Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

B0jangles wrote: »
    Does the publically displayed sense of moral superiority improve the flavour?

:confused:

I would have thought it was normal to want to feed your family with quality food. Its the most important thing you can give your children outside a good education and moral compass.

If people are happy enough to feed their kids chicken slurry nuggets and Billy roll sandwiches to save themselves a few euro that's their perogative but it's certainly not something I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

vicwatson wrote: »
    Next you’ll be wanting me to spend €20 for a free range chicken or the likes, no
    Siree

There's a obviously a price premium for free range (and a larger one for organic), but let's not be getting too hyperbolic. In a Certain Other Supermarket with a searchable website you can get a small whole chicken for under a fiver.

(Not going to drop a link, else the yells of "shill!" will be deafening, and I'd compare with Aldi's own if I could get the price without budging off m'arse.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I would have thought it was normal to want to feed your family with quality food. Its the most important thing you can give your children outside a good education and moral compass.

If people are happy enough to feed their kids chicken slurry nuggets and Billy roll sandwiches to save themselves a few euro that's their perogative but it's certainly not something I would do.
    Good for you.

Not everyone can afford to spend extra to buy organic, sometimes people are just happy to be able to keep their kids fed.

btw, there is a bit of a gulf between buying all-organic and living on 'chicken slurry nuggets and billy roll sandwiches'; I would have thought a food expert like yourself would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

alaimacerc wrote: »
    SozBbz wrote: »
    Did you read my post? I said I go by the label, not the price. 
    Price is only indicative of things not being organic/freerange.

Did you read your post?  You said not just the price.  Right after another post in which you precisely described...  going by the price.  If it's not labelled organic or free range, it's wildly unlikely it's organic or free range, even if you're paying somewhat more than for some other battery farmed product.  (Unless the farmer's selling it to do you out the back of his van with a nod and a wink.)

Recall the context for this is prepacked cooked chicken, vs roasting one yourself.  In that case the price premium is for the processing, not for the quality or welfare standard.  (Or for both, if it's labelled thusly.)
    Again, not what I said.
    The price is indicative that a product is likely not what I want, ie if its too cheap thats a red flag. Nowhere did I say that I think a high price means anything other than a high price. I expressly said that I go by labels when looking for organic/freerange. 
    Another poster actually brought the welfare issue into the conversation, which I think is valid when considering what to buy. We're not limited to only talking about the first issue raised. 
    Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Can we keep this thread to Aldi recommendations and not pointless internet sniping over an issue that will change no one's mind please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I hear ALDI have a special on moral compasses next week.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭xlogo

Unfortunately some have to do it to pay for their kids education.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I hear ALDI have a special on moral compasses next week.

They're so cheap though, must be made in sweatshops.

xlogo wrote: »

Unfortunately some have to do it to pay for their kids education.
    I don't know about this though - I think Irish people eat an awful lot of meat these days in comparison to what would have been the norm 30/40/50 years ago. People then think the only alternative to organic/freerange meat is cheap meat, when in fact you could buy good quality and just use less is cost is a concern.
    Aldi (and other supermarkets) sell lots of healthy and inexpensive food, like say lentils for example. They can be used to bulk out sauces or even make lentil dishes like dahl for example.
    I think the real problem is not that healthy food is affordable, rather that people either don't want to/don't know how to cook meals that are easy, cheap, healthy and quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Aldi slave chicken isn't great. Best chicken I've found is the SV corn fed ones, usually two for a tenner. 1.2kg

• Advertisement

I don't know about this though - I think Irish people eat an awful lot of meat these days in comparison to what would have been the norm 30/40/50 years ago. People then think the only alternative to organic/freerange meat is cheap meat, when in fact you could buy good quality and just use less is cost is a concern.
    Aldi (and other supermarkets) sell lots of healthy and inexpensive food, like say lentils for example. They can be used to bulk out sauces or even make lentil dishes like dahl for example.
    I think the real problem is not that healthy food is affordable, rather that people either don't want to/don't know how to cook meals that are easy, cheap, healthy and quick.

