Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

.red. wrote: »
    The roll out pizza bases in the fridge are lovely.
    Can of tomatoes blended, bit of mozzarella cheese and whatever takes your fancy.
    We usually get a takeaway on a Sunday but the kids have asked for "homemade" pizza for the last 2 weeks.
    They have a sliced chicken breast in the fridge with some Chinese spice coating, it goes very well on the pizza with a bit of pepperoni.

Aldi have taken the roll out pizza dough off the shelves for Xmas. I looked for it in 2 different stores and was told it was discontinued temporarily to make way for Xmas produce.

Not a happy camper as I buy it regularly! So handy over the Xmas period with people in too as you can make mini pizzas out of it for nibbles. I bought Tesco's version yesterday to try as an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mango on a pizza? This is going to be controversial :D

Not one I'd try myself but himself loved it! I went for the safer option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

MB05 wrote: »
    Aldi have taken the roll out pizza dough off the shelves for Xmas. I looked for it in 2 different stores and was told it was discontinued temporarily to make way for Xmas produce.

Not a happy camper as I buy it regularly! So handy over the Xmas period with people in too as you can make mini pizzas out of it for nibbles. I bought Tesco's version yesterday to try as an alternative.

Wondered why that was missing the last few weeks. Same for the fresh pasta sauces-anyone know if they’re just temporarily gone too and will be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not regularly, I believe, but Lidl have a coffee liqueur on offer right now, priced around 10 euro for a 500ml bottle. Sorry, can't remember its name.
    EDIT: not so sure, it may have actually been in Aldi. It was on a wooden shelf with special offers in the middle of the alley with alcohols.

It was Aldi. They have two types. I got the espresso version as it looks the closest to Kahlua but I haven't tried it yet.
    That's actually a brilliant display, lots of unusual stuff on it, but I've never noticed it as I'm always looking at the shelves. I suspect the same happens with other people.

Aldi have loads of Christmas specially selected trays in stock. I tried the prawn gyoza yesterday, was absolutely delicious! Had never steamed gyozas before but they came out beautifully.

20181212-173448-600x1067.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Dónal wrote: »
    Aldi have loads of Christmas specially selected trays in stock. I tried the prawn gyoza yesterday, was absolutely delicious! Had never steamed gyozas before but they came out beautifully.

Oh my kind of food.I ill get some tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

How are the Goyza cooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Are they frozen?

Steamed. And they're in the chilled section, not frozen.

Put strainer over boiling water, add baking paper, put gyozas on baking paper, add lid, steam for 5-7 minutes, and eat.

There's also a microwave option but steaming was ridiculously easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mango on a pizza? This is going to be controversial :D

I keep a few of the €1.49 fresh margherita pizza's in my fridge (they are usually good for about a week) and use them as a base to use up leftovers.
    MargheritaPizzaA1544791886.jpg
    My kids love:-

1. The basic margherita but tarted up with a little extra virgin olive oil, some dried oregano, a few splashes of tomato and herb passata sauce (bottle from Aldi) and a little more grated mozzarella sprinkled over the top. In the oven @ 220c for 10-12 minutes and Bob's your uncle.

2. Same as the above but with leftover grilled breast of chicken and ...........wait for it........ pineapple pieces with some chili oil (also sold by Aldi) drizzled over the top and finished off with a sprinkle of grated mozzarella.

Keeping these pots of pineapple on hand is really useful.
    3882101544791648.png
    Obviously you can only then slice the pizzas into 8 slices not 12 as no one could ever eat 12 slices of pizza :-)

Seasons greetings all!!

• Advertisement

Couldn't find this today, I was rushing so only had a quick search.. Where is it, I looked in fridge near pizzas etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Couldn't find this today, I was rushing so only had a quick search.. Where is it, I looked in fridge near pizzas etc?

I'm not sure about these but the party food in my Aldi is with the ready meals!

Not near the pizzas in my Aldi (Blessington) but they're beside the cheese. There's a whole bunch of the specially selected range for Christmas together in the fridges.

Not near the pizzas in my Aldi (Blessington) but they're beside the cheese. There's a whole bunch of the specially selected range for Christmas together in the fridges.

