Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Graces7 wrote: »
    May I recommend the ready made sandwiches? especially the triple layered club version? Overflowing with generous fillings on delicious granary bread....all for E1.79...

I had the BBQ chicken and slaw triple decker at start of the week. It was surprisingly tasty and well filled.
    And amazing for a <€2 sambo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I had the BBQ chicken and slaw triple decker at start of the week. It was surprisingly tasty and well filled.
    And amazing for a <€2 sambo

Not tried that one but yes. When I go to shop I am away for the day so that is my lunch and I never manage more than half.

Much better than the Lidl or Tesco kind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Had two blocks there last week. One was perfect, the other was not great in texture but tasted fine. Generally though they've all been fine of late.

Thanks! Picked up 4 packs so hopefully most are good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Aldi has a Steam mop since yesterday, I got it, it's 40 quid. Oh my god how could I live without any, if you don't have one, get it, it's an absolute game changer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Whoever mentioned the Specially Selected West Country Cheddar and Chilli Jam Crisps...yep they are gorgeous!

The Worcester Sauce which is fairly new is not, in my opinion, on a par with Lea & Perrins, so I'll be sticking with the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

fussyonion wrote: »
    Whoever mentioned the Specially Selected West Country Cheddar and Chilli Jam Crisps...yep they are gorgeous!

The Worcester Sauce which is fairly new is not, in my opinion, on a par with Lea & Perrins, so I'll be sticking with the latter.

That was me Fussyonion. :) the salt n vinegar ones are quite nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fussyonion wrote: »

Are they the crinkle cut ones? I thought they were awful! Really artificial taste, far too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are they the crinkle cut ones? I thought they were awful! Really artificial taste, far too strong.

I hated them as well! Glad it wasn’t just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Still managed to finish the pack, mind you..... :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

CR 7 wrote: »
    The 5 pack of moser Roth dark chocolate bars has become a 4 pack at the same price. And I've seen them probably selling off the end of the old 5 packs for €1.39 in some stores.

Sneaky! I bought two the other day but they were the old 5 packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Anyone ever get those trays of Hong Kong noodles, Japanese Rice etc. Pure muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Me too :( worst crisps I've ever tasted. Straight in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

LirW wrote: »
    Aldi has a Steam mop since yesterday, I got it, it's 40 quid. Oh my god how could I live without any, if you don't have one, get it, it's an absolute game changer!

Love our steam mop, when you have animals in the house, they’re essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Anyone tried the Goan and Kerala Curry kits? They come with separate spices, paste and base sauce. Have tried both using chicken rather than the recommended fish or prawns and adding extra veg and 1/2 tin of coconut milk plus an extra chilli. More than pleased with the results. (prefer the Goan but both excellent)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was in ALDI last week for the first time for months as I am rarely near enough and was bewildered by the display changes. Would not have recognised the shop.

Ir was the shelves of prepared foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Second the Skinny soups. Delicious and cheap, and looking at the ingredients it's all natural goodness. Just veg, herbs, spices and coconut milk. Nice to see the proper herbs in the thai one like kaffir lime leaves. The Thai is my favourite.

Out of the chocolate the Mosser Roth Orange and Almond is my favourite. Delicious and a good balance of milk and coco bean. Not too bitter, not too sweet. Texture and flavour is great. Real chocolate that is semi good for you.

Honey Roasted peanuts.

Out of the cheese I like the ordinary medium cheddar and the smoked cheddar from the other range. The smoked cheddar is amazing on hot filling sandwiches or burgers.

Out of the breads I like the low GI stuff for toasted sandwiches and the cheap 89c sliced soda bread to go with the soup and/or cheese. There's also a lovely round bread 4 pack with chiabata style bread that makes a lovely toasted hot sandwich or burger bun.

They used to have an amazing roasted peanut butter but they don't do it anymore. The stuff they have now is bland. Probably a good thing as I was getting through tubs of the other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I have to recommend people AVOID the camomile teabags now - they used to be plain camomile and were lovely, now they are 'camomile and honey' - 92% camomile 6% honey flavoring (whatever that is). I tried a cup yesterday and had to throw it out - it tastes of fake sweetener and it now smells vaguely like playdoh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Aldi are doing a copy of the nip fab glycemic pads at 3.99, they're really good. Been using them about 2 weeks and my skin is the best it's been in years

I know it's not food but who can resist the middle aisles of extras !!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

They still don't stock mushroom cupa soup.

But their rich tea biscuits are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The maris piper oven chips are the best oven chips around. Love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I always buy their porridge is very good.

Their biscuits are pretty good.

Has anyone tried their English mustard?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

Olives with the feta cheese - divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    I always buy their porridge is very good.

Their biscuits are pretty good.

Has anyone tried their English mustard?

English mustard very good , we don't pick up colmans anymore here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ArtyC wrote: »
    English mustard very good , we don't pick up colmans anymore here
    I love the specially selected stuff in the little jar with the black lid, way nicer than Colmans imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Four Seasons Thai-style Stir Fry Veg (€1.99 in the freezer) is gorgeous.
    I do eat a lot of veg but most of the time I find it tedious eating the same stuff over and over. The stir-fry veg is really tasty; there are sugar snap peas, bamboo shoots, peppers, water chestnuts, carrots, garlic shoots, peas and mushrooms...so flavoursome!

The Ballymore Soft Batch (€0.95) is very popular in our house.
    My other half loves batch bread and normally only buys Brennans but he's switched to Aldi's now, saying it's a lot lighter, not as doughy, and much tastier, not to mention softer in texture.
    I wouldn't be hugely keen on batch but I agree, it is a nice loaf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We bought Aldi's chicken bake in the fresh food section a few days ago and ate it tonight. It was chicken and button mushrooms in a white wine, chive and cheese sauce, topped with sliced boiled potatoes and grated cheese.

You bake it for 45 minutes at 180. We had it with broccoli.

Normally I strongly dislike processed ready meals. I try them every now and again and am invariably a bit nauseated by them.

But this was really quite delicious! It was I think 5.99 and served two. The flavours were fresh and simple. I will definitely buy it again. Thumbs up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

ArtyC wrote: »
    Aldi are doing a copy of the nip fab glycemic pads at 3.99, they're really good. Been using them about 2 weeks and my skin is the best it's been in years

I know it's not food but who can resist the middle aisles of extras !!

Really showing my age here but what is a nip fab glycemic pad?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

anewme wrote: »
    Really showing my age here but what is a nip fab glycemic pad?

I presume she meant glycolic pads, they’re a skin treatment. I’ve been looking for them since I read that post a few weeks ago but haven’t been able to find them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lot of the Barbecue range of meats are back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A lot of the Barbecue range of meats are back.

Temperature’s going to hit 15c this weekend. Time to uncover the barbie?

Advertisement