Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love their Piri Piri seasoning packet (around 88 cents I think),
    If you still have a packet you could check the ingredients and try and make your own. These packets of spices are often mainly salt and/or flour, and are very expensive for what they are. Ingredients will be listed in order of greatest first by weight.

Also if it has a taste unlike other ones then there may be a standout ingredient that is making all the difference, and you might want to add more of it.

I can see the aldi packet online but not the ingredients. Sometimes they have a huge amount of ingredients listed, but many can be omitted as they are often very similar to others.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Bassfish wrote: »
    Anyone get one of the cast iron Le Cruset type pans that came in last Thursday? I was hoping to get the shallow casserole but they were sold out everywhere. Everywhere had the tagines leftover but I wouldn't use that. Was wondering if they were any good for the next time they come in.

They had a few in the Long Mile rd branch this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

rubadub wrote: »
    If you still have a packet you could check the ingredients and try and make your own. These packets of spices are often mainly salt and/or flour, and are very expensive for what they are. Ingredients will be listed in order of greatest first by weight.

Also if it has a taste unlike other ones then there may be a standout ingredient that is making all the difference, and you might want to add more of it.

I can see the aldi packet online but not the ingredients. Sometimes they have a huge amount of ingredients listed, but many can be omitted as they are often very similar to others.

rubadub, I buy the oyster and spring onion sachet's for stir fry, if I typed out the ingredients, is there any chance you could suggest how I'd make it myself please?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ellejay wrote: »
    rubadub, I buy the oyster and spring onion sachet's for stir fry, if I typed out the ingredients, is there any chance you could suggest how I'd make it myself please?

What You'll Need

• 1/4 cup chicken broth or water 2 tablespoons oyster sauce 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry 1/2 teaspoon sugar Black pepper, to taste 1 teaspoon cornstarch 2 teaspoons water Salt, to taste up to 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

How to Make It
    1. In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth or water, oyster sauce, rice wine or sherry, sugar, and black pepper.
    2. In a separate small bowl, stir the cornstarch into the water. Keep both bowls near the stove.
    3. Stir-fry the vegetables. Once the vegetables are stir-fried, push the vegetables to the sides of the wok.
    4. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and pour into the middle of the pan. Bring to a boil.
    5. Give the cornstarch/water mixture and pour into the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken.
    1. Stir to combine the vegetables with the sauce.
    2. Remove the wok from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve, sprinkling the sesame seeds over if desired.

Probably not the same but i like this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just to add to the very good advice above, if you can get to an asian supermarket get a bottle of mae krua oyster sauce:

FB5ahpO.jpg

It's only about 3 quid for a huge bottle, keeps forever in the fridge, and is 30% oyster extract. Most other brands you find in the supermarket are no more that 1-2% oysters and are much much more expensive by volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

inforfun wrote: »
    What You'll Need

• 1/4 cup chicken broth or water 2 tablespoons oyster sauce 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry 1/2 teaspoon sugar Black pepper, to taste 1 teaspoon cornstarch 2 teaspoons water Salt, to taste up to 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

How to Make It
    1. In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth or water, oyster sauce, rice wine or sherry, sugar, and black pepper.
    2. In a separate small bowl, stir the cornstarch into the water. Keep both bowls near the stove.
    3. Stir-fry the vegetables. Once the vegetables are stir-fried, push the vegetables to the sides of the wok.
    4. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and pour into the middle of the pan. Bring to a boil.
    5. Give the cornstarch/water mixture and pour into the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken.
    1. Stir to combine the vegetables with the sauce.
    2. Remove the wok from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve, sprinkling the sesame seeds over if desired.

Probably not the same but i like this one.
    Fantastic, thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That is for a veggie stir fry btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The Strong White & Wholemeal flours seem to be back in stock. Spotted them in my local Aldi today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Strong White & Wholemeal flours seem to be back in stock. Spotted them in my local Aldi today :)
    That's good. Wonder how long they will last this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have the little packs\pouches of torn ham etc been discontinued? Haven't seen them for a while.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ellejay wrote: »

The "wet packets" would usually be harder to replicate. The dry ones can be too as sometimes they put generic terms like "spices" to mask their "secret ingredients", but own-brands seem to reveal more.

If I saw the ingredients I could certainly comment on them, but not sure I could advise how to replicate. Here is a blue dragon one

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250562239
    Ingredients
    Water, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Maize Starch, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein, Spring Onion (1.5%), Salt, Garlic Puree (1%), Ginger Puree (1%), Fish Sauce [Anchovy Extract (Fish), Salt, Water, Sugar], Colour (Plain Caramel), Oyster Powder (0.4%) [Dried Oyster (Mollusc), Tapioca Starch, Salt], Red Chilli Paste [Red Chilli Peppers, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Acetic Acid)], Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Natural Flavouring

I would use potato starch or corn flour for the thickener. You can get dry spring onions sometimes in lidl, you could liquidise fresh ones if trying to make a paste to store. In asian shops you can get jars of garlic puree/minced garlic. You can get a jar with an even mix of garlic & ginger paste as they are so often used together, or get fresh garlic & ginger. If you had no fish sauce worcester sauce could be swopped in. I have never seen "oyster powder", this could be more an item for the food industry -oyster sauce could be used instead.

