Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

They've a new black and white pudding made by McCarthy's butchers in Kanturk. They are about the size of burger. Might be interesting to try!

Many regard McCarthy of Kanturk's black pudding as the best you can buy. I haven't managed to get any in Aldi yet as it sells out fast. Got some of their white pudding this pm and will try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Lissavane wrote: »
    Many regard McCarthy of Kanturk's black pudding as the best you can buy. I haven't managed to get any in Aldi yet as it sells out fast. Got some of their white pudding this pm and will try later.

McCarthy’s puddings are simply amazing. Really good. If we get the large ones I’ll cook them in the oven and chop into a salad. Delish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

What are halloumi fries? Are they similar to mozzarella sticks or are they some kind of cheese/potato product? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

What are halloumi fries? Are they similar to mozzarella sticks or are they some kind of cheese/potato product? :confused:

I'd say it's just haloumi in a crispy coating, no potato. So basically like mozzarella sticks, just firmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

never mind WHAT they are, WHERE are they? Went to 3 Aldis yesterday and none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,773 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Would yis not just make your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

FYI I just saw the halloumi fries in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

B0jangles wrote: »
    FYI I just saw the halloumi fries in Bray

Checked the freezers in 2 Aldis in Galway today. Nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Halloumi fries in Letterkenny, got a bag this afternoon on way from work. Do them with some salad as starter tomorrow.

Success at long last at new lands cross.

Picked up 2 packs, a Lacura hot cloth cleanser , Beverly Hills whitening toothpaste and a bottle of sparkling Chardonnay all for 25! Priorities!

Easy to spoil yourself at Aldi.

Lady on checkout said , if they look lovely, everyone's buying then, they only came in today!

• Advertisement

Cooked them, very hard like over fried chicken nuggets. I think I must have overcoojed them.

A lot of grease came out during cooking. Very salty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I might be a bit dense but isn't just as easy to cut halumi, toss it in a bit of flour and cook it under oven grill?

Same with burgers, it takes about 5 minutes to make your own burger and you know exactly what are you putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're not potato fries coated in cheese? Its actual solid fried cheese?

Thargor wrote: »
    They're not potato fries coated in cheese? Its actual solid fried cheese?

Yep.

Mine did not end up like cheese but a hard dried out yoke. Will try again.

Still ate them all.

Hmmm, that doesnt sound very appetising from a freezer in Aldi tbh. Maybe if Gordon Ramsay cooked it fresh in front of you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Bought a packet of the angus giant burgers to try them out.
    Any tips for cooking them ?Wrap in tinfoil in the oven? Never done a burger in the oven before
    Gonna stick 1 in the oven tomorrow night.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I got the 8oz beef burgers myself, I spread them out and made them flatter, putting them into the griddle pan. They turned out so nice! I have to say, the small 4pack of Angus burger is very nice too, they're just a good bit leaner.

I always bought the 1L bottles of Del Rivo orange juice (wish they'd stuck with TetraPak instead of switching to plastic bottles though) but they didnt have any this morning so I bought the 1L bottle of specially selected freshly squeezed OJ with the black label instead, and wow that is the nicest OJ you can buy in a shop imo, it smells and tastes like you just squeezed an orange into a glass, Ill be switching permanently, its fecking lovely with bacon and eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thargor wrote: »
    I always bought the 1L bottles of Del Rivo orange juice (wish they'd stuck with TetraPak instead of switching to plastic bottles though) but they didnt have any this morning so I bought the 1L bottle of specially selected freshly squeezed OJ with the black label instead, and wow that is the nicest OJ you can buy in a shop imo, it smells and tastes like you just squeezed an orange into a glass, Ill be switching permanently, its fecking lovely with bacon and eggs.

Only issue is the deal rivio can last a month or so and I can stock up.

The freshly squeezed has a short life.

I feel the del rivio tasted better from the tetra pack as well but maybe in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Didn’t enjoy the Haloumi fries just tasted of salt.

Has anyone tried the instant coffees?Is any decent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Antibac wrote: »

Agree about the halloumi fries, very disappointed. Just make 'em myself next time.
    Dunno about their instant coffee but the ground is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Antibac wrote: »

The Colombian Instant Coffee is very good. A fraction of the price of branded coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

The Colombian Instant Coffee is very good. A fraction of the price of branded coffees.

Cheers I’ll pick one up next time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The high protein flavoured quark is lovely stuff.

So is their new high protein granola.

In fact they go quite well together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The high protein flavoured quark is lovely stuff.

So is their new high protein granola.

In fact they go quite well together.

Ive seen quark as well in lidl.
    Is it a form of cottege cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If i had to describe quark i would say it is something between cottage cheese and yoghurt as it comes to taste and texture.

The French fromage frais, if you ever had that, is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Ive seen quark as well in lidl.
    Is it a form of cottege cheese?

It's like a firm, textured cheese, it has kind of a sour flavour, I know people who eat it raw, not my thing really but I use it for all kinds of sweet dishes and desserts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I picked up a pot of the Soulful Brazilian tomato black bean, cashew and quinoa stew, it was delicious! Something I’m going to try to replicate myself soon, would be a very tasty and handy meal for entertaining vegan friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I picked up a pot of the Soulful Brazilian tomato black bean, cashew and quinoa stew, it was delicious! Something I’m going to try to replicate myself soon, would be a very tasty and handy meal for entertaining vegan friends.

Where is this stored?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Where is this stored?

It was in the same area as the biryani, tikka pots. Hadn’t noticed it before so possibly it’s new. I think I got it in the Long Mile Rd store

Advertisement