Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

fussyonion wrote: »
    The 10% one is €2.79.
    The 5% one is €3.79.
    The 15% one is €1.79.

Thats still really good for 5%, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thats still really good for 5%, thanks :)

It is and it's not that horrible stringy mince you see in some supermarkets.
    It's really good quality. I won't buy mince anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

What's stringy mince? You mean the way it's presented at a Butcher's counter? That's just the way it came out of their large professional mincer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Red King wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to stop buying fruit&veg and chicken from Aldi.

The fruit&veg is just bad quality, it lasts about 24 hours before going rotten. It is as if it has been frozen or something beforehand.

And twice now in the past two weeks I have bought chicken fillets that when opened at home in date they were gone off.

Nothing wrong with my fridge either, this was straight home from the store.

I do all my shopping at Aldi but I am just tired of the bad quality in the above items.

What was the result when you complained to Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

It's really good quality. I won't buy mince anywhere else.

I also think the 15% mince is excellent quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Zelda247 wrote: »

It's the best for homemade burgers imo

Zelda247 wrote: »

If I wasnt always on a diet, I'd give it a go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

blue_blue wrote: »
    What's stringy mince? You mean the way it's presented at a Butcher's counter? That's just the way it came out of their large professional mincer.

I didn't say butcher's counter. I said supermarkets. As in pre-packed mince in most supermarkets; it's all stringy and doesn't break down well when frying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I complained and returned the chicken to Aldi and just got an exchange.

I store all my veg in the fridge compartment. It still goes bad.

The worst culprits are cucumbers, mushrooms, grapefruit and pineapples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Red King wrote: »
    I store all my veg in the fridge compartment. It still goes bad.

Not everything belongs in the fridge, some things will spoil faster in there.

I find this really handy:
    graphic_fruitandveggiestorage.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldi have finally brought back this Apple sauce, been looking for it for ages but all they ever had was stacks of cranberry sauce:

Rp_Trimmings_PD10_7116191efb.jpg

Lovely with pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I tried their basic tomato and spicy pepper pasta sauce. It was delicious, can't believe how cheap it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Aldi sells almond milk now, both sweetened and unsweetened. BIG YES!!!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Aldi sells almond milk now, both sweetened and unsweetened. BIG YES!!!

Oooh how much?

Oooh how much?

Just under €1.70 if I remember correctly. I'll be getting some later so will post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I bought their Mango and Passion Fruit frozen yoghurt yesterday, flippin ECK it was GORGEOUS!!! Meself and himself ate the whole tub in one sitting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I tried their specially selected quiche the other day, really tasty and only 2.29, they have two different flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you like to microwave a tin of beans for a quick snack now and then, try Aldi Bilash Chickpea Dahl.

Suitable for vegetarians too, as far as I can tell. See following link: http://veggies.co.uk/2013/10/22/aldi-bilash-chickpea-dahl/

The retail packaging has changed from what is shown above.

ED4985F1-AA8A-4841-8603-A2F28805EF37_zpstlyuzi3v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Oh totally agree!

I used to like walkers baked but they just don't do it for me anymore! I think they're too dry (not exactly surprising given they're baked though lol)

I don't mind those ones made from cassava though, can't think of the name!

Velvet Crunch? Aldi do their own version called Satin Crunch and are a convincing knockoff.

Amalgam wrote: »
    If you like to microwave a tin of beans for a quick snack now and then, try Aldi Bilash Chickpea Dahl.

Suitable for vegetarians too, as far as I can tell. See following link: http://veggies.co.uk/2013/10/22/aldi-bilash-chickpea-dahl/

The retail packaging has changed from what is shown above.

A handy idea to leave a few in work.

They've expanded their popular range of curry sauces. They now seem to give them more shelf space with a Hot range and a Mild range and have also added Mexican Fajita and Chilli jars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Definitely trying the Chili sauce thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aldi now doing actual greek yogurt as opposed to just greek style - 1.79 for 500g compared to 3.49 in Dunnes for Fage. I had it yesterday with fruit and nuts and tastes pretty good - protein content is a bit lower per 100g though. Looked at the back of the tub and it says "produced in Greece using Greek milk" - pretty good alternative if you can't afford the Fage. Still love Fage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭caviardreams

leahyl wrote: »
    Aldi now doing actual greek yogurt as opposed to just greek style - 1.79 for 500g compared to 3.49 in Dunnes for Fage. I had it yesterday with fruit and nuts and tastes pretty good - protein content is a bit lower per 100g though. Looked at the back of the tub and it says "produced in Greece using Greek milk" - pretty good alternative if you can't afford the Fage. Still love Fage though!

Do you have the nutritional info for that by any chance? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Per 100g: 132kcal, 10g fat (7.6g saturates), carbohydrate 3.7g (3.2g sugars), fibre >0.5g, protein 6.4g, salt 0.20g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not everything belongs in the fridge, some things will spoil faster in there.

I find this really handy:
    graphic_fruitandveggiestorage.jpg

Thank you Dial Hard! Have just printed this off and intend to stick it on my fridge.

I bought a punnet of mixed fruit (Strawbs, raspberries & blueberries) from Aldi on Monday, opened it Tuesday morning and everything was fine. Left it on the counter and then by Tuesday evening the blueberries were covered in furry mould and the strawberries looked odd :(

I'm a big lover of Aldi but I've occasionally found their pre-packed fruit to be a problem - maybe I've just been storing it wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thank you Dial Hard! Have just printed this off and intend to stick it on my fridge.

I bought a punnet of mixed fruit (Strawbs, raspberries & blueberries) from Aldi on Monday, opened it Tuesday morning and everything was fine. Left it on the counter and then by Tuesday evening the blueberries were covered in furry mould and the strawberries looked odd :(

I'm a big lover of Aldi but I've occasionally found their pre-packed fruit to be a problem - maybe I've just been storing it wrong :confused:

It's mild these days.
    Best leave berries in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I never leave lettuce in a plastic bag in the fridge :pac: It'd be gone to slime in a couple of days. I leave rocket in the plastic but with a square of kitchen towel place in at the bottom to catch all the moisture. Iceberg lettuce I always leave open on the rack(not the flat glass), near the front as it can get icy at the back.
    Broccoli and all fresh veg go in the veg tub at the bottom which is lined with more kitchen towel. Tomatoes and avocados are a pain in the butt though, I usually keep them in the fridge and remove them on a sort of ripening production line in the kitchen window.

I bought the Aldi 5% lean mince on a recommendation from this thread - worked perfectly in my chili con carne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm pleased to report that the sourdough bread toasted makes the most gawjus base for scrambled eggs and crispy bacon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The mint marinated lamb chops are really nice. They also have some other marinated lamb there, rosemary marinated lamb steaks is one and something else I can't recall at the moment.

Advertisement