Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Falafels seemed to have been delisted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

vicwatson wrote: »
    You hardly have a picture or a link to this sourdough? Was in local Aldi and they said they don't have it and that I wasn't the first person to ask for it, is it long out?? Don't recall ever seeing it in the bread section.

We got bread maker now so I don't know if it's there anymore but it was definitely around before February. It's specially select and it's tapered loaf shape not sliced pan. I think it's much nicer than sliced pans but sour dough from decent bakery will be much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Got the mature cheese spread and it is great! Thanks for the heads up.

Could not get the sourdough bread, nor could I find the salmon delight thing either. The shop was busy so no staff available to ask.

But I will persevere, and try on another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Got the mature cheese spread and it is great! Thanks for the heads up.

Could not get the sourdough bread, nor could I find the salmon delight thing either. The shop was busy so no staff available to ask.

But I will persevere, and try on another day!
    Mmmm, the salmon mousse on sourdough bread.... now THAT would be a nice lunch!

Must seek out both, very soon!

I'm liking the sound of this cheese spread, that's going on the list as well.

Got an imitation Philadelphia tub in Aldi (I think) the other day - garlic and herbs soft cheese - and it's AWFUL. Watery, light, soooo disappointing! Not a bit like I'd expected or hoped it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Mmmm, the salmon mousse on sourdough bread.... now THAT would be a nice lunch!

Must seek out both, very soon!

I'm liking the sound of this cheese spread, that's going on the list as well.

Got an imitation Philadelphia tub in Aldi (I think) the other day - garlic and herbs soft cheese - and it's AWFUL. Watery, light, soooo disappointing! Not a bit like I'd expected or hoped it would be.

Yep the garlic and herb soft cheese can get a watery top. But when you tip it out or stir it up it's fine, and tastes great.

Going to Aldi again on Sat morn. If they don't have the sourdough and the salmon tub, I will be very cross!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

prodsc wrote: »
    Falafels seemed to have been delisted!

Saw them in store today - by the deli part where coleslaw etc is

The hunt for sourdough goes on !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Heading to Aldi this week, shopping list has grown a good bit since coming into this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Saw them in store today - by the deli part where coleslaw etc is

Mustn't have been selling in Sligo. Haven't been on the shelves for a few weeks and an employee told me he thought they had been delisted.

Must check out the Tesco version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Aldi in Terenure stock the sourdough bread. It was there a couple of days ago!

Falafels also there but I think they're yucky, tesco version much nicer!

I got the spreadable goats cheese. At first I thought it was a bit underwhelming flavour wise and I think it's a bit too runny. However on (too much) further inspection their is a nice (albeit mellow) flavour. It's definitely too thin though!

• Advertisement

Is this it (Google image excuse the size)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The ones I bought were longer and thinner. More Vienna loaf shape. The packaging is less transparent. I think the one in the link is sold in some other market(s).

Also it's not exactly sourdough but it has yeast added to it. It's great if you are looking for something nicer than sliced pan but it has less distinctive taste as sour dough.

Yes that pic could be from the USA In fairness

No that's not it :) I'll be in aldi soon I'll see if they have any and will post up a pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Loads of the Sourdough loaves in the Bray Aldi today ...

209qzpw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Alun wrote: »
    Loads of the Sourdough loaves in the Bray Aldi today ...

Must try this, I'd say would be lovely with a brunchy breakfast - like eggs benedict! Must try and make a hollandaise sauce soon.

leahyl wrote: »
    Must try this, I'd say would be lovely with a brunchy breakfast - like eggs benedict! Must try and make a hollandaise sauce soon.

Not all stores have it it seems, looks gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not all stores have it it seems, looks gorgeous
    Previously when I've bought it it was just one or two loaves chucked in amongst a bunch of other bread, but this is the first time I've seen it with it's own section on the shelves, so it must be popular.

Still plenty of falafel too, which doesn't seem to be in all stores, but no sign of the salmon mousse thingy :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

leahyl wrote: »

Faith's recipe in the Cooking Club is really easy, and tastes great :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98429328&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Picked up the sourdough loaf today.
    It's tasty but it doesn't taste any different to any of those bakery loaves you can get in any supermarket.
    There's no distinctive taste or anything; just tastes like white bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

fussyonion wrote: »
    Picked up the sourdough loaf today.
    It's tasty but it doesn't taste any different to any of those bakery loaves you can get in any supermarket.
    There's no distinctive taste or anything; just tastes like white bread.

I agree. Its a nice loaf of break for less than €1, but its not a patch on real sour dough.

Makes nice toast however!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I agree. Its a nice loaf of break for less than €1, but its not a patch on real sour dough.

Makes nice toast however!

Yeah, don't get me wrong; it was actually lovely and it made a tasty ham sandwich today, but I hear a lot of people saying it's even nicer toasted, so I might try that in the morning with some Aldi cheese spread.
    And yeah, for €1, you can't go wrong :)

It's definitely nicer toasted.

I agree it's not a patch on real sourdough loaf but it's a good cheap alternative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

The specially selected fish cakes are beautiful. There are 3 different types, but the salmon are by far the best!..

Did anyone here get to try their vegetable crisps??

I loved them but they have been discontinued *sobs*!

Did anyone here get to try their vegetable crisps??

I loved them but they have been discontinued *sobs*!
    I have never found veggie crisps that aren't a complete greasefest that make me feel sick :(

I have never found veggie crisps that aren't a complete greasefest that make me feel sick :(

Did you try the aldi ones?

I didn't find them too greasy, I loved them dipped into sour cream. Sorta defeating the err slightly healthier purpose of them but hey :)

Did you try the aldi ones?

I didn't find them too greasy, I loved them dipped into sour cream. Sorta defeating the err slightly healthier purpose of them but hey :)
    I've tried all of them! If they have enough salt on them to give me a heart attack by the end of next week, they're very tasty and I can't stop, but then about an hour later I just feel ill.

They're all deep fried in the end of the day. Sour cream is the last of your worries! (not meant to be a nutritional lecture btw!)

Walkers baked ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I always found the Aldi Veg crisps to be quite salty so I bought the Lidl ones.

• Advertisement

I've tried all of them! If they have enough salt on them to give me a heart attack by the end of next week, they're very tasty and I can't stop, but then about an hour later I just feel ill.

They're all deep fried in the end of the day. Sour cream is the last of your worries! (not meant to be a nutritional lecture btw!)

Walkers baked ftw :D

Oh totally agree!

I used to like walkers baked but they just don't do it for me anymore! I think they're too dry (not exactly surprising given they're baked though lol)

I don't mind those ones made from cassava though, can't think of the name!

Advertisement