Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did a few of their fresh 1/4 pounder on the barbecue there yesterday evening, Jesus lads, they were delicious.

I'm not talking about the dressing/salad/bun either, the actual burger meat was gorgeous. Now in fairness maybe the barbecue added to the flavour , but even my kids (the eldest lad is a notoriously fussy eater) commented on the burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Tried the duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce this week, it's in the fresh meat section, in a box. Specially Selected range. It was yum! Just as good as the same dish from Mao At Home that we'd had the week before. About €5.49 I think. Really really recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Cool wrote: »
    Tried the duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce this week, it's in the fresh meat section, in a box. Specially Selected range. It was yum! Just as good as the same dish from Mao At Home that we'd had the week before. About €5.49 I think. Really really recommend!
    I had a Hoisin Duck Sourdough pizza from the Aldi freezers this week, absolutely disgusting, couldn't finish a slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Thargor wrote: »
    I had a Hoisin Duck Sourdough pizza from the Aldi freezers this week, absolutely disgusting, couldn't finish a slice.

Frozen Hoisin Duck Sourdough Pizza?

Who came up with this being a good idea for a meal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Specially Selected black and white mini puddings for €1.79; I found the white pudding lovely but the black was extremely bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Jiggly pops nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I had the Hoisin Duck pizza last week. I didn't think it was THAT bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Those sourdough pizza's are not as good as they used to be. Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had the Hoisin Duck pizza last week. I didn't think it was THAT bad!
    Me neither, in fact I don't think I've ever bought anything, anywhere that I literally couldn't eat at all. I'll probably never buy another one again, but it certainly wasn't inedible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

I love their specially selected java ground coffee
    Natural nut butters (the almond is as good if not better than meridian)
    Raw bars especially the peanut brownie ones
    The 5% burgers are really good too
    Current favourites but I'd do most of my shopping in aldi so I'll think of a few others to add to the list. Some great recommendations on
    This thread 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

wonski wrote: »

I think Gotham Restaurant in Dublin have this as a pizza choice.
    The first slice is amazing, but it quickly looses its novelty and you'd then pine for any other topping! :D

Speaking of pizza tried their fresh non frozen Sourdough Chicken Arrabiata pizza and found it very good except the amount of chicken (very little) and the price, think it is 4.99.

Maybe just picked poorly topped pack, because other than that nice base and well seasoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I think Gotham Restaurant in Dublin have this as a pizza choice.
    The first slice is amazing, but it quickly looses its novelty and you'd then pine for any other topping! :D

The Independent Pizza Co. in Drumcondra serves it too. Was in there last week for the first time in a while and it was a very disappointing meal- the pizza dough was bready and the nacho chips were stale. Also your can of coke is now a glass of coke instead. And this from a restaurant that normally produces superb food. Anyone know if theyre under new management or something or did I just get them on a bad day?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Independent Pizza Co. in Drumcondra serves it too. Was in there last week for the first time in a while and it was a very disappointing meal- the pizza dough was bready and the nacho chips were stale. Also your can of coke is now a glass of coke instead. And this from a restaurant that normally produces superb food. Anyone know if theyre under new management or something or did I just get them on a bad day?

Dunno but next time I’m in Aldi I’ll ask :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wonski wrote: »

sounded bizarre to me first too, but that is since whenever I hear pizza I automatically think it is a tomato sauce base with cheese and then extras.

I see tesco and iceland also sell these, and plenty of recipes online. I doubt many, if any, have cheese or tomato sauce. So you could think of it more like a form of giant pancake, with duck & hoisin sauce -which makes it seem more normal.

A chipper near me does a "doner kebab pizza", which I thought was odd, till I copped there was no cheese or tomato, it was just stuff you get in a kebab but on the pizza base. The pizza base in the chipper was really nice, far better than the crappy bought in pitta you would get with a chipper kebab. So was more like a giant flatbread you would get in a more authentic kebab place, you could roll the pizza up like a swiss roll and it would be even more similar.

EDIT- iceland one does have cheese http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-italian-stonebaked-hoisin-duck-pizza-350g/p/55512
    tomato too but lower on the list than hoisin.

I just prefer more classic pizzas, but sure, whatever sells and tastes.

I rather have a different meal with duck, not something pretending to be a pizza :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I picked up the smoked cod in the refrigerated section.
    It already has been defrosted, but that didn't put me off.
    For only 3 Euro or so, I thought it would be worth a try.

Will not be getting it again though.
    I've had fresh smoked cod before many times from fishmongers, but this was so salty it was inedible.
    Shame. I'm usually Aldi's biggest fan, but this was a huge let down.
    The unsmoked Cod seemed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I picked up the smoked cod in the refrigerated section.
    It already has been defrosted, but that didn't put me off.
    For only 3 Euro or so, I thought it would be worth a try.

Will not be getting it again though.
    I've had fresh smoked cod before many times from fishmongers, but this was so salty it was inedible.
    Shame. I'm usually Aldi's biggest fan, but this was a huge let down.
    The unsmoked Cod seemed ok.

The smoked coley is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Natural nut butters (the almond is as good if not better than meridian)

are those nut butters a special or are they stocked year round? Which kind of items are they usually sold beside please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Got fish cakes (2 pack) in Cod, Salmon, and Smoked Haddock, all very nice, good bit of fish in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

vicwatson wrote: »
    Got fish cakes (2 pack) in Cod, Salmon, and Smoked Haddock, all very nice, good bit of fish in them.

Were they the Specially Selected or anything? Bought the regular cod ones last week from the fridge section-they were awful, really runny inside and just not a nice texture at all. Used to buy them all the time and liked them so they must have changed those ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

sillysocks wrote: »
    Were they the Specially Selected or anything? Bought the regular cod ones last week from the fridge section-they were awful, really runny inside and just not a nice texture at all. Used to buy them all the time and liked them so they must have changed those ones!

IMO the salmon fishcakes with either watercress or spinach centres are the best ones. They beat Tesco's similar offerings hands down. Yes, they are slightly runny in the middle, but otherwise they'd be too dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I didnt know they did Almond Butter as well as their version of Meridian Peanut butter!
    How much is their Almond Butter as I havent seen it in my local???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

iora_rua wrote: »
    IMO the salmon fishcakes with either watercress or spinach centres are the best ones. They beat Tesco's similar offerings hands down. Yes, they are slightly runny in the middle, but otherwise they'd be too dry!

They are hands down the best you can get anywhere in normal shops, a lunch favourite of mine.

Got the chocolate brioche buns, the individually wrapped ones. They are nasty, can't eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LirW wrote: »
    Got the chocolate brioche buns, the individually wrapped ones. They are nasty, can't eat them.
    I haven't had them, but would try maybe toasting them under a grill, or dry frying at a low heat, just a bit. I do not like eating the little brioche buns without them being heated somehow, love them when heated, really freshens them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

iora_rua wrote: »

The Thai ones are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

rubadub wrote: »
    I haven't had them, but would try maybe toasting them under a grill, or dry frying at a low heat, just a bit. I do not like eating the little brioche buns without them being heated somehow, love them when heated, really freshens them up.

Theses ones just have this disgusting low quality cheapy texture, I don't think this would magically change them. They are like a tasteless sponge in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,704 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The McGraths reserve tea in the black box seems to be gone. Replaced by a Diplomat tea - anyone try it?
    Not sure whether to switch to it or try the McGraths Gold?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The McGraths reserve tea in the black box seems to be gone. Replaced by a Diplomat tea - anyone try it?
    Not sure whether to switch to it or try the McGraths Gold?

I noticed this yesterday. Bought the gold blend but haven't tried it yet.

Advertisement