Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Zelda247 wrote: »
    The Specially Selected Green Bean salad is delicious, 1.99. Really crunchy and the dressing is spicy.

!
    Dressing is too oily for me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never had any problems with the fruit or avocados myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The oranges are lovely and I've never had a bad one but I agree about the berries.
    Time and time again I've given them a chance and they just go fluffy and soft the next day.
    On a side note, Lidl do the freshest fruit and veg I've ever come across, especially the salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭damianch

• Corley's Gin - A steal at €12.99
    • Toro Loco Tampranillo Red & Rose Wine.
    • Pesto- Red & Green
    • Cheese- Any of the specially selected range. Especially the roquefort when they have it. Their peppered crackers are great to with.
    • Tinned Tuna Chunks
    • Kania Real Mayonaise
    • Batts Caesar Salad Dressing !

On the No list would be softer fruits and vegetables which seem to grow mould in no time especially Blueberries, Raspberries, Tomatoes, Mange Tout, String Beans etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

damianch wrote: »
    • Corley's Gin - A steal at €12.99
    • Toro Loco Tampranillo Red & Rose Wine.
    • Pesto- Red & Green
    • Cheese- Any of the specially selected range. Especially the roquefort when they have it. Their peppered crackers are great to with.
    • Tinned Tuna Chunks
    • Kania Real Mayonaise
    • Batts Caesar Salad Dressing !

On the No list would be softer fruits and vegetables which seem to grow mould in no time especially Blueberries, Raspberries, Tomatoes, Mange Tout, String Beans etc

+1. Beautiful wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Piece in the FT last weekend about Aldi and Lidl.

Mentioned that they stock about 2000 items, which they try to sell in large volume, thus allowing them to negotiate very competitive prices with their suppliers.

Apparently, the big players in UK, Tesco and Sainsbury’s, for example, stock about 20000 items.

This is a fundamental difference in their respective strategies.

Just wondering if any of you use Aldi for certain staples (we buy their outstanding Parmigiano Reggiano cheese by the kilo!) and buy the rest of shop elsewhere?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The nets of oranges are great for squeezing fresh orange. Beautiful sweet juice like you would get on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Alun wrote: »
    I second the OP and find Aldi's avocados awful. Lidl's are way bigger and tastier, even if more expensive lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Avocados are tricky. The ready to it once are more expensive, but more reliable. The regular once are hit and miss really.

Had same issues with other shops, too, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I avoid Lidl for fruit to be honest, unless its apples.

I don't understand the love-in for their fruit, I never seen the appeal of it, not great quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dinarius wrote: »

Just wondering if any of you use Aldi for certain staples (we buy their outstanding Parmigiano Reggiano cheese by the kilo!) and buy the rest of shop elsewhere?

D.

Yes we do our main weekly shop elsewhere and go to Aldi for specific things - their Parmigiano Reggiano being one of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

RasTa wrote: »
    Aldi over here have discontinued Kavanghas organic porridge and both versions of dried tagliatelle of all things. I'm not impressed. New English porridge is terrible.

Nooooo those porridge oats were my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Don't know if it's new but I picked up a 450g plastic tub of crunchy peanut butter yesterday for €2.99. The Foodie Market brand. Best thing is there's no palm oil in it! Pair it with a jar of specially selected strawberry conserve for €1.29 and some brown bread in the plastic box and it's a match made in heaven!

Yes we do our main weekly shop elsewhere and go to Aldi for specific things - their Parmigiano Reggiano being one of them.
    We're exactly the opposite, main shop in Aldi and pick up bits and pieces elsewhere when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The tortellini is not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The tortellini is not nice.
    Which one?

I for some reason bought a chicken/bacon type variant a while back, and it was only ok, but recently had the spinach/ricotta one with the tomato and mascarpone stir-in sauce and some crispy bacon added, and it made for a very tasty dinner indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Which one?

I for some reason bought a chicken/bacon type variant a while back, and it was only ok, but recently had the spinach/ricotta one with the tomato and mascarpone stir-in sauce and some crispy bacon added, and it made for a very tasty dinner indeed.

Have had that combination (without the added bacon) and really like it. Great quick dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Which one?

Is that a fresh sauce or the one from the dried pasta aisle? That sounds really nice, must try that combination

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is that a fresh sauce or the one from the dried pasta aisle? That sounds really nice, must try that combination
    Small jar from the pasta/sauces section. I'm sure it's deeply unhealthy, but I'm addicted! Some of their delicious parmesan cheese adds to the whole thing. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I find the fruit in Aldi to be poor especially their berries - blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Too often they go soft quickly (like they had been frozen before going on the shelf) and the blueberries get mouldy.

Completely agree with the berries. They are gone off by the time I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Small jar from the pasta/sauces section. I'm sure it's deeply unhealthy, but I'm addicted! Some of their delicious parmesan cheese adds to the whole thing. Yum.

Oh when I tried it it was with the fresh tomato and mascarpone sauce. It’s really nice. Only complaint is there’s loads of sauce and you’d only need about half per pack of tortellini!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I buy 2 different packs of 300 gram Tortellini and 1 tub of sauce.
    That is 2 days dinner sorted in 5\10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dinarius wrote: »
    Piece in the FT last weekend about Aldi and Lidl.

Mentioned that they stock about 2000 items, which they try to sell in large volume, thus allowing them to negotiate very competitive prices with their suppliers.

Apparently, the big players in UK, Tesco and Sainsbury’s, for example, stock about 20000 items.

This is a fundamental difference in their respective strategies.

D.

The smaller product range also means that it’s easier & quicker to shop in a Aldi or Lidl. I honestly don’t think I’d go back to a large Tesco again.

I don’t know about the tortellini, but the fresh gnocchi are great. They cook in about 2-3 minutes and then add them to a blue cheese sauce, or pour some browned butter over them. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I love the Memento half coated chocalate fruit and nut cookies. Plain ones are lovely too, crumble in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Have aldi stopped selling their garlic mushrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think Aldi have discontinued selling the green 6 pack sparkling water, was told by a worker in one she thinks they are discontinued. The sparkling water in lidl is crap, not half as fizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

fin12 wrote: »
    I think Aldi have discontinued selling the green 6 pack sparkling water, was told by a worker in one she thinks they are discontinued. The sparkling water in lidl is crap, not half as fizzy.
    That can't be true, it must be one of their biggest sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They had glass bottles of still and fizzy mineral water in my local Aldi yesterday. While the idea isn't bad, I don't think they are going to sell well at 99 Cent for a 750ml bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thargor wrote: »
    That can't be true, it must be one of their biggest sellers.

Well they were nowhere to be found in the shop and I asked the girl working there and that’s what she said to me, I’ll be going to a different Aldi later today so just have to wait and see are they there.

Advertisement