Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Im delighted they have started stocking lullaby milk in the new section. I have been looking for it in my area for months now.

I saw somewhere that Aldi/Lidl are going to have certain new Irish products in stock in the coming weeks. I saw it Today in Aldi.
    They also had some kind of
    Slices of Roast Pork.
    Baked Potatoes.
    Hegarthys Garden Herb Roast Bacon,
    Kinsale Salmon Pate and another fish.
    Ballyvourney Black and White pudding.
    A vegetation white pudding might have being the one with the seaweed.
    Also think they have a roast duck thing.
    And a few other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The Ballymore sandwich thins are great as well - the nicest sandwich thins around imo. I wonder who makes their prepacked white bread products?

Think some are made in roscrea open to correct though

Stapletons is one of Aldi's suppliers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Kat1170 wrote:
    * I don't actually mean tougher per se, just can't think of a better description atm.

I know what you mean, not tough but sort of a hard chewy texture. We didn't like the whole chickens from Aldi especially compared to the M&S ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Ballymore sandwich thins are great as well - the nicest sandwich thins around imo. I wonder who makes their prepacked white bread products?

Maybe Irwins up north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They have many suppliers. Some products are marked as produced in NI.

If you look at bakeries website they would list who they supply, but rarely say which products.

Similarly supermarkets don't really list who is doing what for them, understandably from business point of view.

I remember a few years ago Aldi was at the ploughing with various suppliers showing off what they were producing for them.
    Can't fully remember who was their now but things switch around with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

All types of mcgraths tea back in stock
    Reserve blend repackaged as fairtadre reserve

km79 wrote: »
    All types of mcgraths tea back in stock
    Reserve blend repackaged as fairtadre reserve

Does it taste the same tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is Ballymore bread etc not JMaOB ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Is Ballymore bread etc not JMaOB ?

It comes from many suppliers. Ballymore is Aldi own brand made by other suppliers.

I just noticed Aldi slightly changed their logo over a year ago!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They have thai red and green curry kits at the moment. Both are lovely. They need a bit of extra seasoning, and it says serves 2-3 but it's definitely only enough for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Faith wrote: »
    They have thai red and green curry kits at the moment. Both are lovely. They need a bit of extra seasoning, and it says serves 2-3 but it's definitely only enough for 2.

Whereabouts do they live in the shop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I just noticed Aldi slightly changed their logo over a year ago!

I never noticed at all :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

anewme wrote: »
    Whereabouts do they live in the shop?

In mine, they were at the end of the aisle where the pasta and rice live, roughly next to the coconut milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Whispered wrote: »
    Very tasty. I dunno how similar it is to pork pudding but my husband said it's surprisingly nice too.

On toast with real butter and fried tomatoes mashed in. Delicious.

Picked one up last night on the way home. I expected it to be branded as "Brannan's" or other own brand but turns out it's Kelly's of Newport. Based on this it's easy to see why they've won awards, it's excellent. Had it with sauté potatoes and mushrooms this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Where do the source the free range chicken

Picked one up last night on the way home. I expected it to be branded as "Brannan's" or other own brand but turns out it's Kelly's of Newport. Based on this it's easy to see why they've won awards, it's excellent. Had it with sauté potatoes and mushrooms this morning.

Ohhh I'm away to try and get some of this. Last. night I made a lovely potato onion hash topped with a poached egg. The previous time I'd had it, it had black pudding, which I can't have now as I'm vegitarian. This might work!!

Got one of the vegi puddings and I'm cooking some of it now.

Picked up the red and green thai packs for the store cupboard.

They also had Goan and Kerala curry kits as well as Jaiabese katsu all from the same brand.

Anyone try any of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I had the Goan. Really good for a kit. I'm not usually a big fan of home made curries, I think they're never as nice as restaurant ones, but I enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Whispered wrote: »
    I had the Goan. Really good for a kit. I'm not usually a big fan of home made curries, I think they're never as nice as restaurant ones, but I enjoyed it!

Had the Thai green a few weeks ago and it was terrible very delicate and not much flavour. Much better using Mae ploy paste and a tin of coconut milk. The aldi red and green jars of paste aren't as good but still make a passable curry.

Might still give the Goan and the other kits a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Completely agree on the comments on the Ballymore sandwich thins & the white ones make lovely garlic bread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I expected it to be branded as "Brannan's" [...]

Is that their line of loaves?

"Tomorrow's bread tomorrow!"

I'm officially addicted to their "McGrath's Gold Blend" tea, but have to say the packaging is getting hilariously similar to Barry's...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The McGraths Fairtrade Reserve (black box) now appears to be sourced through Bewleys, at least going by it's Fairtrade ID code & it has "packed in Ireland" label. Price is €1.39 for 80 tea bags.

The tea comes from Kenya so would expect similarities to this:
    https://www.bewleys.com/ie/shop/product-category/tea/bewleya%C2%80%C2%99s-special-blend-fairtrade-tea-80s/

TBD the all important taste test...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The McGraths Fairtrade Reserve (black box) now appears to be sourced through Bewleys, at least going by it's Fairtrade ID code & it has "packed in Ireland" label. Price is €1.39 for 80 tea bags.

Wasn't it recently the same price as the red box one? Then again, my local one seems to have their prices in a bit of a fizzy. Got charged something other than the labelled price last two times I bought something!

Is it also a different blend? Wasn't that taken with it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Is that their line of loaves?

"Tomorrow's bread tomorrow!"

I'm officially addicted to their "McGrath's Gold Blend" tea, but have to say the packaging is getting hilariously similar to Barry's...

LOL "Brannan's" is their meat line, "Tomorrow's pork today" would mean they started selling pigs. That said, it's probably only a matter of time before we see livestock as a one day special.

Generally buy the McGrath's Gold Label tea but that's just because the other half likes it. When it comes to tea I'm a complete philistine, it all pretty much tastes the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Wasn't it recently the same price as the red box one? Then again, my local one seems to have their prices in a bit of a fizzy. Got charged something other than the labelled price last two times I bought something!
    Is it also a different blend? Wasn't that taken with it before.

Yes it's a different lighter style, it's ok, lacking a bit of flavour so I preferred the more robust previous blend. Must give the other 'new' McGraths a shot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Generally buy the McGrath's Gold Label tea but that's just because the other half likes it. When it comes to tea I'm a complete philistine, it all pretty much tastes the same to me.

I think the red-box "Gold" one is great. Tried the black-box one thinking it'd be even better... was highly disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Had their Specially Selected Sweet Potato Fries from the freezer section, very nice.

They finally have Seafood Chowder back in my local store, hasnt been a Seafood Chowder in stock in ages.
    Anyway it is a different brand of Chowder and not great, the old version they used to have was much nicer.

Also, havent seen tins of tuna in brine or spring water in well over a month, not sure whats going on:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement