Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

LirW wrote: »
    It's like a firm, textured cheese, it has kind of a sour flavour, I know people who eat it raw, not my thing really but I use it for all kinds of sweet dishes and desserts.

I find it very similar to the 0% fat greek yogurt you can get e.g. Fage, Liberte, Glenisk, that kind of texture and thickness - unlike cottage cheese it is completely smooth. I eat it plain and find it lovely and not sour at all, but that totally depends on the brand and cultures etc. I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I find it very similar to the 0% fat greek yogurt you can get e.g. Fage, Liberte, Glenisk, that kind of texture and thickness - unlike cottage cheese it is completely smooth. I eat it plain and find it lovely and not sour at all, but that totally depends on the brand and cultures etc. I'd say!

Oh absolutely, I got quark in the polish week in Lidl, just the plain one because it's on the firmer side (firmer than greek yoghurt but not solid either) and is quite neutral, good for cooking. I know Tesco does quark too but that's sold out quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Had a BBQ this evening and threw a few Aldi Angus minute steaks on. Deadly, they were! Very tender. Also put some of their smoked mackerel and turkey sausages on too and they were great.

I was told they're getting charcoal in soon too so will be having a serious amount of Aldi BBQs this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Holy Moses!
    Saw these the other day. Around 3.60, so not cheap, but competing against those M&S things.
    These are a ball of choccy Brownie heaven!

ejg4rs.jpg

Couldn't get those ones in my local Aldi so I bough the brownie bites in the purple tub instead. Disappointed to be honest. They were very dry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Tried their specially selected premium white farmhouse loaf this week, think it was around 89 cent or so.

Really enjoyed it , was deliciously fresh for sandwiches and toasted some also with butcher rashers and butter with a mug of tea... yum yum.

Will be buying again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Had the halloumi fries last night... think you've got to be careful to not overcook them...
    but they were very nice with and Aldi Angus 8 Oz burger... will definitely return for more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just buy some Halloumi cut into chip sizes, roll in flour and fry yourself. Much much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

RasTa wrote:
    Just buy some Halloumi cut into chip sizes, roll in flour and fry yourself. Much much cheaper

This is the recommended from Aldi thread though.....

bertsmom wrote: »
    This is the recommended from Aldi thread though.....

Yeah, they sell Halloumi and flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RasTa wrote: »

I seriously wonder if it is cheaper to do this.
    Have you done the sums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Have you done the sums?

Have you done the sums?

Nope but I know I'm right, similar to those sweet potato fries or their Maris Pipper oven chips.

Always cheaper to do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nope but I know I'm right, similar to those sweet potato fries or their Maris Pipper oven chips.

Always cheaper to do it yourself

Many are happy to pay for convienence.

Anyway, back to the recommendations!
    I see the prepacked deluxe tortalini have some new fillings. Beef was one I think. Looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Bought these new, specially selected Irish Avalantino tomatoes... Nothing special. Regular vine tomatoes were better tbh. Waste of money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Jessica’s Lemon Drizzle cake was Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Was in Aldi tonight and was tempted by a stand mixer Ambiano 49.99.

Anyone got one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think someone mentioned the firey chilli ketchup earlier in the thread, I bought it a few weeks ago, and kept trying to convince myself that I was enjoying it.

Too sickly sweet for my liking.

Turfed in to the wheeliebin this morning.

Manky stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think someone mentioned the firey chilli ketchup earlier in the thread, I bought it a few weeks ago, and kept trying to convince myself that I was enjoying it.

Too sickly sweet for my liking.

Turfed in to the wheeliebin this morning.

Manky stuff.
    I've tried all their sauces, taco, garlic mayonnaise, garlic and herb, the dips over at the crisps (utterly disgusting) and usually end up doing the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Found the halloumi fries in aldi westside galway yesterday. Will report back when I have tried them, see if I've anything different to report to others..

Found the halloumi fries in aldi westside galway yesterday. Will report back when I have tried them, see if I've anything different to report to others..

They cook very quick so watch them. One sec they are grand and next one shriveled up.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    Was in Aldi tonight and was tempted by a stand mixer Ambiano 49.99.

Anyone got one?

Ok one is bought. Let’s see how good or bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

New ice cream cupcakes (Grainnes) from the freezer section. 4.99 for 4. They look lovely but taste horrible. Cheap, artificial-tasting strawberry ice cream, nasty chocolate ice cream. Sponge on the bottom is as dry as dust.

Aldi over here have discontinued Kavanghas organic porridge and both versions of dried tagliatelle of all things. I'm not impressed. New English porridge is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Specially Selected Green Bean salad is delicious, 1.99. Really crunchy and the dressing is spicy.

Also, the Nero'D'avola Red Wine, 10/10!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Went to buy some of their wholemeal and white bread flour today and it was gone too :(

I baked a lemon drizzle cake using the Aldi Mixer and it came out very well. I don't bake that often so this was perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Antibac wrote: »
    Jessica’s Lemon Drizzle cake was Lovely

We tried this at the weekend and didn't like it at all.

The base was very wet with all the lemon syrup and the rest was very dry. Was disappointed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Alun wrote: »
    Went to buy some of their wholemeal and white bread flour today and it was gone too :(

That's what annoys me about Aldi - they're not consistent. I got great Tipo flour there a while ago I but haven't seen it again since.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's what annoys me about Aldi - they're not consistent. I got great Tipo flour there a while ago I but haven't seen it again since.
    The Tipo flour was one of their specials from FWP Matthews, so they'll always be available for a limited time only. They've also had some great bread flours from them Cotswold Crunch and 8 Grain.

Then a while back they started selling basic strong bread flour in amongst the other baking stuff as well as dried yeast as a normal line. just as I got used to it being there it's disappeared.

Talking to one of their managers the other day about another shortage, this time Basmati rice, he seemed to be implying it was a supplier issue, or rather the way Aldi treat them. They'll find a supplier for a product, offering them a decent price to lure them in and then gradually start putting the pressure on until they eventually say no more. Then there's a delay until they can find a new supplier to take over. Rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I find the fruit in Aldi to be poor especially their berries - blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Too often they go soft quickly (like they had been frozen before going on the shelf) and the blueberries get mouldy.

I tend to go to Tesco now to stock up. Expensive but worth it. Tesco do a select (expensive) range of raspberries (from Portugal I think) and they are beautiful.

I stopped buying avocado in Aldi as they were full of black bits when opened.

The sea trout in Aldi is lovely. It has bones but is a good alternative to salmon. The ordinary salmon there is very fatty so I started buying the organic one. Big difference in quality but it is expensive.

Advertisement