Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If anyone sees the chilli con carne 2-part sauce (dry spices in the lid) anywhere in Dublin will you let me know?

Was the nicest chilli sauce I've ever used, and I haven't seen it in ages - I'll buy a case of the bloody stuff if I can find it again!

(Aldi replied to an enquiry from me a while back that it was winter stock, but I didn't see it at all last winter)

That's what they told me, too. Unfortunately it never came back. Was very popular in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

One thing I have to say about all the supermarkets is I have never really have meat/milk go off.
    However when ever I pick up an item I always try and get a good date, I make sure it looks nice and the packaging isn't blown/is holed.

My milk selection technique in supermarkets is simple- reef your arm right into the back of the shelf and pick away.
    If anyone sees the chilli con carne 2-part sauce (dry spices in the lid) anywhere in Dublin will you let me know?

Was the nicest chilli sauce I've ever used, and I haven't seen it in ages - I'll buy a case of the bloody stuff if I can find it again!

(Aldi replied to an enquiry from me a while back that it was winter stock, but I didn't see it at all last winter)

Agreed that chili sauce + spices product was superb and it had a lot of fans on here. As said above it was supposed to show up again last winter but didnt. We need to put together a pressure group :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Do they sell puppy food in Aldi?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

fin12 wrote: »
    Do they sell puppy food in Aldi?

Yes, in my local it's near off licence and toilet roll etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Yes, in my local it's near off licence and toilet roll etc.

Because puppies drive you to drink and there's usually shyte everywhere from them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks like they're not back, they're a different brand from Specially Selected, they're mixed in with the wholegrain rolls and hotdog buns. Still going to try them though...

Yes, they are back, and still specially selected, maybe its store/area dependant

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Our refurbished Aldi opened without a bakery. New store basically has a extra isle.
    It's also designed in a way that you've to do more walking around in my opinion of your only in to pick up a few bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Our refurbished Aldi opened without a bakery. New store basically has a extra isle.
    It's also designed in a way that you've to do more walking around in my opinion of your only in to pick up a few bits.

That's the idea. I'm sure at some stage you'll be tempted to drop a couple of lawnmowers into your basket with the milk and cheese.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Carlos Flatbread from the freezer is really good. I bought a few of the rocket & grana padano ones at the weekend, threw some roasted veg and feta on top before cooking them and served them as part of a buffet. People raved :)

There's also a chicken & mango one and a calabrese salami one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Anyone else tried this wine? I think its delicious!
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/animus-douro-doc/p/075724148674700 - think its about €7.50 in Ireland (bloody tax man).
    Also just bought their special buy sparkling shiraz. Friends who spent time in Australia rave about the stuff but its very hard to get here and if you can get it, about €30 a bottle. Happy to try this for €12.95!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

SozBbz wrote: »
    Anyone else tried this wine? I think its delicious!
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/animus-douro-doc/p/075724148674700 - think its about €7.50 in Ireland (bloody tax man).
    Also just bought their special buy sparkling shiraz. Friends who spent time in Australia rave about the stuff but its very hard to get here and if you can get it, about €30 a bottle. Happy to try this for €12.95!
    Is that wine avl in Ireland at the moment?

They had a Ribero del Duero a good while back (think it makes occasional appearances) that came highly critically recommended and was lovely. This is a Portuguese variation.

I'd be interested in giving it a go at that price!

Pretty sure I saw it there the other day, bought a few bottles a few weeks ago and havnt been drinking as much red over the summer so havent needed to rebuy.
    I've given it to a few friends/family to try and they've all been impressed, especially when I told them where i got it and how much for! I tend to like wines from the Douro anyway but didnt really expect to find any in Aldi!

Just to report, that Duoro is indeed on the shelves at the moment - €7.69. Bought a couple of bottles to try, suspect I'll enjoy it!

Also bought a couple of Verdejo whites, that's usually a nice wine and I don't usually switch back to red until the fire gets lit, not much hope of that for the moment!!!

Against all my better judgement I got a tub of the hummus with pesto and pine nuts today after all the raving about it - and I have to say, it's not bad. A bit.... weird, but not at all unpleasant. I much prefer a straight, really garlicky lemony hummus, but that's a nice variant for a change.

