Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

vicwatson wrote: »
    €3.49 per pack and yes they are magnificent

I made a "big mac" out of one of them with 1.5 buns, and gouda cheese and it was terrific.

Pricey enough at €3.49 but whatever seasoning they use in it is the biz, cheers for the heads up

Mine literally oozed juice when I bit into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

I made a "big mac" out of one of them with 1.5 buns, and gouda cheese and it was terrific.

Pricey enough at €3.49 but whatever seasoning they use in it is the biz, cheers for the heads up

This will help you make a BadBoy Burger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Anybody else find these are gone awful recently, used to be a lovely strong cup of tea, now really weak. wonder did they change suppliers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,716 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Jasper79 wrote: »
    Anybody else find these are gone awful recently, used to be a lovely strong cup of tea, now really weak. wonder did they change suppliers ?

I hope not... just bought two boxes but still working through old stock.

The website still seems to imply that Robert Roberts is the supplier...
    https://www.aldi.ie/love-ireland/tea

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They've a new black and white pudding made by McCarthy's butchers in Kanturk. They are about the size of burger. Might be interesting to try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Could have sworn I saw rice noodles (the flat kind) in either Aldi or Lidl a good few weeks ago. But was in both stores earlier on and no stock there, anyone know if either normally stock them or were my eyes deceiving me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They were in Aldi in blue packets but were in the food specials aisle not with the regular noodles, it was Asian week or something, they had lots of sauces aswell, gone now. I liked them the couple of times I used them, thought Id made a terrible mistake when I took that slimy blob out of the packet but they fluffed out into lovely noodles the minute they hit the wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

These sound unreal - I think that price is ok actually, not too far off what a 4 pack of 4oz burgers would be I imagine?

Do you know the fat content/%?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

These sound unreal - I think that price is ok actually, not too far off what a 4 pack of 4oz burgers would be I imagine?
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. At 3.49 they work out 7.69 per kilo
    I made a "big mac" out of one of them with 1.5 buns,
    if you split 1 8oz in two it is like the meat of 2.5 big macs, who use a 1:10 ratio on their burgers (1.6oz per burger) - at rirst read I thought you had a big mac with 2x8ozers

An 8oz is way too much for me. I now make mine about 5oz. I find the quarter pounder (4oz) too small and the 6oz a tad too big. (I am in no way on some sort of health warning buzz here! I would eat several 5oz if I had them in a day)

When McDs recently brought out the bigger big mac there was loads of backlash on social media saying that is the size they used to be. But they were not. I can remember when frozen quarter pounders came into supermarkets and were considered huge.

Tesco finest fresh burgers are just under 6oz (incorrectly listed as 454g) and 3 euro
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=300411458

The problem in supermarkets is that if you get minced meat of a fat % as recommended by (non anti fat) chefs and burger places, then it is much cheaper cuts. It would be good to see good quality 20%+ mince being on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldi have their own fresh chicken wings in packets now, look like an okay size for €2.30, Lidl have been shrinking their version lately and I stopped buying them. 2 kinds, hot and spicy glaze or chilli/garlic/pepper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Mine literally oozed juice when I bit into it. :)

Got a pack of these last night, what a lovely big burger, great flavour and put 3 smoked streaky rashers on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fresh.

I'm not joking, they're absolutely MASSIVE, don't get me wrong, they will fit in a burger bun easily, but its the height that's massive, it's like biting into a massive meatball.

Any burger that goes meatball/golfball sized when cooked - squash the middle down when its raw and it'll cook back to flat.

Unless you like burgers medium-rare to rare inside it is basically impossible to cook the golfballs. I go for medium myself and that's what I have to do to the Aldi ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Picked up some smoked pancetta last week and cooked it today. My word, it was amazing. It's the Specially Selected range and is in thin little strips that are kind of doubled over in the pack. It's smells quite smokey when you open the pack but the flavour is quite mild.

I was using it as part of a pasta dish and I fried it off first and left it to one side while I did the rest but I ended up nibbling half the plate before the pasta was even cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The ultimate burger is a must have for any carnivores out there.

I fried mine this evening (I normally grill burgers) served it on a wholemeal bun with sweetcorn relish and tomato and sirracha sauce on the lower bun, then burger, and on top of that, lettuce French mustard, ketchup and pickle.

