Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

Has anyone else had trouble getting the Specially Selected Vintage Cheddar lately? A friend of mine loves it and hasn't been able to get it in the Coolock branch for about 3 weeks now. They even tried the Parnell St one and they didn't have it either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We've been able to get the Vintage White in the black pack but the Vintage red in the purple pack, if that's the one you're talking about, hasn't been in the Swords branch for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

No, it's the vintage white in the black packet that was recommended here a lot. Good to know it's still around somewhere. Perhaps it's just a victim of it's own success and it's wiped out the minute it's put on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Get the vintage cheese in the black packaging every week, none at all this week which is a first, shame its a nice strong cheese had this other make which i haven't seen before only a lot dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They've slightly changed the packaging on it, got some in cork yesterday, it's even more black now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The "0% fat - high in protein" frozen Greek yoghurt is excellent.

Great ice cream substitute.

Not sure on the label jargon, so can't say if it's actually healthy or not. Others higher up on such things might advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Oh wow - have never seen this, is it a special? What flavours does it come in?

Oh wow - have never seen this, is it a special? What flavours does it come in?

Don't think it's a special, it just seemed to appear in the freezer department over the weekend so hoping it's going to be part of their regular stock items.

They seem to be wanting to target health conscious people or those in training as it specifically says on the tub that it's high in protein and zero percent fat, followed by "perfect for smoothies".

Flavour is just plain yoghurt, but it has a sweetness to it, it's not a million miles away from actual ice cream hence me stating that it would make an excellent substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have ALDI got rid of the fried rice in the tub? The sel says fried rice and pilau rice but all the boxes in two shops I tried only had pilau rice and basmati rice in them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

vicwatson wrote: »
    Have ALDI got rid of the fried rice in the tub? The sel says fried rice and pilau rice but all the boxes in two shops I tried only had pilau rice and basmati rice in them

were the boxes full? lidl and aldi have this stupid policy of having boxes with mixed flavours, and all the popular ones sell out. I would well imagine people getting the fried rice over plain rice, esp. if the price was the same (was the price the same?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,702 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Haven't seen the 'Dominion' chewing gum for ages, was as good as branded versions but half the price :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

vicwatson wrote: »

Took that one myself recently after the bigger boxes of bami or nasi goreng got rarer and rarer. Only Singapore and hongkong noodles most of the time

So now i make my own nasi goreng\fried rice
    Takes a bit more time but it is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

rubadub wrote: »
    were the boxes full? lidl and aldi have this stupid policy of having boxes with mixed flavours, and all the popular ones sell out. I would well imagine people getting the fried rice over plain rice, esp. if the price was the same (was the price the same?)

Agreed but yes they were full (ones underneath anyway) and zero fried. Price the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I buy all my cereals from Aldi and v happy with them.
    Recently bought the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes type and they are just as good, if not better!
    For some reason I was buying the branded ones as a treat and didn't want to try the Aldi ones.
    Only problem now is they mightn't be just a treat anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Recently bought the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes type and they are just as good, if not better!
    For some reason I was buying the branded ones as a treat and didn't want to try the Aldi ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

The skinny soups (carrot & coriander) have disappeared too!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

whiskeyman wrote: »

I buy their equivalent of Special K and Rice Crispies-they're perfect

Tried their weetabix once (I think maybe they do have two types and it might have been the cheaper I tried) but it was awful!! Like cardboard

My favourite porridge is the Dunnes own brand one-it's the cheapest one at like €1 for the big white and red packet so probably cheaper than Aldi and it's the nicest one I've tried

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Im getting seriously tired of our local aldi.
    The only tjings i buy thete now are toilet rolls firelighters and the occasional packets of cold meat and rashers.
    Have gotten so tired of finding them discontinuing items. Easier to go to our local tesco or supetvalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Im getting seriously tired of our local aldi.
    The only tjings i buy thete now are toilet rolls firelighters and the occasional packets of cold meat and rashers.
    Have gotten so tired of finding them discontinuing items. Easier to go to our local tesco or supetvalu.

As for the keyboards they sell there querty peculiar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bigus wrote: »
    As for the keyboards they sell there querty peculiar.
    Nothing to contribute to the thread except to slag off a couple of misspellings? Think carefully before posting again please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a glass grinder over in the herbs section for about a Euro I think, its called Barbecue Supreme, best mixed herbs grinder I ever had, jalapenos, garlic, sea salt, black/white pepper, mustard seeds and chili flakes, apparently it has smoke flavour which explains the barbecue in the name but I dont get any of that, anyway its great for adding a bit of heat and seasoning to meat, I dumped it all over some frozen fries in the Airfryer for a nice spicebag effect. Really spews the ingredients out when you twist it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

chocfan wrote: »
    whiskeyman wrote: »

I buy their equivalent of Special K and Rice Crispies-they're perfect

Tried their weetabix once (I think maybe they do have two types and it might have been the cheaper I tried) but it was awful!! Like cardboard

My favourite porridge is the Dunnes own brand one-it's the cheapest one at like €1 for the big white and red packet so probably cheaper than Aldi and it's the nicest one I've tried

The Fruit n Fibre are 99% flakes. Eff all fruit or nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just spotted Canon IXUS 185 in Aldi Sandyford for €89.99. €119.00 in Conn’s Cameras.

Not a serious piece of kit, but if you’re looking for something a bit better than a phone camera...

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Just spotted Canon IXUS 185 in Aldi Sandyford for €89.99. €119.00 in Conn’s Cameras.

Not a serious piece of kit, but if you’re looking for something a bit better than a phone camera...

D.
    Sounds delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The salted pretzel chocolate bar is lovely and the Barm Brack with the colorful picture at the front really nice. I think it’s 89 cents.

Anyone tried the new Sauviginon Gin?

Priced at 24.99€ (same as Boyles) but this one is 43%?

Now, I don't drink gin myself, but Mrs D partakes in the odd one, so I'm wondering how this is going to go down with her.

Bought it, and it's in the press with some fevertree elderflower tonic.

How long before she notices "this isn't Boyles"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Are the Aldi specially selected frozen pizzas gone for good? That spicy etna pizza was the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone tried the new Sauviginon Gin?

Priced at 24.99€ (same as Boyles) but this one is 43%?

Now, I don't drink gin myself, but Mrs D partakes in the odd one, so I'm wondering how this is going to go down with her.

Bought it, and it's in the press with some fevertree elderflower tonic.

How long before she notices "this isn't Boyles"?

Do let me know how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Finally got to to try the Gosh veggie sausages (sage & black pepper) this afternoon. They're really good. Had them with sauté potatoes & mushrooms for late brunch. Delicious!

• Advertisement

Do they actually taste like sausage?

Advertisement