Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

rubadub wrote: »
    the seeded brioche burger buns seem to be standard now. Aldi is out of the way for me but I always buy a few packs as they are very long dated. I have eaten them up near the BB date and they are grand.

Far better than tesco or lidls brioche burger buns which have much shorter dates.

Like most things BB dates are just a guideline but if handled properly, coupled with the combo of shedloads of butter in the brioche...deffo helps the shelf life :)

Have frozen them too, no problem at all and they taste very good when defrosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Can't abide the brioche burger buns but that's just me, partner and kids love 'em. I much preferred the large wholegrain one they used to have.

The wife decided to pick this up today for our daughter. I'm still not exactly sure why.

20181122-195929-600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Thats a big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

He was quite the popular buy today! Queues into the car park of my local shop to buy them. People almost fighting over them until staff arrived with three or four boxes of them and just left the cardboard boxes to be raided.
    I hope whatever staff member came up with Kevin the carrot last year has been promoted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was always a huge fan of the Specially Selected curry sauces (with the spices on top of the jar), but they don't taste as nice anymore.

Loving the Ballymore Soft Batch for 95c.

The Four Seasons Thai-Style Veg is absolutely gorgeous. I always stock up when I go shopping. €1.99 for a bag that serves two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dónal wrote: »
    The wife decided to pick this up today for our daughter. I'm still not exactly sure why.

Aww so cute, ya where did the Aldi come up with this Character Kevin the carrot come from? It’s been around now a few years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dónal wrote: »

Is that a smaller one in the box below?

Last year was the first year. Their Christmas ad had Kevin the Carrot in it. Then a couple of weeks later they brought out the small teddies Kevin and Katie and the babies.
    This year they’ve the same characters wearing Christmas jumpers, with the addition of the Wicked Parnsip 😀
    So simple but obviously effective judging by the queues and how much my kids love them!

Is that a smaller one in the box below?

Yes. We also have some mini ones and an evil looking parsnip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

See I’ve been caught out, once again, by the pre-Christmas Raisin clear-out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

sillysocks wrote: »
    Last year was the first year. Their Christmas ad had Kevin the Carrot in it. Then a couple of weeks later they brought out the small teddies Kevin and Katie and the babies.
    This year they’ve the same characters wearing Christmas jumpers, with the addition of the Wicked Parnsip ��
    So simple but obviously effective judging by the queues and how much my kids love them!

Actually - 2016 was the first year Kevin came out ;) They made a soft toy of him, then he met Katie and she got a soft toy.

Then in 2017 they had babies and they got made into soft toys, Jasper, Chantenay and Baby.
    This year we have the addition of Pascal the parsnip. Who is an altogether unsavory character..

Kamili wrote: »
    Actually - 2016 was the first year Kevin came out ;) They made a soft toy of him, then he met Katie and she got a soft toy.

Then in 2017 they had babies and they got made into soft toys, Jasper, Chantenay and Baby.
    This year we have the addition of Pascal the parsnip. Who is an altogether unsavory character..

Sorry my bad! We only got both last year and thought that was the start of it. We did see late addition if he babies last year but we’re quick enough to get them.
    Pascal has become the favourite here his year, even with my little boy who’s usually afraid of his own shadow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

sillysocks wrote: »
    Sorry my bad! We only got both last year and thought that was the start of it. We did see late addition if he babies last year but we’re quick enough to get them.
    Pascal has become the favourite here his year, even with my little boy who’s usually afraid of his own shadow!

I don't have kids but got Katie for my dog in 2016 (missed out on Kevin) and he adores her. Apart from being a little grubby she's actually in great knick too. She gets chucked around and played fetch with and brought to doggy bed regularly.
    I did buy a spare at the time which is neatly wrapped up in a bag in a press.

I'm dying to get my hands on Pascal and the babies this year. So tempted by the 1 meter tall Kevin too. My dog is a little Pom so it would be massive compared to him!

My Dog's favourite treat to chew on is actually a raw carrot, so anytime the Aldi adverts come on either Katie gets pulled out (depending on what words he picks up on) or he goes looking for a raw carrot. Its super cute. All his toys have names and he can fetch them by name when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fussyonion wrote: »
    I was always a huge fan of the Specially Selected curry sauces (with the spices on top of the jar), but they don't taste as nice anymore.

Lidl sell a similar product, might be worth trying, I've tried the Tikka Masala and it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The specially selected frozen steak and Merlot pies are delish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

anewme wrote: »
    Bought specially selected falafel burgers, they were fab.

I was hoping to love these, but tbh I reckon I won't eat the rest - really did not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl sell a similar product, might be worth trying, I've tried the Tikka Masala and it's very good.

I've seen these in Iceland. Very similar packaging to the Aldi one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I picked up the chilli and salt wings from the freezer.
    VERY very hot, I like hot wings but these were a bit much. I ended throwing most of them in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

KevIRL wrote: »

Second that. And their mash In the fridge is pretty good too. A handy emergency dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

KevIRL wrote: »

Is there a decent ratio of filling to pastry? I've found a lot of these pies to be short on filling/gravy, they just wind up a stodgy pastryfest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I was hoping to love these, but tbh I reckon I won't eat the rest - really did not like.

Yeah we tried out the falafel burgers last week, they were ok but not great, probably wouldn't buy them again. We're trying the beetroot burgers this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got some sweet potato burgers in the fridge section recently. Just had them for lunch today and they were delish with some salad leaves and sweet chilli mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is there a decent ratio of filling to pastry? I've found a lot of these pies to be short on filling/gravy, they just wind up a stodgy pastryfest.

you can see mixed reviews here.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/steak-%26-claret-pie/p/073529106514100

I wish they would post the ingredients and nutritional info like tesco do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just out of my local Aldi. Don't know what's going on in there but next to nothing in the freezers. Very low stock.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just out of my local Aldi. Don't know what's going on in there but next to nothing in the freezers. Very low stock.

Mine was the same last week. Very low stock in a lot of places. Not something that I've ever experienced in any Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Probably getting ready for all the Christmas stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mine was the same last week. Very low stock in a lot of places. Not something that I've ever experienced in any Aldi.

I reckon they're trying to make space for all the Christmas stuff that will be landing from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

.red. wrote: »
    I picked up the chilli and salt wings from the freezer.
    VERY very hot, I like hot wings but these were a bit much. I ended throwing most of them in the bin.
    Are they new? Ive never seen them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tried the porcini mushroom & truffle pasta triangoli. Was my first time eating porcini and I didnt like it, it was just way too pungent. Fungus fiends might see it differently and lap it up but for me the flavour was overpowering.

Also tried their sweet potato cubes with garlic & herb (in freezers next to chips) and I can recommend. They were reduced to 1.99/500g in my local, the normal price is 2.99.

Advertisement