Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Prosecco is BOGOF tomorrow only.

Just Aldi?

I'm only asking because I'm due to buy 8 bottles today for the house and neighbours, but so far as my wife's concerned, Lidls prosecco (with the mushroom cork type) is streets ahead in both taste and quality of Aldi (or elsewhere).

Lidl and Aldi usually do counter offers to each other so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just Aldi?

I'm only asking because I'm due to buy 8 bottles today for the house and neighbours, but so far as my wife's concerned, Lidls prosecco (with the mushroom cork type) is streets ahead in both taste and quality of Aldi (or elsewhere).

Lidl and Aldi usually do counter offers to each other so fingers crossed.

It’s Aldi only. It’s a bogof offer for today only. From 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

vicwatson wrote: »
    It’s Aldi only. It’s a bogof offer for today only. From 10.30

1 offer per customer too in case you try getting a trolley full!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Dont know has this been mentioned before now (probably) but the "Needle" gin is absolutely fantastic. Would likely say its the best gin you could buy for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jesus, way to draw a crowd Aldi!!! Bedlam in East Wall with free Prosecco offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Dont know has this been mentioned before now (probably) but the "Needle" gin is absolutely fantastic. Would likely say its the best gin you could buy for €20.

It is very nice, alright.
    Pretty sure it's €25 for a 50cl bottle,though.

All half price Prosecco sold out by 10:47 here!

Edit: Also, all the gyozas were also gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

D wrote: »

Edit: Also, all the gyozas were also gone.

Haven't seen them since last week and 2 stores now!

I wonder if theyve any more on the way. They were Fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

All the black forest mince pies are gone and apparently they're not getting in any more :(
    I got the last two cartoons of salted caramel cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

All the black forest mince pies are gone and apparently they're not getting in any more :(
    I got the last two cartoons of salted caramel cream.

Aldi had two generic type packets of mince pies today. The amount of crap included in the Ingredient lists was enough to leave them there tbh.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Aldi had two generic type packets of mince pies today. The amount of crap included in the Ingredient lists was enough to leave them there tbh.

It’s Christmas, lots of things are full of crap. Who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I find the generic aldi ones (ie: just mince pies as opposed to any of the flavoured ones) really really sweet, and not in a good way.

With that amount of ****e - no thanks. Mince pies arnt rocket science

Btw I don't mind the good kind of crap - there was ****e listed best left in the chemical laboratory than ingredients ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Btw I don't mind the good kind of crap - there was ****e listed best left in the chemical laboratory than ingredients ...

I'm with you.
    The all butter ones from Iceland (not frozen!) for €2.50 are gorgeous.

Oh leave it out. It’s christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Everything, the entire universe, including you and I are chemicals in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

N3CBTxA.jpg

If these are the pies in question the bad ingredients seems to be an emulsifier (probably in the margarine in the pastry), palm oil (which is best avoided for ethical reasons), and one preservative - potassium sorbate.

Hardly dow chemical in a pastry case.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I certainly hope there’s no dihydrogen monoxide in them, that stuff is everywhere these days

Oh leave it out. It’s christmas

I agree. I truely wish they would leave the ****e out ;)
    I certainly hope there’s no dihydrogen monoxide in them, that stuff is everywhere these days

You who are so wise - tell us why you don't like water?
    B0jangles wrote: »
    If these are the pies in question the bad ingredients seems to be an emulsifier (probably in the margarine in the pastry), palm oil (which is best avoided for ethical reasons), and one preservative - potassium sorbate.
    Hardly dow chemical in a pastry case.

Nope. I didn't take a photo. But will do next time. Afair the main ingredient was glucose-fructose followed by a bunch of other chemical sweeteners and various soy derived leftovers and lots of ingredients I guarantee you won't find in any recipe book.

Tbh I don't really give a fig(!) If anyone wants to eat this type of rubbish or otherwise. Though tbh it's amazing the amount of people imo who never check what is in products. There's plenty of good stuff out there if you keep an eye out.

I agree. I truely wish they would leave the ****e out ;)

Well just don’t buy it, or are you being forced to buy and eat them?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well just don’t buy it, or are you being forced to buy and eat them?:rolleyes:

Did you actually read the original comment or is that just some useless pointless commentary?
    I didn't buy the product and I won't be eating it funnily enough. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: & etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Anyone tried the organic Prosecco?

Bought a couple for Christmas day, so hoping it justifies the price over the regular stuff..

Organic-Prosecco-A.jpg?o=AuxR%2524oAC4cYbxbPr8aOiXoXBvEIj&V=Bw88&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

edit: feckin £8 on the UK site - €14.99 here :mad:

UsedToWait wrote: »

Bought a couple for Christmas day, so hoping it justifies the price over the regular stuff..

Organic-Prosecco-A.jpg?o=AuxR%2524oAC4cYbxbPr8aOiXoXBvEIj&V=Bw88&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Their Organic Pinot Grigio is lovely so assume their Prosecco would be the same.

Now with my Mod Santa hat on, bickering about mince pies stops here please

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We tax sparkling wines at 200% of non-sparkling rates here. UK adds a small premium over still wine instead.

Basically its a rather dated luxury tax idea from when champagne was the only sparkling in town and was mostly drunk by the very rich.

Add higher VAT and higher trading costs here and you're closing the cost gap significantly. Also they may be loss-leading in the UK to get people in the doors as their domestic economy is in a ditch and retail hasn't been as bad since 2008/9

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bought a couple for Christmas day, so hoping it justifies the price over the regular stuff

I’ve tried this a few times and I think it’s lovely.

engiweirdo wrote: »

Went searching for this the other day, and couldn't find it, what's the name I should be looking for please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Went searching for this the other day, and couldn't find it, what's the name I should be looking for please ?

Needle Blackforest Gin

Yep, definitely sold out.

They're not even showing up that there was ever a space for them on the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

Just polished off a box of mature cheddar cheese and onion souflettes from the specially selected range. They were yum

Advertisement