Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They had glass bottles of still and fizzy mineral water in my local Aldi yesterday. While the idea isn't bad, I don't think they are going to sell well at 99 Cent for a 750ml bottle.

I always buy the glass bottles because I try to avoid plastic where possible but my local Aldi haven't had the sparkling one for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The water in the six packs the sparkling ones were reduced in price the last few weeks maybe they were selling them off :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The water in the six packs the sparkling ones were reduced in price the last few weeks maybe they were selling them off :/

Possibly a new supplier starting up?
    The same happened with the aldi version of Cheerios , reduced, then gone a week or two and now back. Not sure if they’re changed or the same as before as haven’t opened them yet. I’m sure the kids will notice if they’re different!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Sorry guys I got the 6 pack of sparkling water in a different Aldi so they haven’t been discontinued. The bottle is a little bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

fin12 wrote:
    Sorry guys I got the 6 pack of sparkling water in a different Aldi so they haven’t been discontinued. The bottle is a little bit different.

Thank God for this! 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I mean these days with people trying to switch from coke etc, it would be like randomly stopping selling orange juice, never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They stopped selling doughnuts years ago, though.

Nothing will surprise me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Daisies wrote: »
    Nooooo those porridge oats were my favourite

Plenty of the organic oats in my locsl store this morning.

But no mint rice cakes.
    Could just be a stock issue.
    Happens from time to line stock lines go awol from stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pretty sure it's made in Ireland so won't be leaving. English over here have dropped it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Halloumi fries were excellent, definite preheated tray and seven minutes cook time though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if Aldi (or Lidl) stock red cabbage as a matter of course?

Fresh one? Haven't seen in Aldi yet, but it usually is available later in the year. Not sure about Lidl and other supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I bought red cabbage in Aldi before. Haven't seen any since about February.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If they do have them, it's usually in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got a shrink wrapped half red cabbage, pretty sure in tesco. I wish they all did these as I cannot fit a whole one in the fridge. And a whole one is too much anyway. Also it is much easier to cut up one which is already perfectly cut in half.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=290657228

IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Munster2018

Zelda247 wrote: »
    i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

Their vegetarian section is excellent. Particularly the prepared salads and beetroot burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And their steaks in the cardboard boxes are great

Can someone recommend a nice bottle of red wine please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

fin12 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a nice bottle of red wine please

E54_B57_B0-1_A4_D-4_E6_B-_B273-9_D61_ACA5_A563.jpg

Choose the green organic label as opposed to the, I think, red one. No hangover! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Toro Loco, we prefer the organic version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I came on to say Toro Loco, but beaten to it I see. Definitely the one to go for.

Choose the green organic label as opposed to the, I think, red one. No hangover! :D
    Is it sulphite free? They have an organic white wine as well which I hoped was sulphite free but wasn't according to the label which was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Alun wrote: »
    Is it sulphite free? They have an organic white wine as well which I hoped was sulphite free but wasn't according to the label which was disappointing.

No idea but after many bottles of research, I can vouch that the hangovers are milder than your normal bottle of white or red. I researched both, in the interests of science.

Thanks guys. I’m getting it for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    I wish they hadnt teased us with the sesame seed brioche buns before they disappeared last year though, those would be perfection.
    I got these this week, they were there earlier in the year and disappearred.

I think a good while ago they were more expensive than the regulars, but they were the same price now and last time.

I said before they have a very long shelf life, if unopened, mine are 27th july. So it would be good if having a big BBQ and you are unsure how many to get, only 4 in a pack too, so you are not cracking open 6 packs.

Some do not like brioche though so if having a BBQ I would get regular ones too.

No idea but after many bottles of research, I can vouch that the hangovers are milder than your normal bottle of white or red. I researched both, in the interests of science.
    Interesting, must do some research of my own :) After a bit of Googling it appears that sulphites occur naturally in wine due to the fermentation process but at relatively low levels, so even if none have been added, it still appears on the list of contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

rubadub wrote: »
    I got these this week, they were there earlier in the year and disappearred.

I think a good while ago they were more expensive than the regulars, but they were the same price now and last time.

I said before they have a very long shelf life, if unopened, mine are 27th july. So it would be good if having a big BBQ and you are unsure how many to get, only 4 in a pack too, so you are not cracking open 6 packs.

Some do not like brioche though so if having a BBQ I would get regular ones too.

People don't like brioche buns? What's wrong with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fin12 wrote: »
    I think Aldi have discontinued selling the green 6 pack sparkling water, was told by a worker in one she thinks they are discontinued. The sparkling water in lidl is crap, not half as fizzy.

What's the brand name on the bottle?

Sparkling water is back, but...

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/0620/971874-co2-shortage/

Shortage of CO2 across Europe.

First time ever I heard of something like this.

If you like fizzy drinks, top up your supplies ;)

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting, must do some research of my own :) After a bit of Googling it appears that sulphites occur naturally in wine due to the fermentation process but at relatively low levels, so even if none have been added, it still appears on the list of contents.

Doesn't need to be declared under certain level, though ;)

Advertisement