Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

I had the vegetarian white pudding tonight. Fried with mushrooms and an egg,it was lovely. I'll be stocking up tomorrow in case it disappears soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had the vegetarian white pudding tonight. Fried with mushrooms and an egg,it was lovely. I'll be stocking up tomorrow in case it disappears soon.

I'm unsure if this Irish range is a pernement fixture or a special buy.
    I know Lidl has done similar in the past and it's just a weekly special buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The McGraths Fairtrade Reserve (black box) now appears to be sourced through Bewleys, at least going by it's Fairtrade ID code & it has "packed in Ireland" label. Price is €1.39 for 80 tea bags.

The tea comes from Kenya so would expect similarities to this:
    https://www.bewleys.com/ie/shop/product-category/tea/bewleya%C2%80%C2%99s-special-blend-fairtrade-tea-80s/

TBD the all important taste test...

Awful undrinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mean gene wrote: »
    Awful undrinkable

Is it better than the one they replaced it with? Cambridge’s or something

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The vegetarian white pudding is very nice.
    Was concerned that it would be mushy but it is a wasn't - some of the textures of these veggie products can be awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

regards that mushroom risotto posted recently , anyone able to post a link/pic for me please or describe packaging or whereabouts its being stocked?
    Asked in a couple places and cant seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Had their Specially Selected Sweet Potato Fries from the freezer section, very nice.

They finally have Seafood Chowder back in my local store, hasnt been a Seafood Chowder in stock in ages.
    Anyway it is a different brand of Chowder and not great, the old version they used to have was much nicer.

Also, havent seen tins of tuna in brine or spring water in well over a month, not sure whats going on:confused::confused::confused::confused:

That's disappointing about the chowder. The chowder was really nice. Wonder why they stopped stocking it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That's disappointing about the chowder. The chowder was really nice. Wonder why they stopped stocking it. :(

I think with all supermarkets own brands they sign a contract with a manufacturer for a period of time. When this expires it may be renewed or they may put it out to tender again or look at sales/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think with all supermarkets own brands they sign a contract with a manufacturer for a period of time. When this expires it may be renewed or they may put it out to tender again or look at sales/etc.

It still could be with the same manufacturer, but they may have changed the requirements due to ingredients / costs etc...

Really annoying when it happens if you are very fond of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Two new products to add to my list of aldi favorites;

Cant remember the exact names but...

- Mushroom and truffle ravioli (Specially Selected range)
    - Individual goats cheese and red onion tart (Specially Selected range)

Both from the fridge section at the back of most stores. Super handy for a quick and tasty bite to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I found the Lidl chowder to taste better then Aldi's. Give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Anyone else try the Velvet Cloud sheep's milk yogurt from the Irishy cabinet?
    Fabulous packaging, lovely smooth and thick texture, mild but tangy flavour... aaand the aftertaste of old, overcooked roast lamb. Really revolting.
    I hope I just somehow got a bad tub because it seemed so promising :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

dee_mc wrote: »
    Anyone else try the Velvet Cloud sheep's milk yogurt from the Irishy cabinet?
    Fabulous packaging, lovely smooth and thick texture, mild but tangy flavour... aaand the aftertaste of old, overcooked roast lamb. Really revolting.
    I hope I just somehow got a bad tub because it seemed so promising :(

I bought the chicken liver pate and the potatoes in the tinfoil tray from the new Irish collection last week. The pate was lovely but my God, the potatoes were like stones! Bought two trays of them, did one in the oven for longer than the recommended cooking time and you couldn't put a tooth in them! Did the other in the microwave for much longer than recommended and it was like eating an apple! I even sliced them and re-did them but they still remained as hard as the hobs of hell! Worst buy ever! Back to the drawing board potato people!

I bought the tub of those caramel rice crispies chocolate yokes during a big shop at the weekend (M&S clones). Since I almost ate them all in one sitting I've come to the conclusion that I can never buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

regards that mushroom risotto posted recently , anyone able to post a link/pic for me please or describe packaging or whereabouts its being stocked?
    Asked in a couple places and cant seem to find it

Im keen to know the answer to this too, Ive looked twice now and cant find the mushroom risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I'm a fan of Aldi's Thursday and Sunday special offers but often find the limited stock is gone by the time I get to my local store which is frustrating.

Aldi don't sell online here in Ireland but they do offer their weekly specials for sale online on their UK website (https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys) so if there is something in particular you are looking for you can order it there and have it delivered here via a service like Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard which will typically add circa €4 to the delivered cost but might be worth it if there is something in particular you are looking for.

Returns would be tricky so bear that in mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Hi all,

I'm a fan of Aldi's Thursday and Sunday special offers but often find the limited stock is gone by the time I get to my local store which is frustrating.

Aldi don't sell online here in Ireland but they do offer their weekly specials for sale online on their UK website (https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys) so if there is something in particular you are looking for you can order it there and have it delivered here via a service like Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard which will typically add circa €4 to the delivered cost but might be worth it if there is something in particular you are looking for.

Returns would be tricky so bear that in mind!!

Have you actually had anything delivered to parcel Motel/Wizard from Aldi UK? I tried this before and the address was blocked and they wouldn't allow me order delivery to it for either of those services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

I see that organic proscecco is only stg£7.99 on their uk website.
    It's 15 in my local Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

ellejay wrote: »
    I see that organic proscecco is only stg£7.99 on their uk website.
    It's 15 in my local Aldi.

