Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

So I posted before about not being sure about Aldi's falafels.

I got falafels in tesco this week, the brand is 'Cauldron'. They are way nicer than the aldi ones! Unusual as I normally find Aldi's own versions are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ooh really? Like Charleville/LowLow?
    I absolutely love cheese spread (not Philadelphia)...gonna look out for those.
    Thanks!
    Just like that, very nice aswell, the brown tub/mature one, must try the brown bread everyones going on about with it now.

Unfortunately the new beef in black bean sauce with egg fried rice ready meal is not good, nowhere near the chicken curries and sweet and sour one, probably because you can get away with using cheap chicken but not so much with beef, it was very poor meat, soft like liver and a bit of a dog food vibe off it tbh, nowhere near as good as that tough salty stuff you get in the Chinese which is probably just as low quality but way nicer.

LoveToSpa wrote: »
    get the focaccia bread - delish!

Is this new?? Haven't seen it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The brown bread winner from the Ploughing Championship is in Aldi now. It is one of the nicest breads I have eaten and is sliced. Only €1.49 I think.

Agree, Margarets Brown, lovely
    Thargor wrote: »
    Oh yeah they finally added spreadable cheeses aswell, a strong mature one and a regular type, havent tried them yet.

Strong Mature is lovely anyway, 99cent only
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Ooh really? Like Charleville/LowLow?
    I absolutely love cheese spread (not Philadelphia)...gonna look out for those.
    Thanks!

In stores now, have to try the "regular" one yet, both are 99 cent
    Just like that, very nice aswell, the brown tub/mature one, must try the brown bread everyones going on about with it now.

Had them both for lunch today - winner taste, accompany it with a tin of 44c tomato soup from Aldi and winner lunch altogether !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Aldi used to have a fantastic balsamic dressing similar to the below pic.
    Couldn't find it in store today, nor did it look like it was anywhere.
    Only have the 'Brannigans' ones, and no balsamic style there - just caeser, thousand island and mustard (bleagh!).
    anyone seen it?

293486.jpg?v=5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Has anyone tried the Coco Loco Coconut Oil? I've always bought this from a healthfood shop, usually at least €10 a pop (albiet for a very big jar!)

The Aldi one says all the right things, Raw, Coldpressed, Organic, Virgin, so is there any reason it wouldnt be nutritionally as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Has anyone tried the Coco Loco Coconut Oil? I've always bought this from a healthfood shop, usually at least €10 a pop (albiet for a very big jar!)

The Aldi one says all the right things, Raw, Coldpressed, Organic, Virgin, so is there any reason it wouldnt be nutritionally as good?

!!! Coconut oil, healthy? It's the most unhealthiest oil out there.

A 100g serving of coconut oil provides 453% saturated fat. Vegetable oil contains 70%.

trE7yUd.png

IQktGA9.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: As always, this is thankfully not the Diet & Nutrition forum. If you'd like to discuss those topics, there are plenty of threads over there. This forum is all about the enjoyment of food.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

SarahMollie, to answer your question, they are likely to be pretty much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tried the Strong & Spreadable cheese spread today. Its gorgeous. Actually tastes very cheesy..a lot of supermarket varieties are bland but this was really nice.
    99c too...highly recommend.

Thanks to Thargor for telling us about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Probably mentioned already by we love the spatchcock chickens. Not huge but enough for us 3. Lemon probably edges the garlic and pepper for me but both delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I usually make my own pizza's from scratch but I have found the Specially selected one that is I think called Caprina Verde, is a very nice frozen pizza.
    Not salty and plenty of flavour even as a vegetarian pizza(from a confirmed meat lover)
    I think they are 2.49 or so.

Oh so more-ish - Clancys Jumbo peanuts and cashews 150g for €1.09, be aware it's hard to put these down once opened !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh so more-ish - Clancys Jumbo peanuts and cashews 150g for €1.09, be aware it's hard to put these down once opened !!

As good as any branded ones and much cheaper.

I tried the Everyday Essentials peanuts and never again. Left a funny aftertaste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Lot Series of wines at Aldi are generally very good. The Priorat is a good red, and I've been hearing good things about the Chenin Blanc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Aldi is not the place to go to if you are trying to trim down.

There is SO MUCH temptation. LOL.

I love that place.

Please do not shout at me ( as if you would!) but their frozen fish is great. That's all for now. Thank you. Each to their own.

dudara wrote: »
    The Lot Series of wines at Aldi are generally very good. The Priorat is a good red, and I've been hearing good things about the Chenin Blanc

I am slightly ashamed to say that I bring two (OMG) of those wine bags with the compartments to my local Aldi.... just in case LOL.

Haven't been for ten days or so, was away, but thanks for the heads up, will be there tomorrow, and will look for the LOT series and Priorat. Just because it's good for me of course! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

dudara wrote: »

Yes I usually don't buy wine in Aldi but I stock on those quite often. I liked their Cabernet Savignion but I don't know if there is any left in the local Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The brown bread winner from the Ploughing Championship is in Aldi now. It is one of the nicest breads I have eaten and is sliced. Only €1.49 I think.

The salmon sensation tub is also delicious.

That salmon sensation is dangerous! I've been known to eat the whole tub myself! You can get it in Lidl too - both much cheaper than the branded one you get in Dunnes

What is the Salmon Sensation please? Is it a spread or something?

Going to Aldi tomorrow with wine bags and of course other bags too!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What is the Salmon Sensation please? Is it a spread or something?

Going to Aldi tomorrow with wine bags and of course other bags too!

Thanks.

It's sort of like a mousse/pate - it's salmon mixed wth cream cheese and dill and maybe mayo (not sure) you can spread it on crackers or brown bread, or its lovely on corn cakes too. Quite addictive once you open it though...!

leahyl wrote: »
    It's sort of like a mousse/pate - it's salmon mixed wth cream cheese and dill and maybe mayo (not sure) you can spread it on crackers or brown bread, or its lovely on corn cakes too. Quite addictive once you open it though...!

Sounds great, thanks. And on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

On my list too thanks, too many sauces and spreads on the go atm :D

Aldi have a new specially selected sourdough loaf sliced in a bag aswell, a nice change from sliced pan. Makes high quality toast in the morning like the kind you get with scrambled eggs in good cafes and its only 95 cent.

Aldi have a new specially selected sourdough loaf sliced in a bag aswell, a nice change from sliced pan. Makes high quality toast in the morning like the kind you get with scrambled eggs in good cafes and its only 95 cent.

I got this the other day and it's really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Thargor wrote:

Would recommend this too, well worth it.

You hardly have a picture or a link to this sourdough? Was in local Aldi and they said they don't have it and that I wasn't the first person to ask for it, is it long out?? Don't recall ever seeing it in the bread section.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You hardly have a picture or a link to this sourdough? Was in local Aldi and they said they don't have it and that I wasn't the first person to ask for it, is it long out?? Don't recall ever seeing it in the bread section.
    I can't find it anywhere on aldi.ie, but it's in a clear plastic bag with a black "Specially Selected" label on it. It's a large oval shaped loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Went in especially for this on Sunday and couldn't find it either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Has anyone found this in Aldi Palmerstown or Longmile Road???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Or in the Aldi's in Waterford!?

Advertisement