Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Faith wrote: »
    I bought the salted pretzel bar (and the rum, raisin and nut one... my defenses were down!). I shall report back when I have sampled it!

I found it... alright. The level of saltiness was very good, but I felt there was a bit too much pretzel for my preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh yes, they are indeed delicious! Very addictive!

Are they the Dome chocolates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fussyonion wrote: »
    Are they the Dome chocolates?

Yes. A copy of Reeses, but a bit lighter and not as sickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

sudzs wrote: »
    I've found the same thing with the Aldi cheese. I wonder if it is to do with what the cows are eating... winter supplemented feed would affect the taste and quality of the milk and so the cheese.

I don't get to buy it very often but I wonder if the rubbery batches are occurring seasonally??

Could well be, it’s something you notice with milk as well if you try to froth it for coffee. Certain times of year it’s very difficult to froth, where other times it’s very easy. Apparently due to the feed and therefore make up of the milk changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Picked up the Skinny Thai Carrot Soup the other day, nice for a change and I would buy it again. If you like Thai flavours you should give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Picked up the Skinny Thai Carrot Soup the other day, nice for a change and I would buy it again. If you like Thai flavours you should give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

So good you said it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Anyone get one of the cast iron Le Cruset type pans that came in last Thursday? I was hoping to get the shallow casserole but they were sold out everywhere. Everywhere had the tagines leftover but I wouldn't use that. Was wondering if they were any good for the next time they come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bassfish wrote: »
    Anyone get one of the cast iron Le Cruset type pans that came in last Thursday?
    If looking for cheap cast iron stuff try TK max, I got a nice pan there at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bassfish wrote: »
    Anyone get one of the cast iron Le Cruset type pans that came in last Thursday? I was hoping to get the shallow casserole but they were sold out everywhere. Everywhere had the tagines leftover but I wouldn't use that. Was wondering if they were any good for the next time they come in.

I've had one of the shallow casseroles from Aldi for quite a few years now. It's great and has aged well. I also have original Le Creuset stuff and would say that the main difference is that the Aldi pots are heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Going on sale at Aldi this Christmas!
    Chocolate carousel!
    1_aldi-choco.jpg

Foot long pig in blanket!
    4_Aldi-Giant-Pig-in-Blanket-with-Specially-Selected-Three-Little-Pigs-and-Specially-Selected-Pigs-in-Blanket-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Shinbin223

In the random food section (opposite the eggs in my Aldi) they have Tariq Dhal Lentil Snack Mix in a big bag. They are really tasty and it’s hard to stop at just one handful!

Aldi have discontinued their chiller fridge melt in the middle chocolate pudding.
    Fuming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Aldi have discontinued their chiller fridge melt in the middle chocolate pudding.
    Fuming!

Ah They were lovely!

Have you tried the chocolate baked Alaska, lovely too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Rfrip

ellejay wrote: »
    Ah They were lovely!

Have you tried the chocolate baked Alaska, lovely too!

I’m close to reporting your post for letting me know such a thing exists!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Where is this thing, it sounds divine :eek:

Where is this thing, it sounds divine :eek:

it's frozen in the freezer beside the magnums - Aldi version of magnums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Tried the new (well new to me) natural bars which are with the seeds, etc

Had a coconut and almond one and a hazelnut and cookie dough one

They have no refined sugar so that's what attracted me to try them

The coconut one was lovely but not so much the cookie dough one.

They are quite small but quite filling. The primary sweet element was dates in the coconut one

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Fuming!

This is actually devastating. Those puddings with a bit of whipped double cream were so so good.

This is actually devastating. Those puddings with a bit of whipped double cream were so so good.

I emailed them and got a reply back telling me they were discontinued. Ah yeah! I KNOW that. I want to know WHY!
    They were my Tuesday evening treat for Bake Off. There's just myself and Mr Crumble in the house so these were perfect for two. All the rest of the chiller things (bar the moussees) are big cakes. Not eating half a cake each.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

ellejay wrote: »
    it's frozen in the freezer beside the magnums - Aldi version of magnums.

Couldn’t see any sign of it in Terenure or Long Mike Rd. today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just popped over to Aldi there to get some eggs and some new form of egg I've never heard of was staring at me. Blue eggs! 90p for 6 large free range or £1.45 for medium blue ones.

Went with free range. Anyone had them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

They're just eggs from a different breed of hen. The ones in Aldi probably come from Araucana chickens which are the most commonly found blue layers in Ireland or Britain. They don't taste any different although are alleged to be lower in cholesterol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Wow the Vintage White Cheddar really is lovely, isn't it?

We had fab cheese on toast last night; a mixture of Vintage White Cheddar and Mature Red (Both Aldi), sprinkled with Aldi Worcester sauce on Aldi Soft Batch and grilled for a few mins.

Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

fussyonion wrote: »
    Wow the Vintage White Cheddar really is lovely, isn't it?

We had fab cheese on toast last night; a mixture of Vintage White Cheddar and Mature Red (Both Aldi), sprinkled with Aldi Worcester sauce on Aldi Soft Batch and grilled for a few mins.

Unreal.

Gonna report this post to ASAI for no #sp #af ;);)

Seriously though re the cheese. .. I got it once and it's something I should usually go for but I found the texture odd. But I've since read here that it can have dodgy batches so maybe I should try again. What does it taste like when it's dodgy versus when it's a good one ?

Couldn’t see any sign of it in Terenure or Long Mike Rd. today :(

In my local it sells out really quickly, I'll check this evening, make sure it's not out of production also!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What does it taste like when it's dodgy versus when it's a good one ?

Crumbly when good.
    But rubbery when not so good.

I emailed them and got a reply back telling me they were discontinued. Ah yeah! I KNOW that. I want to know WHY!
    They were my Tuesday evening treat for Bake Off. There's just myself and Mr Crumble in the house so these were perfect for two. All the rest of the chiller things (bar the moussees) are big cakes. Not eating half a cake each.

Ah lads, I'm confused! Was in Aldi this evening and there in some shiny new packaging, what did I spot on only the chocolate puddings!
    But, but Aldi told me they were discontinued??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They've stopped doing dried beans *angry face* Was planning to do a cassoulet for dinner but that plan went out the window when I got there and realised. Spent so long battling through the chronic traffic in Terenure to get there that I wasn't arsed going anywhere else afterwards. Toast for dinner it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I love their Piri Piri seasoning packet (around 88 cents I think), but it looks like they have stopped selling it, certainly in my local store anyways. Seriously bummed out by this :(

Advertisement