Thanks..will hopefully pick them up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Gyoza are gorgeous!
    The sauce is good. Nice with sweet chilli sauce too!
    I didn't check if any other type of dumplings available?
    I ate a whole pack as my dinner yesterday :D

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The Gyoza are gorgeous!
    The sauce is good. Nice with sweet chilli sauce too!
    I didn't check if any other type of dumplings available?
    I ate a whole pack as my dinner yesterday :D

I saw a vegetable one and a prawn gyoza. Picked up another packet today, had them with the wife for lunch!

I saw a vegetable one and a prawn gyoza. Picked up another packet today, had them with the wife for lunch!

You ate your wife? 😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't expect to see Bao buns + meat kits in the SS christmas section in my Aldi today. Those buns are usually a rip off so may give it a look.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specially-selected-hirata-buns/p/086788258076500

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks for the recommendation of the Prawn Gyoza. Just gorgeous. Had them just there now. Also picked up a pack of the vegetarian ones as well.

I bought a pack of specially selected dips. Also really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Big nope from me on the onion rings. Don't think they're anything like chipper ones. Have that horrible onion flavoured thing going on rather than a proper onion taste iykwim. I'd struggle to tell them from the cheaper ones in a blind tasting tbh.

I would recommend the frozen cauliflower and cheese. I only use it if I'm doing something else in the oven as the cooking time is 40 mins. It comes out quite soft but cauliflower is one of the few vegetables i don't like with a bit of 'bite'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Big nope from me on the onion rings.
    were these aldi ones? right thread?

the onion rings were discussed in the lidl thread, and even mentioned aldi being bad
    Ryath wrote: »
    Just had a few as a snack. They really are very good best frozen onion rings I've had. The aldi ones are very poor in comparison. Are they a special or regular product?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

rubadub wrote:
    were these aldi ones? right thread?

rubadub wrote:
    the onion rings were discussed in the lidl thread, and even mentioned aldi being bad

D'oh :(

That might explains it alright lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Saw venson steaks in Aldi earliier, 9.99 for 400g which I think is another price jump as Im sure I bought them in Aldi before for 7.99. The supplier is Wild Irish Game who supply Avoca and other premium shops so that could explain it. I really need to find a hunter local to me who sells off their venson, if I had a reliable suppy for a decent price Id be horsing it down all winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had the Prawn Gyoza earlier for lunch very tasty. Might have a go at making my own. Type of food I love having but don't get to eat often enough. Wife does't eat fish, lamb, game or pork! Though she does like chorizo, sausages, rashers and pudding! And kids are a bit fussy too so family dinners usually have to be played fairly safe or having to do few options if I want try out something a bit out the ordinary. Oldest daughter is improving though she does at least like duck and prawns and becoming a little more adventurous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone else get the Specially Selected orange juice with bits?

I've noticed lately it "going off" quickly - it goes slightly fizzy and very sharp-tasting.

I thought it was because I wasn't using it within the 2 days recommended after opening (I never manage that with anything, ever!) - but having ditched the end of the last bottle because it had become undrinkable, I've just opened one fresh this morning and it's exactly the same - still has a week to go on the BB date.

The receipt is long gone so I suspect there's no point in bringing it back.

Maybe that's the way it's meant to taste, but it's not very pleasant! I've never noticed it happening with M&S or Tropicana juices (at twice the price :()

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone else get the Specially Selected orange juice with bits?

I've noticed lately it "going off" quickly - it goes slightly fizzy and very sharp-tasting.

I thought it was because I wasn't using it within the 2 days recommended after opening (I never manage that with anything, ever!) - but having ditched the end of the last bottle because it had become undrinkable, I've just opened one fresh this morning and it's exactly the same - still has a week to go on the BB date.

The receipt is long gone so I suspect there's no point in bringing it back.

Maybe that's the way it's meant to taste, but it's not very pleasant! I've never noticed it happening with M&S or Tropicana juices (at twice the price :()
    Yeah I stopped drinking that after I got a completely vile bottle once, cant look at it now and it used to be my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Since they changed it from a cardboard carton to the bottle, there's definitely something different about it.
    I hate the way they can't just leave stuff alone.
    If it's not broke, then don't fix it!

On another note, I tried the chicken and mango flatbread pizza last night. Very nice. Much lighter than a traditional one. I'll buy it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I tried the frozen honey glazed roasted parsnips tonight and they're delicious.

• Advertisement

Prosecco is BOGOF tomorrow only.

Advertisement