Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tried a new fruit in Aldi called Honey Pomelo. It is imported from China. Quite nice and not as citric as an orange. Ideal for kids.

http://www.gettystewart.com/honey-pomelo-what-is-it-how-to-peel-it-what-to-do-with-it/

Honey pomelos are the biz alright, like a big grapefruit, only without that bitter aftertaste, it's got a honey like sweetness to it.

I think modern day oranges came about by crossing pomelos with grapefruit from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Salmon Sensation is gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

vicwatson wrote: »

What's the salmon sensation? Love salmon. Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

vicwatson wrote: »

Found it a wee bit salty....love ANY salmon sensations though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Had the vegetarian pudding in the new store in Graiguenamanagh in Kilkenny on Saturday. It's made by one of the best butchers in Ireland. He's won numerous prizes for his "real" pudding. I haven't tasted it yet so can't comment on what it's like.

Where in store did you find it? My local is always placing the veggie stuff all over the place :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

2013Lara wrote: »
    What's the salmon sensation? Love salmon. Sounds interesting.

Salmon (obs) cucumber and dill, it’s in a mayo type sauce, Very nice on toast or the likes. Think it was 2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Cant find the vegetarian pudding is it a once off thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Cant find the vegetarian pudding is it a once off thing?

Hi autumnbelle. Is it also vegan?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi autumnbelle. Is it also vegan?

Don't think it's vegan as I think there are eggs among its ingredients. I know nothing about veganism but I think that rules it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Don't think it's vegan as I think there are eggs among its ingredients. I know nothing about veganism but I think that rules it out?
    Hi Bahanaman. Yes, eggs are out. Thanks for letting me know.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aldi has a stove fan in their specials today..... anyone know if they are any good or complete rubbish (stove fans in general, and this one in particular)??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone tried the picanha steaks?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Bought Brannan’s Thick Cut rashers a few months ago, they were gack. Forgot, bought them again the other day and remembered after the first bite why I resolved never to buy them again the last time. Really awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bought Brannan’s Thick Cut rashers a few months ago, they were gack. Forgot, bought them again the other day and remembered after the first bite why I resolved never to buy them again the last time. Really awful.

The maple flavour ones are ok. Have to be careful grilling them not to over cook them. Also have to look at the back of the packet to make sure your not buying a pack of fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Anyone try the velo coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The minute steaks are great. €3.69 I think? Loads for two. Could probably squeeze 3 out of a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

The maple flavour ones are ok. Have to be careful grilling them not to over cook them. Also have to look at the back of the packet to make sure your not buying a pack of fat.

I swear by the maple ones. Eat them every weekend. Love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Aldi has a stove fan in their specials today..... anyone know if they are any good or complete rubbish (stove fans in general, and this one in particular)??

Dunno about the Aldi fan but stove fans are great and make a huge difference to a room with a stove. Have one for a few years and wouldn't be without it.

Kevg268 wrote: »
    Dunno about the Aldi fan but stove fans are great and make a huge difference to a room with a stove. Have one for a few years and wouldn't be without it.

Gah, going by other reports I'd read I was going to give it back!

Now I don't know whether to risk opening it or not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Moghead wrote: »
    Anyone try the velo coffee?

I was tempted - saw it today, but couldn't see a roast date on any of the bags so left it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kevg268 wrote: »

Can I ask whats the big difference you notice over not having one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I don't have one but thought it was a good idea, blowing air around the room a bit like a fan heater rather than just having a central static thing roasting hot.

Quick search on amazon finds 20+ and all are rated 4-5stars
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stove+fan

so I would guess they certainly work OK, unless there is something in particular problematic with the aldi one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

Muahahaha wrote: »

The fan throws the hot air outwards into the room instead of it rising. It heats the room faster. I thought it would be a gimmick but delighted that I have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Got one from Aldi a year or more ago - looks the same model - definitely moves the warm air out into the room. Read the placement instructions carefully, as stove exhaust/chimney pipe can be in different locations, e.g. back or top of stove. If I remember correctly, it should sit to one side, in front of the pipe. It does take a short while to start working as the stove has to get to a reasonable temperature, so be patient! Very happy with ours.

If you have a curious cat, be warned, they will find it fascinating which could spell trouble!

If it doesn't work for you, I expect you could take it back for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

My parents have one, they say it distributes the heat, quality is good. Keep the packaging & return if u're not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Anyone know i the fan works with a back boiler stove ? and will it work with a curved top on the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Does Aldi still do it's specially selected maple syrup?
    I've run out and hope they'll have it back in time for pancake day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They have the Maple Syrup all the time.

Back to the stove fan again..... I've just realised the pipe goes up the chimney!

Anyone know if this will work with only the heat of the body of the stove? They go on about placing it to one side of the pipe, so I wonder if that's necessary to make it work....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seeing as we've abandoned talking about food...

Did anyone get the 5 plug surge protector in any Aldi last week? They were in the brochure for DIY week but none came into Bray or Greystones...

Advertisement