Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Guys has anyone tried the Brehon blonde Ale? Can anyone recommend a craft beer that would be similar to smithicks Blonde Ale?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A lot of the Barbecue range of meats are back.

No bratwurst yet. :(

fin12 wrote: »
    Guys has anyone tried the Brehon blonde Ale? Can anyone recommend a craft beer that would be similar to smithicks Blonde Ale?

Haven't tried the one you mention above, but o'sheas is a decent pale ale, it's made by Carlow brewing (who also make O'Haras) and tastes the same as the pale from that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Lidl will have Bratwurst and other German/Austrian food next week as their weekly specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Sorry off topic, but can someone please explain what the difference is. Between larger and ale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sorry off topic, but can someone please explain what the difference is. Between larger and ale?

I think they look different and of course smell/taste different because they use different types of yest and are brewed differently. Ale's are more sort of more fruity/sweet compared to larger.(I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

For me, Lager is more of a summer drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I bought some yesterday, they are back finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The aldi speciality pork Pate with apple and cider- is amazing ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Aldi has an Oil drum charcoal bbq for 80 quid. Any opinions on it? Thinking of buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

They have a new delicious sliced cider ham in the fridge, nice thick slices and a great flavour. We have bought 3 packets already, €1.99 a pack. They have a gin one too but we haven't tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id been eating bad pesto out of jars for so long that Id given up on it but that fresh stuff in the tub from the fridge is perfection, so good on toasted sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Really annoyed that the chicken en croute has been discontinued because apparently it's 'winter chicken'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I prefer aldi brioche burger buns over tesco & lidl versions, all in 4 packs (which I prefer than the 6 packs normal burger buns come in, strange that they change size)

I find the aldi more squishy, so others might prefer the more bready version (tesco being breadyist brioche IMO). Some are against brioche buns altogether for burgers. I never recall "brioche" growing up and was first eating giant sweet brioche swirl things with icing in lidl (which I love) and thought it bizarre to using "cakes" as burger buns. But I am now a convert, sure ketchup is loaded with sugar if you use it, but any sweetness can sound odd in what you think of as savoury food.

I wondered if they sell in 4 packs to make them seem not that much more expensive than regular burger buns. They might be over twice the price, but as they are cheap enough I think it is worth it. People pay a fortune in these gourmet burger joints and it is not that hard to replicate. 30c vs 12c is not that much, but percentage wise it is off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

They have "specially selected" tarts in the freezer, lemon, chocolate and crème brulee, never saw them before but their reduced to 1.49.
    The lemon are delicious, really really nice.
    We served them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream after the Sunday roast and they were very well received!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I tried the (new?) fresh spinach and ricotta pizza yesterday and it's a solid 8/10 - good base, if you like a thin crust, and generously topped.
    It compares very well with the very similar pizza they have in Tesco and the aldi version only costs 1.99.

B0jangles wrote: »
    I tried the (new?) fresh spinach and ricotta pizza yesterday and it's a solid 8/10 - good base, if you like a thin crust, and generously topped.
    It compares very well with the very similar pizza they have in Tesco and the aldi version only costs 1.99.

Bought one yesterday for the vegetarian other half.

She'll be glad to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The chai on offer at the moment is lovely. I've had the coconut one. Going to buy the cardamom one next time I'm in. Granted I've nothing to compare it to, having never tasted it before but either way it tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

The new Nutri salads are yum! (Am always healthy on a Monday).....For later in the week- the Maris Piper chunky chips are delish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The new Nutri salads are yum! (Am always healthy on a Monday).....For later in the week- the Maris Piper chunky chips are delish!

They could put a little more dressing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Probably said already but the african peanut soup thing in Aldi is nommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lots of new products today, new salads range, rectangular flatbread pizzas, italian ready meals that didnt look too bad actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Anyone seen the Specially Selected Italian frozen pizza lately? Gone in my store and some other products now occupy its usual space. I have not bought a different brand in years. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone seen the Specially Selected Italian frozen pizza lately? Gone in my store and some other products now occupy its usual space. I have not bought a different brand in years. :(

The ones in the black boxes? They've been missing for months at this point :( If it's any help, Lidl do a very similar set of pizzas - my brother who is a big fan of the Aldi Romagna says the Lidl version is actually a bit nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

B0jangles wrote: »
    The ones in the black boxes? They've been missing for months at this point :( If it's any help, Lidl do a very similar set of pizzas - my brother who is a big fan of the Aldi Romagna says the Lidl version is actually a bit nicer.
    Yes, those. I have tried the Lidl one, don't remember which topping, but IMO it was just a like any other frozen pizza, not in the league with that one from Aldi. Anyway, not a long time ago Aldi were selling a definitely different ( and way worse) pizza in the usual box for a while. It's as if they tested a different supplier, while aiming to continue the product line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Really like the specially selected dark chocolate and nut bars in the gluten free section - they are exactly like Kind bars - must be made by the same people, but much cheaper! :pac: I wish they did the maple and pecan one too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

1.49 specially selected fresh Tagliatelle is great, in with the pies and ready made dinners etc, they have spaghetti too but didn't try that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

there's gluten free soda bread and it's lovely. a great treat for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The oh so delish organic bars up at the counters are Amazing... the hazelnut cookie dough square heated ðŸ˜

Advertisement