Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone buy the pop up presecco glass? Think it’s 3 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fin12 wrote: »

Didn't see that but I've brought prosecco twice in Aldi. The one with the silver label (€8 I think?) is lovely but the one with yellow label (more expensive one) is horrible. Just complete sugar water, so be cautious when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yeh, is it meant as a joke thing? No way is that gonna hold any liquid, if it collapses your prosecco be all over your lap.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yeh, is it meant as a joke thing? No way is that gonna hold any liquid, if it collapses your prosecco be all over your lap.

Ya it was on a stand where they were selling all other valentines things.

I don’t know is it meant as a joke, just said for having your prosecco anywhere.

Ya it was on a stand where they were selling all other valentines things.

I don’t know is it meant as a joke, just said for having your prosecco anywhere.

Did you get one? I wouldn’t trust it to work.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Did you get one? I wouldn’t trust it to work.

No I didn’t, was just wondering if anyone else did? I think it might be plastic though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Collapsible plastic glasses were a fashionable picnic item in the eighties and they worked perfectly.

Collapsible plastic glasses were a fashionable picnic item in the eighties and they worked perfectly.

This won’t, or mightn’t, a slight downward movement of the hand on it and you’ll have the drink all over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Collapsible Cups are not exclusively cheap and plastic :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I tried the sweet potato burgers, they were grand. The beetroot ones to me had the taste and consistency of wet cotton wool, really horrible. I'll try making my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

madmaggie wrote: »
    I tried the sweet potato burgers, they were grand. The beetroot ones to me had the taste and consistency of wet cotton wool, really horrible. I'll try making my own.

I was of the opposite view... found the beetroot ones quite nice...but the sweet potato ones wee a bit dry and chalky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Got in this evening to find the son eating one of the biryani pots (chicken one) from Aldi which he didn't finish.

Had a little pick of his, they're dam good. Very authentic Indian takeaway taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Monster Claws, which are supposed to be Monster Munch, are LOVELY!
    10 pack (Flamin Hot, Pickled Onion and Roast Beef flavours) for €1.39 and they are so nice. Even nicer than their branded counterparts!

The satsumas at the moment are particularly lovely.

I picked up a roast pork loin for €5.99 last week and it was gorgeous. Only took 90 mins in the oven and it was moist and full of flavour.

Picked up some smoked coley today; two pieces for €2.29. Will cook them tomorrow and report back with my findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Bought an Ambiano vacuum food sealer today and played with it for a bit this evening. Hoping to use it for sous-vide but it'll also save a load of space in the freezer and keep cheeses in better nick in the fridge. Dried goods like flour, sugar, etc too - no more storing in big plastic tubs. I can just use a long bag to start with and reseal it slightly lower each time. Absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I really like the smoked coley! Would buy it regularly, for a while there my local had smoked haddock instead which I normally love but both times I bought it from Aldi it was full of bones. I love the smoked coley along with their cauliflower cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They have some really nice sweet clementines in at the moment. Miles better than any I had over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has there been a return of the chilli con carne sauce with the spices on top yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has there been a return of the chilli con carne sauce with the spices on top yet?

Unfortunately not. It was supposed to come back with the "winter stock" but never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Alun wrote: »
    They have some really nice sweet clementines in at the moment. Miles better than any I had over the Christmas period.

They also have 4 packs of blood oranges atm.

Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I got 2 lightly coated cod fillets from the fridge department (not freezer). I was surprised, they were pretty good and didn't shrink at all in the pan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

My local aldi got a new 6 seed cob loaf in at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Good for sambos and toast. Got another one this evening ��

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Last I checked these are actually a variety called Nadorcotts.
    Always check the label before you buy them.
    Nadorcotts are much sweeter and juicer and have been produced that way.
    They are only just over 30years old!
    Interesting read about them here:
    https://kateshrewsday.com/2013/04/17/11269/

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Last I checked these are actually a variety called Nandercots.
    Always check the label before you but then
    Nandercots are much sweeter and juicer and have been produced that way.
    They are only just over 30years old!
    Interesting read about them here:
    http://goodfruitguide.co.uk/product/nadorcott-afourer/
    Just checked the label, Nadorcott it is! Last time I was in they had some more expensive Specially Selected ones nearby, but I bought the same ones as before. Didn't check the label of the more expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just checked the label, Nadorcott it is! Last time I was in they had some more expensive Specially Selected ones nearby, but I bought the same ones as before. Didn't check the label of the more expensive ones.

The Specially selected ones are Orri, very nice too. Less sweet, but with more flavour.

Regular ones are very good until they change it back to some less tasty variety (clemenules etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Does Aldi still have Caramelised Onion relish??? Doesnt seem to be in my local one

wonski wrote: »
    The Specially selected ones are Orri, very nice too. Less sweet, but with more flavour.

Regular ones are very good until they change it back to some less tasty variety (clemenules etc).

Was in on Friday and they didn't have the Nadorcotts in nets only individual larger ones and some boxes of smaller ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

MiliMe wrote: »
    Does Aldi still have Caramelised Onion relish??? Doesnt seem to be in my local one

Definitely saw it in Aldi Limerick during the week as I had to root for the tomato one in the box

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I meant to come back with my verdict on the smoked coley!
    It was delicious.
    In contrast, bought the smoked cod today and we weren't hugely keen on it.
    Weird flavour and not a nice texture.
    The coley was much nicer and thirty-cent cheaper too!

The Smokey Barbecue sauce is really nice and I say that as someone who's not a huge fan of barbecue sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Was in on Friday and they didn't have the Nadorcotts in nets only individual larger ones and some boxes of smaller ones.

Sold out I guess.

You can always ask one of the workers if they have one if there is one walking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The ballymore chia seed bread rolls are lovely

Advertisement