Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl sell a similar product, might be worth trying, I've tried the Tikka Masala and it's very good.

Whichever one of the Lidl ones I tried I didn't like it - found it very oily and bland.

Used to absolutely love the aldi curry sauces with the separate spices on top of the jar, butter chicken and dopioza were delish...hope they haven't changed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yellow hen wrote: »
    Second that. And their mash In the fridge is pretty good too. A handy emergency dinner

Mashed turnip is grand. I cannot peel or cut the dratted great things any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

rubadub wrote: »
    you can see mixed reviews here.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/steak-%26-claret-pie/p/073529106514100

I wish they would post the ingredients and nutritional info like tesco do.

That's a different pie to the one I referenced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

They have goats cheese cauliflower and something Wellington...my son is veggie and so choosy and loved them..they are in the freezer come in a two pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Tried the porcini mushroom & truffle pasta triangoli. Was my first time eating porcini and I didnt like it, it was just way too pungent. Fungus fiends might see it differently and lap it up but for me the flavour was overpowering.

Goes to show its just a matter of preference because I love these and have sometimes drizzled a bit of extra truffle oil on them to serve to make the flavour even more intense!

I also just tried the Specially Selected Smoked Haddock Fishcakes with cheese and leak and was very impressed. 20 minutes in the oven and they we're lovely and crispy. They're about 260 calories and I felt they tasted very rich considering that. I served with a few baby potatoes and a salad for a reasonably healthy quick and easy dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lashes28 wrote: »
    They have goats cheese cauliflower and something Wellington...my son is veggie and so choosy and loved them..they are in the freezer come in a two pack.

Bought these for my better half, they're not eaten yet, but sounds like they might be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

KevIRL wrote: »
    That's a different pie to the one I referenced
    Yes, the ones he referred to are two individual pies in a box together. They're in a black box in the freezer section.

They have a pretty good meat / pastry ratio and a decent amount of gravy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Enjoyed the 2-part vegetable masala with rice - very tasty for 3 mins in the microwave..

I'd say it's made by the same folks who make the vegetable biriyani in a tub, though this was nicer..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had the confit duck legs earlier. 25 mins in the oven and lovely crispy skin, really delicious. I only wish they were bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Had the confit duck legs earlier. 25 mins in the oven and lovely crispy skin, really delicious. I only wish they were bigger

A garlic & herb sausage per leg is a nice accompaniment. I think the larger legs go into the Silver Hill branded packs you see in Dunnes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The Black Forest mince pies. I think I'm going to have to stockpile! Can't wait until the salted caramel cream arrives tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I get these in Lidl, are Aldi doing them now, also?

They are a regular in our house. Love them.
    While I could probably eat 2 of these, I find one is actually enough - pretty rich meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah the pack of 2 duck legs says theyre 300g some of which is bone. I contemplated just eating one leg but then when the oven was on I changed my mind and decided to go all in with both of them :D But one would be enough, especially if matched with a sausage as odyssey06 suggested.

I see Aldi are selling a Silverhill full duck as part of their Christmas meats from tomorrow on. Not sure of the price yet but thinking Ill have to partake in that. Couple of nice duck breasts and then shred the rest down to be used later in a Chinese style stir fry.
    *Licks lips*

Irish-Whole-Silver-Hill-Duck.jpg?o=5dlR4flrl1ZMMu6X00m5IqFMZP8j&V=TqbV&w=1500&p=2&q=50
    https://www.aldi.ie/irish-whole-silver-hill-duck/p/049023004050200

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

They're lovely alright.

I think if you root around in the box, you might find that some packs are heavier than others. I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don’t buy the specially selected Brie costs over €2 and it stinks of sweaty socks. Not good, mine went in the bin as it also tasted disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Don’t buy the specially selected Brie costs over €2 and it stinks of sweaty socks. Not good, mine went in the bin as it also tasted disgusting

But isn’t it supposed to smell like sweaty socks?

But isn’t it supposed to smell like sweaty socks?

Brie? Not to my knowledge

Stinking bishop maybe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Now that's a must buy for me... Lovely stinky brie that's about to run off the plate.. yum!

https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/stinky-brie-cheese/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Aldi are now stocking Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages, so that's one more item I don't have to visit Tesco for. :)

Also, they've introduced 2 x new veg burgers to their range, Thai burgers and falafel burgers.

Mrs D says the falafel ones are delicious.

Was very disappointed to see they list palm oil as one of their ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

I was quite surprised to see this too..will be avoiding in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

palm oil is in almost everything. Even cartons of Birds Custard.... After I saw trhe iceland ad I went through pages of tesco stock online and was appalled. Almost all biscuits, bread, cakes, and all in the cheaper lines the less well off rely on. Cheesecake.. Cadbury are the worst offenders and this year will see no tubs of Roses etc here.

tesco themselves are working at it. Ritz and other crackers have palm oil, but they have boxes of Snackers that are palm oil free as is their chocolate etc

I am walking round shops with my glasses on reading ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Triple chocolate Swiss roll found in the cakes section.
    It's delicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Graces7 wrote: »
    palm oil is in almost everything. Even cartons of Birds Custard.... After I saw trhe iceland ad I went through pages of tesco stock online and was appalled. Almost all biscuits, bread, cakes, and all in the cheaper lines the less well off rely on. Cheesecake.. Cadbury are the worst offenders and this year will see no tubs of Roses etc here.

tesco themselves are working at it. Ritz and other crackers have palm oil, but they have boxes of Snackers that are palm oil free as is their chocolate etc

I am walking round shops with my glasses on reading ingredients

Check out the number of foods which contain inceasing amounts of soya as a cheap filler. Soya meal and other derivitives are the left over products of the processing soy beans (for soya oil) and is used in nearly all commercial brands of bread, cakes dried soups and sauces, chocolate etc etc. Tbh as a vast monoculture crop it is little better than palm oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone know if I can get pomegranate juice in Aldi or Lidl?

Speedsie wrote: »
    Now that's a must buy for me... Lovely stinky brie that's about to run off the plate.. yum!

https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/stinky-brie-cheese/

Enjoy your ammonia smelling Brie :pac:

weetiepie wrote: »
    I was quite surprised to see this too..will be avoiding in the future

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thargor wrote:

I can't say I've ever seen it in Aldi anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

KevIRL wrote: »
    The specially selected frozen steak and Merlot pies are delish

Yep, tried them and very happy with them. Nice filling to pastry ratio and full of flavour. Excellent value for money for a lazy lunch or dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Aldi are now stocking Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages, so that's one more item I don't have to visit Tesco for. :)

Also, they've introduced 2 x new veg burgers to their range, Thai burgers and falafel burgers.

Mrs D says the falafel ones are delicious.

Tried the Thai burgers the other day and I'm afraid to say I wasn't convinced.

They were very soft, and the only "Thai" thing about them was an overpowering taste of lemongrass. No spice, no heat, not even actually enough seasoning in them.

I appreciate them trying to offer more for us veggies, but that one's not a winner, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thargor wrote: »

Not exactly what you asked, but Aldi have pomegranetes in the super 6 this week. 49c each.

Advertisement