Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,724 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rogueish wrote: »
    I am looking got some help. I've been drinking Aldis Ghost Vines Zinfandel for the last few months. It what's really ticked all my boxes for a red wine.

Those of you with a more varied experience of red wine can you recommend anything similar?

They have a sicilian reserva special buy thursday 18th for 9.99 - Fire Tree is the name. Looks like quality.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Highly recommending the Specially Selected creamy pistachio Italian ice cream. It's €2.99 for a tub but to me it's a taste of holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not a recommendation, but has anyone seen any rice, basmati or long grain in their Aldi of late? Mine ran out of basmati about 2 weeks ago and yesterday there was no long grain either, just brown rice. Asked a couple of the assistants but they were less than useless and I couldn't find a manager to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Layinghen wrote: »
    Highly recommending the Specially Selected creamy pistachio Italian ice cream. It's €2.99 for a tub but to me it's a taste of holidays.

Depending on the size of the tub, that's actually quite reasonable when you consider than Ben & Jerry's and Haagen Dazs is close to the €7 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Tub isn't the biggest (unfortunately!!!!!) it's 480ml. But it's probably best because no matter what size the tub I would scoff the lot:D. I'm a martyr for pistachio ice cream.......

• Advertisement

B&J and HD are only 500ml anyway, so definitely not worth paying two and a half times the price for an extra 20ml!

Of course, I now have to go and check out this pistachio wonder that you speak of ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Alun wrote: »
    Not a recommendation, but has anyone seen any rice, basmati or long grain in their Aldi of late? Mine ran out of basmati about 2 weeks ago and yesterday there was no long grain either, just brown rice. Asked a couple of the assistants but they were less than useless and I couldn't find a manager to ask.

I was in the branch in Santry this morning and they definitely had Basmati.

I bought a net of blood oranges and they're delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Basmati’s been on my shopping list for a few weeks now. Either empty shelf or filled with another rice....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Just back from the Newlands Cross branch in Dublin and it's the same there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Their absolutely devine! I picked up 3 nets of them yesterday.

• Advertisement

Anyone seen the torn ham pouches recently? Didnt see them or a place for them on shelves today in East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Anyone seen the torn ham pouches recently? Didnt see them or a place for them on shelves today in East Wall.

I saw them on Saturday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Icsics

The pots of porridge oats gone too, they still have the apple & cinnamon ones

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

odyssey06 wrote: »
    What on earth are these??? :confused:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What on earth are these??? :confused:

They are the ALDI version of this Bradys Ham product... comes in a blue 'upright' plastic pouch.
    BradyFamilyHam2-657x329.jpg

I think there is also torn chicken or turkey in the range.

Nice in wraps, or omlette.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    What on earth are these???

Ham that's been torn, placed in pouches, obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm a huge fan of blood oranges - is this nation wide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Indeed it is

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Basmati’s been on my shopping list for a few weeks now. Either empty shelf or filled with another rice....

Having the same problem!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As Jack Kanoff said, it is so get yourself down there quickly. These are the nicest, juiciest ones I've ever had :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Indeed it is
    As Jack Kanoff said, it is so get yourself down there quickly. These are the nicest, juiciest ones I've ever had :)

Grabbed me 2 x nets.

And yes - they are good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They are nice but only 4 to a net, bit stingy of them.

Has anyone tried the Black Bean sauce in the jar? I only noticed it today, not sure if its new or not. Probably hard to recreate a Chinese without a scoop of MSG though.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

After the rave reviews here I had to get the fabled pistachio ice cream and it's passable at best. It doesn't hold a candle to the premium ice cream brands, it's mainly skimmed milk, oils and stabilizers, so it's no surprise it's cheaper. HD use real cream and eggs and you can taste the difference. Will stick to HD and B&J, they're always on offer somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

May I recommend the ready made sandwiches? especially the triple layered club version? Overflowing with generous fillings on delicious granary bread....all for E1.79...

Thargor wrote: »

Has anyone tried the Black Bean sauce in the jar? I only noticed it today, not sure if its new or not. Probably hard to recreate a Chinese without a scoop of MSG though.

Yes, it's awful! That and the Rice Krispies are probably the only two things that I'd never buy again in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Any news on the mature Irish cheddar (black wrapper) ..... is it still rubbery or has it come good again??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

sudzs wrote: »
    Any news on the mature Irish cheddar (black wrapper) ..... is it still rubbery or has it come good again??

It's perfect imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

It's perfect imo

Oh good! The last time I bought it, it was going through a less than perfect phase! Haven't been near an Aldi since then, (last November) but will be today so thinking of stocking up if it's back to being nice, and crumbly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

The 5 pack of moser Roth dark chocolate bars has become a 4 pack at the same price. And I've seen them probably selling off the end of the old 5 packs for €1.39 in some stores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

sudzs wrote: »

Had two blocks there last week. One was perfect, the other was not great in texture but tasted fine. Generally though they've all been fine of late.

Advertisement