Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Has any found cream from Aldi going sour well before its use by date? Not sure is it an issue with my fridge or the cream, although fridge seems cold enough and haven't had other issues. I had cream that was out on the 18.08 last night and was almost sick after tasting it :(

Cream is cream. The only difference between Aldi/Lidl/Dunnes will be the packaging. Even the dairy brand will be the same.
    Maybe a crate of it was left out of the fridge for a while and you were unlucky to pick one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

.red. wrote: »
    Maybe a crate of it was left out of the fridge for a while and you were unlucky to pick one of them?

Thanks but should have mentioned it has happened consistently, last time just having the biggest disparity between when I used it and the use by date on the bottle (9 days). I guess I wanted to check if this happens others or is it just me being either unlucky or maybe there is an issue with my fridge....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks but should have mentioned it has happened consistently, last time just having the biggest disparity between when I used it and the use by date on the bottle (9 days). I guess I wanted to check if this happens others or is it just me being either unlucky or maybe there is an issue with my fridge....

This sounds very similar to my experience with their chicken. A few times it was off well before the use by date. Nothing wrong with my fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I find most of their stuff is very good quality and you save so much on essentials if you shop there

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

nc6000 wrote: »
    This sounds very similar to my experience with their chicken. A few times it was off well before the use by date. Nothing wrong with my fridge.

Yes, I have actually experienced that myself as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is their bakery any good?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They don’t have bakeries. A few stores got one as a trial but they're not putting them in all stores.

They don’t have bakeries. A few stores got one as a trial but they're not putting them in all stores.

Thanks.
    My Aldi is reopening soon after refurbishment. It was meant to have a bakery but the planning got delayed. So it may not be happening now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thanks.
    My Aldi is reopening soon after refurbishment. It was meant to have a bakery but the planning got delayed. So it may not be happening now.

A lot of them are getting work done at the moment but as far as I know they are just adding an extra aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Has any found cream from Aldi going sour well before its use by date? Not sure is it an issue with my fridge or the cream, although fridge seems cold enough and haven't had other issues. I had cream that was out on the 18.08 last night and was almost sick after tasting it :(

Has this issue with their milk for ages but hasn’t happened for a while. I just thought they were being too generous with their BB dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

vicwatson wrote: »
    Has this issue with their milk for ages but hasn’t happened for a while. I just thought they were being too generous with their BB dates

Strange. I've started buying Aldi milk recently, because I had trouble with Avonmore milk constantly going sour. I have had no issues with the Aldi milk so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

We have also had the occasional problem with whole chickens but they have refunded us no problem. Also happened in Dunnes numerous times resulting in a very stinky fridge! Seemingly it's when the plastic gets a tiny hole in it and it goes off very quickly after that. Now we cook it or freeze it the day we get it.

Strange. I've started buying Aldi milk recently, because I had trouble with Avonmore milk constantly going sour. I have had no issues with the Aldi milk so far.

Yes it hasn’t been an issue in the last 6 months but up to that, constantly putting it down the sink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Compared to Lidl they're not great. I'm only going by the one in Wilton

Compared to Lidl they're not great. I'm only going by the one in Wilton

They look a lot smaller than the Lidl ones.
    The car park is going to be tight in our Aldi now due to this extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I no longer keep milk in the fridge door. ...same for anything fragile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not a huge fan of ready meals. But the Mushroom risotto was very good, nice taste of wine from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

^ is that the one in the packet near all the rice/spaghetti? That’s soooo good! Myself and my partner devour it every time. Actually had a well known branded version and it was rotten compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What temperature was your fridge at?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Spicy bean burger's are nice enough, finally gave them a go this evening.

• Advertisement

One thing I have to say about all the supermarkets is I have never really have meat/milk go off.
    However when ever I pick up an item I always try and get a good date, I make sure it looks nice and the packaging isn't blown/is holed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I only buy meat at 50% off lately as i've a bargain hunting gene passed down by the mother and don't notice any difference in quality.
    ^ is that the one in the packet near all the rice/spaghetti? That’s soooo good! Myself and my partner devour it every time. Actually had a well known branded version and it was rotten compared to it.

Yeah like above it had the 50% off sticker, was in a big bowl and specially selected range.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

for anyone who likes full bodied red wine this Aimone for €6.99 is an absolute steal!!!!

AimoneItalianRedA1534275191.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

for anyone who likes full bodied red wine this Aimone for €6.99 is an absolute steal!!!!

I bought a bottle today. Will be reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

I bought a bottle today. Will be reporting.

I feel under pressure now!!

FYI this is our normal go to red from Aldi for the past few years, again IMHO an excellent wine for the price which IIRC is around €6:49 or so ATM. Good review of it here.

CtesDuRhneVillagesA1534350800.jpg

The Seasame seeded Brioche burger buns far nicer texture than the regular ones

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Seasame seeded Brioche burger buns far nicer texture than the regular ones

Are they back? Brilliant news, agree they're way nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    Are they back? Brilliant news, agree they're way nicer.
    Looks like they're not back, they're a different brand from Specially Selected, they're mixed in with the wholegrain rolls and hotdog buns. Still going to try them though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Got the Keralan Curry kit, my Aldi still had a good load of them.
    I gotta say, for a ready made sauce it's really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If anyone sees the chilli con carne 2-part sauce (dry spices in the lid) anywhere in Dublin will you let me know?

Was the nicest chilli sauce I've ever used, and I haven't seen it in ages - I'll buy a case of the bloody stuff if I can find it again!

(Aldi replied to an enquiry from me a while back that it was winter stock, but I didn't see it at all last winter)

Advertisement