I'm off now to email Aldi to plead with them to bring back the chilli con carne sauce.... anyone want to join in the campaign?

@HeidiHeidi - do you happen to have the name of that white you mentioned? I too am struggling to want red wine at the moment, but am not a hugely experienced white wine buyer so I'd love a recommendation!

SozBbz wrote: »
    @HeidiHeidi - do you happen to have the name of that white you mentioned? I too am struggling to want red wine at the moment, but am not a hugely experienced white wine buyer so I'd love a recommendation!

Haven't tried it yet! So won't recommend it just yet, but verdejo is a wine i usually like.

Can't find an image of it, but it's a green bottle with white writing "painted" on it (as opposed to a label)

I'll report back after I've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RasTa wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of ready meals. But the Mushroom risotto was very good, nice taste of wine from it.

Anyone know where this mushroom risotto is? Had a look in the ready meal sections in the fridges but had no luck finding it.

Was in one of the new extended Aldis earlier and their product range overall seems to have extended to fill up the new shelf space. Pity there isnt a list of additions on their website. Noticed that they now have fresh frozen herbs and spices like coriander and chopped ginger in small resealable tins in the freezers.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know where this mushroom risotto is? Had a look in the ready meal sections in the fridges but had no luck finding it.

Was in one of the new extended Aldis earlier and their product range overall seems to have extended to fill up the new shelf space. Pity there isnt a list of additions on their website. Noticed that they now have fresh frozen herbs and spices like coriander and chopped ginger in small resealable tins in the freezers.

Just out of interest what did you notice was New?
    Our local one was extended and nobody can see anything new that I was talking to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

My Aldi had these in today. Bought two as I LOVE jerky.
    I now have 0 left as I couldn't stop myself after the first :(
    Bit pricy at 1.99 for a small snack though.

71Lr3UDsD-L._SX385_.jpg

I think the jerky pops up every now and again!

Haven't tried it yet! So won't recommend it just yet, but verdejo is a wine i usually like.

Can't find an image of it, but it's a green bottle with white writing "painted" on it (as opposed to a label)

I'll report back after I've tried it.
    And, the Verdejo is very nice indeed.

Nothing outstanding, quite dry, but for 7 quid it's a steal.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/the-wine-foundry-verdejo/p/083813229098400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I think the jerky pops up every now and again!

It does indeed, but first time I've wee a wagyu version. Really like the Gourmet Moo yogurts, fudge, passion fruit & raspberry. It's a copycat version of some Co-operative yogurt. Really big pot for 1.29 I think it is & it's amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They have "craft cider" at the moment. 99c for a 330ml can. I can't remember the name but they do a vintage and a hop cider. Picked up a can of the vintage today to try and was delighted at just how apple-y it tasted. It wasn't overly sweet like bulmers or orchard but had a real fresh apple taste. Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    Twisted Tree.
    The vintage is lovely. Strong as well @ 7.4% but it doesn't feel it. Great value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Noticed that they now have fresh frozen herbs and spices like coriander and chopped ginger in small resealable tins in the freezers.
    They've had those herbs, garlic and ginger in the freezer for a couple of years now - the best invention ever!!

chuckles30 wrote: »
    They've had those herbs, garlic and ginger in the freezer for a couple of years now - the best invention ever!!

I sometimes considered getting the garlic but found the box very pungent would they tanet other things in the freezer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I sometimes considered getting the garlic but found the box very pungent would they talent other things in the freezer?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    I got the small squeezy tubes of Stonemills garlic and ginger (think there was another as well), I thought they were handy for a lazy stir fry/curry. They had disappeared the next time I went for them. That's the annoying thing about Aldi and Lidl, anything bar the absolute basics can't be relied upon being stocked.

I do find some things go from Lidl/Aldi.
    Were these a permanent thing or just a special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get big jars of garlic or ginger paste in asian supermarkets, or a mixture of the 2 in 1 jar.

I have a mini ice cube tray and use to to freeze stuff like this, the tray gets tainted so you would have flavoured ice for drinks, so its just a dedicated tray for sauces. If you cannot get a mini tray then get a regular tray and just fill with the amounts you need. I then pop out my cubes and put them in glass jars, to minimise smell and freezer burn.

Most people have an old tray lying about that they do not use.

Advertisement