Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

The quality of the fruit in the super 6 is very hot & miss, ended up binning most of the apricots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

These were actually very tasty, didn't look anything like the picture but a nice snack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

See there’s a new section in the chilled cabinet for artisan food suppliers. Some odd sausage flavours and an expensive humous amongst others. Anyone tried anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

No but seen some of that artisan stuff at the end of an aisle today. Line caught tuna, relishes, brownie/brown bread mix, hot sauce, all Irish suppliers.
    And the small tins of flavoured tuna are gone. I'm distraught!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

See there’s a new section in the chilled cabinet for artisan food suppliers. Some odd sausage flavours and an expensive humous amongst others. Anyone tried anything yet?

I love this oddball cabinet type stuff. Supervalue do a great range and I spend ages here. Must have a nosey in Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I bought the vegetarian white pudding from that fridge today. I haven't tried it yet but I intend to have it on toast with fried tomatoes firmly brekkie. Will report back.
    They had some sheeps milk yoghurt there too. Might be interesting. And several types of pate.

I bought a 4pck of London iced tea. It's lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Whispered wrote: »
    I bought the vegetarian white pudding from that fridge today. I haven't tried it yet but I intend to have it on toast with fried tomatoes firmly brekkie. Will report back.............

Look forward to your report, Since going vegetarian I've been looking for a decent white pudding for the Sunday morning fry up. The Quorn sausages in Aldi (Lincolnshire style) are much nicer than the standard Quorn variety in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

€2.99 for what looks like less than 100g of roast sliced chicken :eek:

Thank you ALDI but I’ll go buy a 1.6kg for 4 quid and roast it myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No but seen some of that artisan stuff at the end of an aisle today. Line caught tuna, relishes, brownie/brown bread mix, hot sauce, all Irish suppliers.

No tuna in Aldi for ages now, I don't know if it's just Aldi Bray or everywhere but they're restocking has been seriously patchy lately, there's always something missing when I go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

vicwatson wrote: »
    €2.99 for what looks like less than 100g of roast sliced chicken :eek:

Thank you ALDI but I’ll go buy a 1.6kg for 4 quid and roast it myself !

A chicken for 4 euro is mental though. How do you think that chicken was raised? You're better to spend money and ensure you are getting an ethically raised animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

likewise!! I really loved them, spiced up my lunch no end and very tasty
    Thargor wrote: »
    No tuna in Aldi for ages now, I don't know if it's just Aldi Bray or everywhere but they're restocking has been seriously patchy lately, there's always something missing when I go in.

I've tried several Aldi's for them and the shelves have been empty with only regular tuna cans. Few people hovering round in the various ones scratching their heads too, so they must have been popular

Not a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Im delighted they have started stocking lullaby milk in the new section. I have been looking for it in my area for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

A chicken for 4 euro is mental though. How do you think that chicken was raised? You're better to spend money and ensure you are getting an ethically raised animal.

And paying 2.99 for 100g of sliced roasted chicken is to make one feel better?

At least the whole chicken is Irish, cooked sliced could be from anywhere really.

Hey get off your high horse there ;)

How do you know how the 2.99 chicken slices was raised?

If you’ve a family to feed I don’t care about how it’s raised as I’m price sensitive.

Next you’ll be wanting me to spend €20 for a free range chicken or the likes, no
    Siree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Im wary of meat that is too cheap. €4 for a whole chicken is suspicious to me. Also be careful of labling, as I think there are workarounds that the industry use to be able to label things as irish when they're actually from elsewhere. Like once a certain % of the processing was done here, then its Irish.
    Anyway, I do buy meat from Aldi but I tend to go for their higher end Organic/Specially Selected range. I don't eat a huge amount of meat but what I do buy, I like to be lean and good quality. I find their 5% organic lean mince to be very good and I think its about €3.70 per pack, which because of how much veg I use, makes 5/6 portions of bolognese/chilli or whatever sauce I'm making.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,703 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SozBbz wrote: »
    Im wary of meat that is too cheap. €4 for a whole chicken is suspicious to me. Also be careful of labling, as I think there are workarounds that the industry use to be able to label things as irish when they're actually from elsewhere. Like once a certain % of the processing was done here, then its Irish.

https://www.aldi.ie/love-ireland/poultry

_All of our fresh poultry is sourced from Bord Bia Quality Assured Farms_

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anyway, I do buy meat from Aldi but I tend to go for their higher end Organic/Specially Selected range. I don't eat a huge amount of meat but what I do buy, I like to be lean and good quality. I find their 5% organic lean mince to be very good and I think its about €3.70 per pack, which because of how much veg I use, makes 5/6 portions of bolognese/chilli or whatever sauce I'm making.

Not in Aldi, any of their fresh meat/poultry I've seen has the Bord Bia mark on it, which means it's definitely Irish.