I don't think Aldi are to blame for that though. It's more down to the massive government tax we pay on alcohol here :mad:
    I was visiting a friend in the UK recently and she had a nice bottle of wine open one evening. It was an Aldi one. She said it was only £3. Had a look for it here when I came home and the same bottle was €9 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Excise taxes definitely the reason for the difference in alcohol pricing

• Advertisement

Kamili wrote: »
    Have you actually had anything delivered to parcel Motel/Wizard from Aldi UK? I tried this before and the address was blocked and they wouldn't allow me order delivery to it for either of those services.

No, I just noticed the UK site sold online and assumed they wouldn't block deliveries to PM or PW. Maybe it's because PM and PW are both in NI. Might be worth trying the An Post's AddressPal service which has an address in St Alban's.

Amazon refuse to ship certain items to NI e.g. Lithium Batteries so for items like that I use AddressPal and it's fine.

I don't think Aldi are to blame for that though. It's more down to the massive government tax we pay on alcohol here :mad:
    I was visiting a friend in the UK recently and she had a nice bottle of wine open one evening. It was an Aldi one. She said it was only £3. Had a look for it here when I came home and the same bottle was €9 here.

Not true I'm afraid. The Irish Govt levy's excise duty of €3.19 per bottle of wine. The UK charges the equivalent of €2.83 a difference of only 36c per bottle, see http://www.fdbusiness.com/ireland-has-highest-excise-duty-on-wine-in-eu/

I actually don't know how Aldi (or anyone) can sell a bottle of wine for less than €8 or €9. Even the cheapest of the cheap will cost them €2 to buy from the producer to which they have to add €3.19 in order to just collect the Govt's duty which equates to €5.19 and I'm buying a nice Cotes du Rhone off them for €6:85 or so. That just about gives them a 25% Gross Margin out of which they have to cover the cost of shipping/transport and all other operating costs (staff + rent etc) which doesn't leave much room for profit. Just as well they run a tight operation!!!

If they are selling wine in the UK for £3 a bottle it must be a loss leader as the excise on the bottle alone is approximately £2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We charge significantly more on sparkling wines and it was prosecco first mentioned. However it's only on spumante not frizante prosecco as the latter isn't sparkling enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Dónal wrote: »
    I bought the tub of those caramel rice crispies chocolate yokes during a big shop at the weekend (M&S clones). Since I almost ate them all in one sitting I've come to the conclusion that I can never buy them again.

I read this quickly and was like "when the feck did Clones get an M&S?"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Not true I'm afraid. The Irish Govt levy's excise duty of €3.19 per bottle of wine. The UK charges the equivalent of €2.83 a difference of only 36c per bottle, see http://www.fdbusiness.com/ireland-has-highest-excise-duty-on-wine-in-eu/

I actually don't know how Aldi (or anyone) can sell a bottle of wine for less than €8 or €9. Even the cheapest of the cheap will cost them €2 to buy from the producer to which they have to add €3.19 in order to just collect the Govt's duty which equates to €5.19 and I'm buying a nice Cotes du Rhone off them for €6:85 or so. That just about gives them a 25% Gross Margin out of which they have to cover the cost of shipping/transport and all other operating costs (staff + rent etc) which doesn't leave much room for profit. Just as well they run a tight operation!!!

Your heart would break for them wouldn't it.

Your heart would break for them wouldn't it.

No, it wouldn't at all but I am very grateful they do what they do. Themselves and Lidl have made the Irish supermarket sector way more competitive since their arrival.

I reckon I save about €250 a month by shopping at Aldi and that pays for our annual family holiday.

Not to be sneezed or sneered at ;)

I bought a bottle today. Will be reporting.

Did I miss your report Cheshire Cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, it wouldn't at all but I am very grateful they do what they do. Themselves and Lidl have made the Irish supermarket sector way more competitive since their arrival.

I reckon I save about €250 a month by shopping at Aldi and that pays for our annual family holiday.

Not to be sneezed or sneered at ;)

Pre Aldi/Lidl arriving you could save a significant amount by shopping in NI/GB. I used to stock up hugely in the Netto in Holyhead on really bog standard basics. Everything here was hugely overpriced and any minor currency movement - in either direction - was used to justify price hikes

Now you can only really make savings on alcohol, general sale medicines and maybe personal care products if on offer. My Tesco shop in Holyhead last week probably has my clubcard on a watch list - €150 of whiskey, plus painkillers and razor blades! Food price inflation is basically gone, although the extremely bad production year we've had this year will bring some back I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Did I miss your report Cheshire Cat?

Oops, sorry! You didn't miss it. I forgot :o

The Aimone was nice. At first a bit underwhelming, but once it had a chance to breath a bit it improved considerably. Went will beef.
    I then went on to test the Cotes du Rhone you also recommended. Definitely a good choice for a "house wine" and good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dunno what's going on with these new trendy shelves the stores have now, but my local one was almost completely bare of food this evening when I nipped in.

Sheep milk yoghurt was there, but no thanks Aldi, however the "Lullaby Milk" has either been pulled or there's supply issues as they're not even listed on the shelf now, all trace of it even being on sale there has gone.

Advertisement