I have an old ice cube tray only used for spicy sauces, if you got a lot of ingredients you can mix it up into a large batch and freeze into cubes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

rubadub wrote: »
    The "wet packets" would usually be harder to replicate. The dry ones can be too as sometimes they put generic terms like "spices" to mask their "secret ingredients", but own-brands seem to reveal more.

If I saw the ingredients I could certainly comment on them, but not sure I could advise how to replicate. Here is a blue dragon one

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250562239

I would use potato starch or corn flour for the thickener. You can get dry spring onions sometimes in lidl, you could liquidise fresh ones if trying to make a paste to store. In asian shops you can get jars of garlic puree/minced garlic. You can get a jar with an even mix of garlic & ginger paste as they are so often used together, or get fresh garlic & ginger. If you had no fish sauce worcester sauce could be swopped in. I have never seen "oyster powder", this could be more an item for the food industry -oyster sauce could be used instead.

I have an old ice cube tray only used for spicy sauces, if you got a lot of ingredients you can mix it up into a large batch and freeze into cubes

Just to add to this - Aldi sell squeezy tubes of crushed garlic, crushed ginger and chillies. They’re really handy to have in the fridge! There’s only myself and my OH so found we were throwing fresh stuff out as we weren’t using enough. These are next to the fresh herbs, if anyone is interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Just to add to this - Aldi sell squeezy tubes of crushed garlic, crushed ginger and chillies. They’re really handy to have in the fridge! There’s only myself and my OH so found we were throwing fresh stuff out as we weren’t using enough. These are next to the fresh herbs, if anyone is interested :)

Have tried both of these and while they are certainly handy I'd advise being careful using the garlic as I found it extremely salty when used to make a dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

RasTa wrote: »
    Just popped over to Aldi there to get some eggs and some new form of egg I've never heard of was staring at me. Blue eggs! 90p for 6 large free range or £1.45 for medium blue ones.

Went with free range. Anyone had them?

What Aldi was this? Ran down to Terenure but no sign there. Love blue eggs, they're so cheery to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Rechuchote wrote: »
    What Aldi was this? Ran down to Terenure but no sign there. Love blue eggs, they're so cheery to look at.

Sounds like that was in the UK as prices given are in £.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Presume it's UK.

Edit: Snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah UK and I'm still disgusted I can't get my organic porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah UK and I'm still disgusted I can't get my organic porridge.

I'm not a porridge fan myself, but Mr Crumble eats it and swears by the organic one from Lidl. Might be worth giving that a try?

Most of the porridges available make a soft mush. If you want more porridgey porridge, go for Harvey's, I think it's called - it's in an old-fashioned-looking package and Supervalu has it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Most of the porridges available make a soft mush. If you want more porridgey porridge, go for Harvey's, I think it's called - it's in an old-fashioned-looking package and Supervalu has it.

Sorry if OT but if you want a less mushy and more chewy oaty porridge it's gotta be jumbo oats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Enjoyed the Gosh veggie sausages - the sage & black pepper ones - will definitely buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Gosh veggie sausages - the sage & black pepper ones - will definitely buy again.

Where are they, frozen or chilled? Was in Aldi Letterkenny this afternoon and didn't spot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Are they similar quality to the Linda McCartney ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Where are they, frozen or chilled? Was in Aldi Letterkenny this afternoon and didn't spot them.

Chilled - they were beside the veggie burgers and falafel / pakoras in my Aldi

Are they similar quality to the Linda McCartney ones?

They're different to the quorn meaty-type sausages - ingredients included chickpeas etc, but tasty - I had them in hotdog buns, but would work with breakfast too..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Got these for the wife, served them up this morning with scrambled eggs and homemade pancakes, she really enjoyed them, and must admit I sampled a bit of one myself.

Weekly essential item.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Aldi annoy me with their placement of veggie stuff. It's like going on a treasure hunt every time I go in. They just seem to scatter the products where ever they find a space. I wish they would just have a dedicated vegetarian section.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Anyone familiar with Aldi drinks, would I get triple sec and orange vodka there? Any idea of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Whispered wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with Aldi drinks, would I get triple sec and orange vodka there? Any idea of price.

Triple sec not part of their regular range, sometimes have a special delivery near christmas.
    No idea about orange vodka.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Whispered wrote: »

They do have a triple sec, but I’ve only ever seen it in one Aldi store that I used to go to. It hasn’t been in any of the others. It wasn’t seasonal either as it was in stock for several months when I shopped there last summer (was near where I was working at the time, and also in the UK).

If you need it, Tesco do a Triple Sec that’s perfectly affordable. I think it’s the Finest range? It has a black label anyway.

I’ve never seen flavored vodkas in Aldi either.

Advertisement