Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Dunno what's going on with these new trendy shelves the stores have now, but my local one was almost completely bare of food this evening when I nipped in.

Sheep milk yoghurt was there, but no thanks Aldi, however the "Lullaby Milk" has either been pulled or there's supply issues as they're not even listed on the shelf now, all trace of it even being on sale there has gone.

I think I read that they were only stocking those products until the end of this week. They had a good few of the products on offer with big discounts in my local store today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Dunno what's going on with these new trendy shelves the stores have now, but my local one was almost completely bare of food this evening when I nipped in.

Sheep milk yoghurt was there, but no thanks Aldi, however the "Lullaby Milk" has either been pulled or there's supply issues as they're not even listed on the shelf now, all trace of it even being on sale there has gone.

Asked about a couple of those products today and was told by the store manager that they were in as specials to try them out, the five most popular will be added to the regular range. He said the two top sellers in Letterkenny were the Lullaby Milk and the vegetarian white pudding. So here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

These were just weekly specials. Lidl have done similar in the past having an Irish week.
    I don't know if they'll add them if they sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Asked about a couple of those products today and was told by the store manager that they were in as specials to try them out, the five most popular will be added to the regular range. He said the two top sellers in Letterkenny were the Lullaby Milk and the vegetarian white pudding. So here's hoping.
    I thought the Herterich's cooked pork leg slices were excellent. Hoping they'll be a regular item too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

They do 2 pork chops with a crust and herb butter, I had the peppercorn crusted ones. They aren't cheap but they're really love, have the proper thickness and it was delicious.
    Will buy them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

After 3 cups, I’m afraid to say the Fairtrade Reserve Tea is not quite hitting the mark of it’s predecessors. Plus you get 80 bags in one go, as opposed to 40 x 2 in sealed bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

L1011 wrote: »
    Pre Aldi/Lidl arriving you could save a significant amount by shopping in NI/GB. I used to stock up hugely in the Netto in Holyhead on really bog standard basics. Everything here was hugely overpriced and any minor currency movement - in either direction - was used to justify price hikes

Now you can only really make savings on alcohol, general sale medicines and maybe personal care products if on offer. My Tesco shop in Holyhead last week probably has my clubcard on a watch list - €150 of whiskey, plus painkillers and razor blades! Food price inflation is basically gone, although the extremely bad production year we've had this year will bring some back I'm sure.

I live about 20 minutes from both Derry and Strabane but it's cheaper to shop locally in Aldi and Lidl. The only time I shop cross border is for a few bottles of branded spirits at Christmas.

I struggle to see how it makes financial sense to drive from Dublin etc to do grocery shopping in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

After 3 cups, I’m afraid to say the Fairtrade Reserve Tea is not quite hitting the mark of it’s predecessors. Plus you get 80 bags in one go, as opposed to 40 x 2 in sealed bags.

Same change with the Gold one. I now have a tea caddy with some very compressed teabags!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Had the 'Specially Selected' Tuscan bacon & lentil soup alongside some of the Mary's soda bread for lunch today. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

What annoys me with with is no mushroom cuua soup or aldi brand toothpaste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Technique wrote: »
    I live about 20 minutes from both Derry and Strabane but it's cheaper to shop locally in Aldi and Lidl. The only time I shop cross border is for a few bottles of branded spirits at Christmas.

I struggle to see how it makes financial sense to drive from Dublin etc to do grocery shopping in NI.

I doubt very much that its worth it, unless you are doing serious bulk buying or going for a large item like maybe a tv or a fridge.

I am sometimes up north with work so if I've time I sometimes pop in to a supermarket. Last week I got a bottle of Aperol for £10 in tesco which was quite good. Kicking myself that I didnt think to find an Aldi up there to buy some good value prosecco to make Aperol Spritz!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SozBbz wrote: »
    I am sometimes up north with work so if I've time I sometimes pop in to a supermarket. Last week I got a bottle of Aperol for £10 in tesco which was quite good. Kicking myself that I didnt think to find an Aldi up there to buy some good value prosecco to make Aperol Spritz!

I think ALDI have a knock-off version of Aperol, it is from Italy, can't really miss the bright red bottle on the shelf and it's 8 euros.

https://www.thesun.ie/money/2312782/aldi-ireland-reveals-own-aperol-half-price-irish-stores/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I Kicking myself that I didnt think to find an Aldi up there to buy some good value prosecco to make Aperol Spritz!

You'll be looking a long time, there isn't an Aldi in NI unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The soulfull food company one pot meals beside the sandwiches. the tomato quinoa and bean stew one is the only one i have tried. Oh my god its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I doubt very much that its worth it, unless you are doing serious bulk buying or going for a large item like maybe a tv or a fridge.

I think I saw this in Dunnes discounted to €15 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I didn't buy it but It looked kind of interesting!

42111753_2097838950249321_8802346047914377216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2fb777b3da80a40dcbc969184908239a&oe=5C6101F4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Apparently they're lovely. Haven't tried them myself but it got a friend excited enough to send me a pic telling me to go buy one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I saw them too, but then I thought about what happens when I buy a bar of the rum raisin chocolate* and I left it on the shelf...

*I eat it with the self-restraint of a Labrador.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Faith wrote: »
    I saw them too, but then I thought about what happens when I buy a bar of the rum raisin chocolate* and I left it on the shelf...

*I eat it with the self-restraint of a Labrador.

Meet your twin..... I’m drooling thinking about what a happy unrestrained Labrador I’d be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I want that chocolate!
    Still, I'll never forgive them for replacing the fruit and nut with the rum, nut and raisin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone notice the vintage cheddar cheese in the black packaging seems to have gone a bit rubbery lately, not its usual crumbly self?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Roen wrote: »
    Anyone notice the vintage cheddar cheese in the black packaging seems to have gone a bit rubbery lately, not its usual crumbly self?

Reports here suggest that this happens periodically.
    Lidl one is very consistent but not Irish

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Most recent one I bought was it's usual amazing self. It actually smelled a bit when I opened the packet, but in a good way.
    As said in another post it does tend to vary in quality from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Reports here suggest that this happens periodically.
    Lidl one is very consistent but not Irish

I found the Lidl one too sweet or something. Was not a fan.

Yes the Aldi one is sometimes more crumbly then others, however the taste is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭sudzs

Most recent one I bought was it's usual amazing self. It actually smelled a bit when I opened the packet, but in a good way.
    As said in another post it does tend to vary in quality from time to time.

I've found the same thing with the Aldi cheese. I wonder if it is to do with what the cows are eating... winter supplemented feed would affect the taste and quality of the milk and so the cheese.

I don't get to buy it very often but I wonder if the rubbery batches are occurring seasonally??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Aldi are selling 'Aperini' which is very similar. It's reduced from 7.99 to 5.99 for a 70cl bottle. Got one today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

The charcoal lacura range is back next week, the cleanser & mud mask are especially good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I bought the salted pretzel bar (and the rum, raisin and nut one... my defenses were down!). I shall report back when I have sampled it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The peanut butter chocolates at the checkout. Oh man. I picked up a bag a couple of weeks ago. Well that was a big mistake because I haven't been able to stop since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

The peanut butter chocolates at the checkout. Oh man. I picked up a bag a couple of weeks ago. Well that was a big mistake because I haven't been able to stop since!

Oh yes, they are indeed delicious! Very addictive!

Advertisement