Eaten with chunky chips and a little bit of potato salad.

20180504_174357.jpg

Not often we get it, but sat out in the sun and enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Masala wrote: »
    This will help you make a BadBoy Burger!!

Thanks but my burger was quite fine ;)

Lemon shortbread biscuits in the Specially selected range. Delicious for anyone who likes a biscuit but doesn't have the sweetest of tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lemon shortbread biscuits in the Specially selected range. Delicious for anyone who likes a biscuit but doesn't have the sweetest of tooth.
    Ooooohhhh........

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ooooohhhh........

They have plain shortbread, chocolate chip and some sort of oatie fruit ones too. Have only tried the lemon ones but if the others are half as good they'll be delicious.

They have plain shortbread, chocolate chip and some sort of oatie fruit ones too. Have only tried the lemon ones but if the others are half as good they'll be delicious.
    I luurrvve shortbread!

Not entirely sure about adulterating it with lemon (it's like when they mess with Créme Brulée, grrrr) but it could work.....

Chocolate, meh.

Will be visiting an Aldi in my travels tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Picked up some smoked pancetta last week and cooked it today. My word, it was amazing. It's the Specially Selected range and is in thin little strips that are kind of doubled over in the pack. It's smells quite smokey when you open the pack but the flavour is quite mild.

I was using it as part of a pasta dish and I fried it off first and left it to one side while I did the rest but I ended up nibbling half the plate before the pasta was even cooked.

I have it in the fridge because it's brilliant in pasta or fish recepies. I ran out of ham the other day so I fried some and put it in son's sandwich. Later that day he thanked me for delicious sandwich. First time ever. :D

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have it in the fridge because it's brilliant in pasta or fish recepies. I ran out of ham the other day so I fried some and put it in son's sandwich. Later that day he thanked me for delicious sandwich. First time ever. :D

There was only one packet of it left in my local Aldi yesterday. It's dated well ahead so I must keep an eye now and stock up on it. I imagine it would be good wrapped around something, chicken, or asparagus or figs maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

There was only one packet of it left in my local Aldi yesterday. It's dated well ahead so I must keep an eye now and stock up on it. I imagine it would be good wrapped around something, chicken, or asparagus or figs maybe.

⬆️ This. I wrap it around chicken breast. Keeps it moist and tastes great!

It works well with white fish. Fry a bit of pancetta, add tomatoes and a bit of vinegar. Add to some panfried cod with sliced scallions. Or you can wrap it around monk fish. I also use it as topping on pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Tried those 8oz burgers earlier this week. They are indeed enormous but they shrank to a small diameter but massively thick even after I'd flattened them out and thumbed the centre before cooking. I'm not crazy about the texture of the beef, it seemed more like a typical frozen burger texture imo (over minced?)and they are quite highly seasoned. The taste stayed with me for quite some time.....
    I didn't like them and I'm a massive burger fan. I prefer the regular fresh burgers tbh.

But the pancetta is lovely, as were the chimichurri "shepherds steaks" (barnsley chops)they had last week.

Those big slices of black pudding were lovely too, but nobody was crazy about the white, there was even some leftover after breakfast for the birds and that rarely happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Does anyone have the nutritional info for the ultimate burgers (or maybe I shouldn't ask! :o) Can't find it on myfitness pal - maybe they are too new.

meeeeh wrote: »
    It works well with white fish. Fry a bit of pancetta, add tomatoes and a bit of vinegar. Add to some panfried cod with sliced scallions. Or you can wrap it around monk fish. I also use it as topping on pizza.

I was thinking pizza but when I fried it a lot of fat came out of it. Bit worried it would just leave the pizza a soggy mess. Maybe fry it off a bit first?

Is pancetta not usually in the form of little cubes?

All this talk of wrapping chicken and fish has me confused!

It is most commonly the little cubes, in supermarkets anyway, but it also comes in thin slices.

I was thinking pizza but when I fried it a lot of fat came out of it. Bit worried it would just leave the pizza a soggy mess. Maybe fry it off a bit first?

It's fine but I put on only three or four slices. The oven has to be very hot too.

• Advertisement

That's cooking pancetta (I think unsmoked). The sliced one is dry cured smoked and can be eaten without cooking. Same as salami or parma ham. It has much more intense flavour.

Advertisement