Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    fussyonion wrote: »
    I always wondered; in what way is it hot?
    Is it spicy?

I think it means that it's cooked with heat, as opposed to cold smoked salmon which is not really cooked as such, so has a slimier texture (ugh!)

Oh that sounds right up my street as I hate normal smoked salmon.
    Thanks, I'll pick some up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I quite liked the bigger pudding and it is great value. It had loads of toffee sauce.

Maybe I just got a dodgy one. Mine had hardly any sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think it means that it's cooked with heat, as opposed to cold smoked salmon which is not really cooked as such, so has a slimier texture (ugh!)

Yea it's smoked in a hot house so the fish is cooked while smoked. Cold smoked means the smoke passes through a funnel or tube so it's entirely cold when it reaches the fish & thus doesn't cook it. The hot smoked is lovely from Aldi alright :)
    Recently I tried the pastry parcels- Chicken & Mushroom/Chicken Curry. Thought them a bit meh, a lot of pastry and not enough filling for my taste. REALLY liked the Tilda Caribbean rice& peas they had as a special for a while.

638%C3%971000-306x480.png

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Had their jaffa cakes there today and although they're a bit smaller than normal ones there's a much better ratio of base to jelly to chocolate. I think they're better than regular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh that sounds right up my street as I hate normal smoked salmon.
    Thanks, I'll pick some up!

Sometimes you'll see the hot smoked salmon labelled as BBQ salmon.
    (or at least, it's a similar product)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had the Ice Cream Cupcakes yesterday. Reminded me of Birds Eye Artic Roll in it’s day. Lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Discovered this Stone Oven Bake at Home Bagette today. Used it to make garlic bread. Turned out like a proper French Bagette with a lovely rustic crust and fluffy inside. Dangerously good! :)

0_D460644-4385-43_BB-_BF67-3_A23_FCB33_F9_E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The salted caramel cornettos.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

KevIRL wrote: »

We love them.....our excuse for having the most night the last few weeks was......ah sure it hot out :D

OMG. The pineapple and almond cheese! Just had some on the black pepper crackers. Gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

KevIRL wrote: »

Triple ?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The Sloppy Joe pizza with a bit of Salami added, nicest shop pizza I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Just wondering has anybody noticed their bread isn't as good recently?

I bought two the other day (going on a picnic and wanted a selection!) The malted sourdough sounded lovely and was in date but was totally stale as in pretty hard on the edge of each slice and continued to about half way in

Also, bought a seeded cob which I hadn't seen before-again in date but same story as above

Both were chucked out-def couldn't have had sambos with them and weren't even good enough for toast. Am aware I could have brought them back but wasn't up for the aggro!

Pity because I used to like their bread but it's turned me right off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I haven't noticed that with bread, but it happened to me with other bread before. I usually pick the ones from the back of the shelf to get the freshest batch.

And always make sure to keep it closed as tightly as possible.

Agreed re refunds, I am also not one to go with a loaf or a bag of apples for refunds. I just stop buying things I am not happy about. If the quality drops they will notice it in drop in sales anyway.

Speaking of bread low gi loaf is pretty good, my favourite at the moment. Used to buy Honey and spelt, but it is not as good as it used to be for some time now. Probably different recipe or supplier.

As a side note all the bread in supermarkets comes from pretty much same places, most of them well known bakeries and some "smaller". If you notice drop in quality in Aldi, it is very likely the quality of similar product in another chain drops, too. Could be a supplier issue that they are not aware of yet, but will find out at some point when sales drop and returns increase - yes some people do bother and bring it back. Fully entitled to it tbh.

chocfan wrote: »
    Just wondering has anybody noticed their bread isn't as good recently?

I bought two the other day (going on a picnic and wanted a selection!) The malted sourdough sounded lovely and was in date but was totally stale as in pretty hard on the edge of each slice and continued to about half way in

Also, bought a seeded cob which I hadn't seen before-again in date but same story as above

Both were chucked out-def couldn't have had sambos with them and weren't even good enough for toast. Am aware I could have brought them back but wasn't up for the aggro!

Pity because I used to like their bread but it's turned me right off

Yes, I thought it was us. We loved the 6 seed cob but noticed it was hard the last few weeks so stopped getting it. Don't understand because it's new to the bread range. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We got the sourdough a few times and we had the same issue as the person had above.
    My local Aldi is closed for a few weeks now and a few years ago we'd have being put out because we used nearly get all out shopping their but now we nearly manage to get a basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,044 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The weather is going to be a huge factor here - bread will go stale faster on the shelf in this weather. Drier air and potentially aircon in stores will be sucking moisture out

Ive had this problem for a while now and stopped buying it before the heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,044 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Ive had this problem for a while now and stopped buying it before the heatwave.

Its been abnormally dry for a lot longer than the heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

L1011 wrote: »
    The weather is going to be a huge factor here - bread will go stale faster on the shelf in this weather. Drier air and potentially aircon in stores will be sucking moisture out

Fact.

I find at home the bread is going off a lot quicker than "normal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree. Even our home made bread is going stale quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Valencia orange ice lollies.

Nom nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

+1
    Perfect size for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

The multigrain toasting muffins are lovely for breakfast. They are packaged for long life and don't go stale as easily as the other breads at the moment. Perfect with the pineapple and almond cream cheese on top :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Alun wrote: »
    Agree. Even our home made bread is going stale quicker.

Excellent for b and b pudding...

Bloomin pears! Bought some last week and they refused to ripen. Like bullets. Bought some on Wednesday and had to bin them this morning as they were complete mush and one was growing mould.
    No happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bloomin pears! Bought some last week and they refused to ripen. Like bullets. Bought some on Wednesday and had to bin them this morning as they were complete mush and one was growing mould.
    No happy medium.

We never have any luck with pears - they are either too ripe or they never ripen. So annoying cos there's nothing like a perfectly ripe juicy pear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No happy medium.

I spent about 3 weeks there waiting for a bag of pears to ripen, and they never did - they went from brick hard to wrinkly soft without ever actually tasting of anything. I ended up having to give them to the blackbirds because they were turning mushy.

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    I spent about 3 weeks there waiting for a bag of pears to ripen, and they never did - they went from brick hard to wrinkly soft without ever actually tasting of anything. I ended up having to give them to the blackbirds because they were turning mushy.

I'm giving up on pears!

Advertisement