Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Faith wrote: »
    If you need it, Tesco do a Triple Sec that’s perfectly affordable. I think it’s the Finest range? It has a black label anyway.
    It's not coming up on their online shopping, that would be the handiest, have it delivered :D but all I can find is Cointreau which is really expensive!

I'll have another look. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Whispered wrote: »
    It's not coming up on their online shopping, that would be the handiest, have it delivered :D but all I can find is Cointreau which is really expensive!

I'll have another look. Thanks.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291547370

Does that link open it for you? It’s possible Irish stores don’t have it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It opens yes~ I just searched there on my Tesco page and it's not available.

I tried an orange cosmo last night and am dying to make some. The fact it's not readily available for cheap is probably not a bad thing in this case :pac:

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Never seen the own brand triple sec in Tescos here alas...cos I would have bought it.

You could try Aldis cheap brandy, scotch or knockoff southern comfort and put in some orange peel an hour before you make the cocktail.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some homebrew shops sell liquer essences.

https://www.homebrewwest.ie/liqueur-extract-lick-triple-sec-20-ml-cointreau-2895-p.asp

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/liqueur-extract-triple-sec-p-1908.html

Unfortunately there are very few (if any) walk in homebrew shops these days.

Not sure of any offlicences sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bols in a proper off licence is the cheapest in Ireland normally which is very odd. Aldis is cheapest when available

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Gosh veggie sausages - the sage & black pepper ones - will definitely buy again.
    Bought the other ones today. Smoked red pepper and sweet potato or something like that. Haven't tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Alun wrote: »
    Bought the other ones today. Smoked red pepper and sweet potato or something like that. Haven't tried them yet.

I didn't like these ones. They're like the pakoras in a sausage shape. Hope the other ones are nicer.

I didn't like these ones. They're like the pakoras in a sausage shape. Hope the other ones are nicer.
    Just had them. They were ok, very similar to the sweet potato burgers on the same shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Some things I've tried recently that I enjoyed. The aldi version of Pataks paste was good, made a nice curry. The steak and Ale pie in the fridges were lovely too.

However the Aldi version of the nature valley bars were awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yes, a bit too crunchy and hard to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

L1011 wrote: »
    Bols in a proper off licence is the cheapest in Ireland normally which is very odd. Aldis is cheapest when available

Jesus.... that brings back memories.
    Was always a proper brand and many small bottles of jenever were smuggled in at alcohol free school parties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

They seem to have stopped doing their peri peri sauces.
    They were really good. The mild was a bit on the spicy side for the kids but they loved the lemon and herb in a noodle stir fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tried their mini tortillas last night and very nice they were indeed. I find the Lidl ones flippin' huge so it was nice to find a smaller option in Aldi. Dampened them slightly, folded in four and stuck into the toaster for about a minute. Had them with an Indian-spiced fillet steak salad and they were gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I grabbed a bag of the rye crispbread since that's my breakfast go to and theirs is awful. Thin, tasteless, simply not nice. The Lidl one is miles better.

LirW wrote: »
    I grabbed a bag of the rye crispbread since that's my breakfast go to and theirs is awful. Thin, tasteless, simply not nice. The Lidl one is miles better.
    I find all crispbread sold in the supermarkets here rubbish. Go to Ikea and get the real Swedish stuff, much, much nicer. They sell it in the small store in Carrickmines too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Some things I've tried recently that I enjoyed. The aldi version of Pataks paste was good, made a nice curry. The steak and Ale pie in the fridges were lovely too.

Try spatchcocking a chicken and covering the skin in paste, then roast for an hour or so. Bloomin’ lovely it is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Alun wrote: »
    I find all crispbread sold in the supermarkets here rubbish. Go to Ikea and get the real Swedish stuff, much, much nicer. They sell it in the small store in Carrickmines too by the way.

I live 2 hours away from IKEA but I ask them about delivery alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not food related but Aldi have extra large dog poo bags on special this week. 51cent cheaper than Dealz. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Not food related but Aldi have extra large dog poo bags on special this week. 51cent cheaper than Dealz. :D

They are very good, stocked up again. With two dogs, you'll always need them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’d need them for my puppy...🀮
    They have nice toys for dogs in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The honey baked wafer thin ham in the black packet (€2.09) is delicious and the Specially Selected Belgian Chocolate Mousse (€0.69) is to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Not food related. Really??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ALDI have a new wine range, "I love X" where the wine is supposed to pair with the named food.

With, yes pizza, I had the "Loves Pizza", which is Sangiovese, the 'Chianti' grape but this is from Sicily rather than Tuscany.
    It's a nice wine although at €7 I think some of ALDI's regular Italians would pair even better.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/a579757/aldi-new-this-loves-wine-range/

I'm curious to try the "Loves Lamb" as it has some unusual wine grapes (Monastrell & Petit Verdot).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yes! The organic porridge has returned. My local is getting shut down for 5 days to do the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Got back late afternoon yesterday after a short work trip, so hasn't got much time to prepare dinner, so I quickly filleted a few thighs of chicken, and made curry with the specially selected jars of sauce (Balti).

I remember being impressed with these curry jars when they first hit the shelves, but that one yesterday left a lot to be desired.

I found it quite bland, and that was despite the fact I added a few extras to the chicken when cooking (onion/garlic/various seasoning) there was also a good bit of oil on top even though I used none during the cooking process.

I'd not be in a hurry to ever buy more now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

odyssey06 wrote: »
    ALDI have a new wine range, "I love X" where the wine is supposed to pair with the named food.

With, yes pizza, I had the "Loves Pizza", which is Sangiovese, the 'Chianti' grape but this is from Sicily rather than Tuscany.
    It's a nice wine although at €7 I think some of ALDI's regular Italians would pair even better.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/a579757/aldi-new-this-loves-wine-range/

I'm curious to try the "Loves Lamb" as it has some unusual wine grapes (Monastrell & Petit Verdot).

Monastrell & lamb should work together. Must check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Got back late afternoon yesterday after a short work trip, so hasn't got much time to prepare dinner, so I quickly filleted a few thighs of chicken, and made curry with the specially selected jars of sauce (Balti).

I remember being impressed with these curry jars when they first hit the shelves, but that one yesterday left a lot to be desired.

I found it quite bland, and that was despite the fact I added a few extras to the chicken when cooking (onion/garlic/various seasoning) there was also a good bit of oil on top even though I used none during the cooking process.

I agree. I used them a few times when they first came out and thought they weren't bad, quite handy in a hurry, but I used a jar of the butter chicken one recently and the amount of oil in it was something else! I won't bother with them again.

RasTa wrote: »
    Yes! The organic porridge has returned. My local is getting shut down for 5 days to do the upgrade.

Closed for 5 days? Must be some tasty porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Me too; I tried the madras when it was new and it was hands down the best jar curry I'd ever tasted, it was pretty much indistinguishable from a good curry made from scratch with fresh spices.

Now it's ok but unremarkable, and definitely has that 'jar curry' tang

Advertisement