A whole fresh chicken labeled Irish is Irish. Simples. You must be referring to breaded chicken etc

odyssey06 wrote: »

https://www.aldi.ie/love-ireland/poultry

_All of our fresh poultry is sourced from Bord Bia Quality Assured Farms_
    I wasn't talking about aldi, I'm suspicious of a chicken for €4 from anywhere. They'd have to be battery farmed at that price, which I'm happy to pay a premium to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I wasn't talking about aldi, I'm suspicious of a chicken for €4 from anywhere. They'd have to be battery farmed at that price, which I'm happy to pay a premium to avoid.

I think they were referring to your comment on the labelling. As in, it's Irish if it has the Bord Bia quality mark on it, which all Aldis fresh meat does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

If you're not buying something certified as "free range" or "organic", chances very much are it's indeed battery farmed. Whether you're paying Aldi prices or M&S ones.

leahyl wrote: »

I think they were referring to your comment on the labelling. As in, it's Irish if it has the Bord Bia quality mark on it, which all Aldis fresh meat does.
    Yeah I know that, but I didnt say Aldi. I said cheap meat, and I don't discriminate between cheap meat one from anywhere specifically, and its not a dig at Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Aldo do actually have slow grown full chickens, though as I only seen it in someone else's trolley, i don't know the cost!

alaimacerc wrote: »

If you're not buying something certified as "free range" or "organic", chances very much are it's indeed battery farmed.  Whether you're paying Aldi prices or M&S ones.
    I know that, I go by the label, not just the price. A high price doesn't mean that something is not battery farmed, but a low price means it almost certainly is because and organic, freerange producer couldnt sell a chicken at €4 RRP and make a livnig.
    Don't get me started on M&S prices!

I know that, I go by the label, not just the price. A high price doesn't mean that something is not battery farmed, but a low price means it almost certainly is because and organic, freerange producer couldnt sell a chicken at €4 RRP and make a livnig.

If a producer is organic or free range, they'd be mad not get it certified as such. So, unless you're going to get into conspiracy theories about products being mislabelled one way or another, I'd recommend going entirely by the certified welfare standard and country of origin -- or lack thereof -- and not the price to any extent at all.

If you're paying more for a chicken with no certification, don't assume it must somehow be a better class of battery chicken. A far more likely hypothesis is you're just paying a premium to your retailer or processor.

Aldo do actually have slow grown full chickens, though as I only seen it in someone else's trolley, i don't know the cost!
    Thats what I like about aldi, they do sell the type of thing I want to buy (not too familiar with their chicken, as I actually never buy whole chickens) but for mince as I mentioned earlier, they have many grades available, and their prices for their highest quality items are very good when compaired like for like elsewhere. 
    I always buy 5% mince because I hate fatty meat. I buy Aldis most expensive (5% organic) and its still about 1/3rd  of the price you'd pay for the same in M&S. You can probably get mince for half of what I pay in aldi if you're willing to go for a higher fat content, so they really cater for all tastes and budgets.
    I only buy specific items in M&S, but their prices for meat/fish seem wholly unjustified, not to mention they sell a lot of stuff here thats brought in from the UK. We have no need to be importing meat in this country.

alaimacerc wrote: »

If a producer is organic or free range, they'd be mad not get it certified as such.  So, unless you're going to get into conspiracy theories about products being mislabelled one way or another, I'd recommend going entirely by the certified welfare standard and country of origin -- or lack thereof -- and not the price to any extent at all.

If you're paying more for a chicken with no certification, don't assume it must somehow be a better class of battery chicken.  A far more likely hypothesis is you're just paying a premium to your retailer or processor.
    Did you read my post? I said I go by the label, not the price. 
    Price is only indicative of things not being organic/freerange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hey get off your high horse there ;)

How do you know how the 2.99 chicken slices was raised?

If you’ve a family to feed I don’t care about how it’s raised as I’m price sensitive.

Next you’ll be wanting me to spend €20 for a free range chicken or the likes, no
    Siree

Well if you're happy to feed your family food that is pumped full of antibiotics and raised in horrendous battery conditions that's your perogative I suppose.

I prefer to ensure my family eats well and eats ethically. A few euro extra for a nutritious and well raised animal is a small price to pay for looking after ones family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Well if you're happy to feed your family food that is pumped full of antibiotics and raised in horrendous battery conditions that's your perogative I suppose.

I prefer to ensure my family eats well and eats ethically. A few euro extra for a nutritious and well raised animal is a small price to pay for looking after ones family.

Does the publically displayed sense of moral superiority improve the flavour?

• Advertisement

Did you read my post? I said I go by the label, not the price. 
    Price is only indicative of things not being organic/freerange.

Did you read your post? You said not just the price. Right after another post in which you precisely described... going by the price. If it's not labelled organic or free range, it's wildly unlikely it's organic or free range, even if you're paying somewhat more than for some other battery farmed product. (Unless the farmer's selling it to do you out the back of his van with a nod and a wink.)

Recall the context for this is prepacked cooked chicken, vs roasting one yourself. In that case the price premium is for the processing, not for the quality or welfare standard. (Or for both, if it's labelled thusly.)

Advertisement