I find, since I started shopping in Aldi, I'm saving enough on everything else that I can afford to go and buy my meat from the butchers. I wouldn't eat meat 7 days a week though and I plan the meals so that one cut of meat would do two days or leave leftovers for lunch etc.

That said, I'm yet to find a burger tastier than their 5% fat ones in any butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ok, back to the recommendations, everyone.
    The judgementalness on all sides stops now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just a follow on to Shenshen’s post, but I think there’s a really interesting discussion to be had around meat prices and ethics, so do feel free to start a new thread on it. If anyone wants me to move the posts out of this thread into a new one, just shout.

I find, since I started shopping in Aldi, I'm saving enough on everything else that I can afford to go and buy my meat from the butchers. I wouldn't eat meat 7 days a week though and I plan the meals so that one cut of meat would do two days or leave leftovers for lunch etc.

That said, I'm yet to find a burger tastier than their 5% fat ones in any butchers.
    Agree completely!
    Their 5% burgers are delicious, I'm probably buying them weekly at this stage. They've very handy for us on nights when we've both been to the gym and need a quick, easy dinner. If I'm not mistaken they're €2.39 or thereabouts. 
    My OH originally groaned when he saw them, clocking the "leaner option" sticker but he now thinks they're really brilliant - nice and juicy which is great when they're so lean.
    I'd say I go to Aldi about once a week and Tesco the same. There are some things I'd only buy in Aldi now and thats shifted significantly over the years.
    -Chorizo Ring (SS) - half the price of similar quality elsewhere
    -0% Fat greek yoghurt - to be fair the Lidl version is also good and both much cheaper than fage
    -5% lean organic mince
    -Single origin ground coffee -I especially like the one thats level 4 in strenght, forget what country it comes from.
    -Frozen raspberries - just as good as elsewhere and cheaper.
    -Hummus - I don't eat it personally but my OH swears that Aldis classic hummus is the nicest around
    -€1 desert pots (SS) The double chocolate is unreal if you want something small and a choclate hit
    -Red pepper and jalapeno relish (SS) Think this is about €1.50 and is really good with the burger above!
    -Frozen Raw Tiger Prawns (SS) €2.95 and very handy for the freezer - brilliant for stirfries.
    -Mature Chedar Cheese (SS) €1.69 and its the only other cheese that my OH will accept other than Kilmeaden which is €3 for a smaller pack in most supermarkets.

Theres probably loads more that I'm forgetting but those are definitely some of the things that I buy again and again, and actually prefer to get in Aldi even if the prices were equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Look forward to your report, Since going vegetarian I've been looking for a decent white pudding for the Sunday morning fry up. The Quorn sausages in Aldi (Lincolnshire style) are much nicer than the standard Quorn variety in Tesco.

Very tasty. I dunno how similar it is to pork pudding but my husband said it's surprisingly nice too.

On toast with real butter and fried tomatoes mashed in. Delicious.

Agree completely!
    Their 5% burgers are delicious, I'm probably buying them weekly at this stage. They've very handy for us on nights when we've both been to the gym and need a quick, easy dinner. If I'm not mistaken they're €2.39 or thereabouts. 
    My OH originally groaned when he saw them, clocking the "leaner option" sticker but he now thinks they're really brilliant - nice and juicy which is great when they're so lean.

I picked them up by accident the first time I got them. I'd tried one of the other burgers and they were alright and I was buying more but the 5% ones must have been mixed in with them and I didn't realise until I got them home. A bit like your OH I thought they'd be rubbish but they taste so good. The fact they're so lean is purely a bonus.

Few bits to add to my earlier list;
    - Striploin Steaks (SS) - big and great value but probably only buy every few weeks. Think they're about €9 for a pack of 2.
    -Salt and Pepper Grinders - €1 each
    -Green Pesto (SS) 
    -Salt and Pepper crackers (SS) - cant remember how much but easily half the price of brand name versions and much nicer IMO
    The following are things that I like but wouldnt be regular purchases (otherwise I wouldnt fit through the door)
    Manchego cheese
    Brie cheese
    Sticky Toffee pudding (SS) - goes in the oven for 25 minutes and is so delicious with good vanilla icecream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

- Striploin Steaks (SS) - big and great value but probably only buy every few weeks. Think they're about €9 for a pack of 2.
    -Green Pesto (SS) 
    -Salt and Pepper crackers (SS) - cant remember how much but easily half the price of brand name versions and much nicer IMO
    The following are things that I like but wouldnt be regular purchases (otherwise I wouldnt fit through the door)
    Manchego cheese
    Brie cheese
    Sticky Toffee pudding (SS) - goes in the oven for 25 minutes and is so delicious with good vanilla icecream.

