tray of boned and marinated chicken thighs that are a absolutely delicious.

I had the piri piri pack for dinner there along with some Mexican style rice and corn on the cob.

Fairly handy to cook. Just stick them in the oven for 15m then pour over sachet of piri piri sauce that comes with them. Then stick back in the oven for another 5 m.

Really juicy and really flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Fizzy Belts sweets are lovely. If u like sour sweets I’d recommend these.

Saw the dome peanut chocolates in Aldi last night.

• Advertisement

Can anyone help me out with these? I've looked in 3 different Aldis now in the following sections -

the fridge where fresh lamb products are.
    The fridge where the fresh pizzas and the likes of cottage pies lasagnes etc are kept.
    The fridge where potatoe gratin/hummus etc is kept.

I'm not seeing these though.

Can anyone help me out with these? I've looked in 3 different Aldis now in the following sections -

The fridge where the fresh pizzas and the likes of cottage pies lasagnes etc are kept.

To the best of my knowledge they are in a black enough box and they can be mixed in with something else in a similar box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Why don't you ask a member of staff!

4th Aldi today and couldn't find it.
    prodsc wrote: »
    Why don't you ask a member of staff!

Already did. In each of them. Blank stares all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

4th Aldi today and couldn't find it.

Already did. In each of them. Blank stares all round.

Not all ALDI’s have all products

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not all ALDI’s have all products

Yep - I recall they use to do a great beer (Peroni lookalike) called Rossini. But only some Aldis stocked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Picked up Aldis mini eggs today. Didn't even recognise they weren't the original cadbury ones or whatever brand until I got home! Taste the same too and only 75c

Tried them today (for science), they're not great, too sweet IMO, the Cadburys ones smell and taste nicer. Half the price though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I got a pack of Original Stackers, since so many people recommended them. Honestly, I didn't like them, they had a sugar-y and sweet aftertaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did a shop last week.

Here's some of my regulars.

Their Del Riveo OJ is excellent.

White cheese, grand. Rib eyes (2 for 6) quite decent if a bit thin.

The BBQ pastrami is very nice, as is their spicy chorizo rings.

Eggs and sweet potatoes are quite decent value as well.

Haven't seen chicken thighs for a while which I quite liked.

The bolognais and korma sauces I would recommend. Haven't tried many others.

One highlight is their red pepper relish which is absolutely delicious.

Their tuna is slightly cheaper than an on special John West but not as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Aldi have lactose free milk, €1.19 a litre avonmore and every shop I have seen it in elsewhere €1.99. We go through about 6 litres a week so a good saving

Advertisement