Probably silly question, what does SS stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well if you're happy to feed your family food that is pumped full of antibiotics and raised in horrendous battery conditions that's your perogative I suppose.

I prefer to ensure my family eats well and eats ethically. A few euro extra for a nutritious and well raised animal is a small price to pay for looking after ones family.

It sure is, and they are of course bord bia approved safe to eat - conspiracy theories in another forum !

My family eat well, very well infact but am not willing to fork out 2.99 for 100g of sliced chicken when I can buy a whole chicken, 16 times heavier for 1 euro more.

Well done you on rearing your family better than me, you must be richer in both ethics and cash. Congratulations ;)

UsedToWait wrote: »
    -Green Pesto (SS) 
    Manchego cheese
    Brie cheese

Specially Selected - its the premium range from Aldi, like Tesco Finest or SuperValue Signature Taste etc.

• Advertisement

Sorry mods on my post, I only read back a couple of pages since posting, no more ethics or lack of from me !!:D

The white finger rolls are great and are 8 for the price of 6 this week, for I think 49c, great for hot dogs ! there are also 12 handtied sausages for the price of 9 which go with the white finger rolls.

I think it means "Specially Selected", i.e. Aldi's "products with notions of themselves" line. A la the "Finest" and "Simply Better" offerings of certain other stores.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I think it means "Specially Selected", i.e. Aldi's "products with notions of themselves" line.  A la the "Finest" and "Simply Better" offerings of certain other stores.
    I think SS stuff from Aldi is typically very good and price wise its still often cheaper than regular products elsewhere. I think for some things its worth spending the few cents extra to get a higher quality item. 
    Like for example their fresh pizzas. The ones from the SS range are on nicer looking bases and have more unusual toppings, so I think they're easily worth it. 
    But then again maybe I just have notions ;)

I think SS stuff from Aldi is typically very good and price wise its still often cheaper than regular products elsewhere. I think for some things its worth spending the few cents extra to get a higher quality item. 
    Like for example their fresh pizzas. The ones from the SS range are on nicer looking bases and have more unusual toppings, so I think they're easily worth it. 
    But then again maybe I just have notions ;)

We're all entitled to the odd notions of ourselves! :D

I was just describing the marketing shtick of these multiple different "lines" and "price points" the supermarkets do, in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner. (At one point, T*sc* had four different lines of died pasta -- not counting third-party brands, and any actually discernibly different kinds. I strongly suspect that was dreamt up in Marketing, not in Product Development or in Quality Control.) Obviously some things are going to have a discernible difference, others... not so much.

I can't recall if it's branded as "Specially Selected", as I've none in the press at the minute, but I buy their somewhat-dearer green pesto line over their slightly cheaper one. There's a pretty clear difference in the respective recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

vicwatson wrote: »
    The white finger rolls are great and are 8 for the price of 6 this week, for I think 49c, great for hot dogs ! there are also 12 handtied sausages for the price of 9 which go with the white finger rolls.

The Ballymore sandwich thins are great as well - the nicest sandwich thins around imo. I wonder who makes their prepacked white bread products?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's a German supermarket?

So Suchtmittel Supermarkt? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^^^^

SS ????

Probably blindingly obvious but I'm just after a general anaesthetic and I'm struggling with it. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Aldis ‘spirals’ kinder bueno substitutes are quite good. The Colombian coffee only 1.99 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^ already answered, cheers. Re SS

Also Aldi free range chickens are normally:about €5. I get them because I prefer the slightly tougher* meat.

* I don't actually mean tougher per se, just can't think of a better description atm.

Advertisement