Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

Fab new flavoured infusions...silk teabags n all!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aldi's Gluten free lemon cake, lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I wonder if the rum flavour is like the cucumber tastebud thing. I tried that chocolate due to some folk here raving about it and took one bite & binned the rest. Uurgh! Just had a fake, weird, strong taste to me. Not of rum at all.
    (I will literally drink rum straight so no problems with that flavour :pac:)

I didnt throw it away but never bought it again. Same after raving reports here.

Strong "rum" taste indeed but it is the kind of rum you can also fly planes on.
    Dont mind a strong rum taste but it needs to nice rum.

And i really like rum\raisin ice cream, usually called malaga that you can not get anywhere on this island.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I wonder if the rum flavour is like the cucumber tastebud thing. I tried that chocolate due to some folk here raving about it and took one bite & binned the rest. Uurgh! Just had a fake, weird, strong taste to me. Not of rum at all.

I don’t really care for rum normally, so maybe that’s part of it? If you like rum as a drink, this chocolate might not be nice. If you don’t like rum as a drink, you might like the chocolate!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Faith wrote: »
    That's my favourite thing about it :D. I ate some at work once and got a bit concerned someone would think I'd been drinking on my lunch break.

ahahha - yeah. I was slightly worried I wouldn't be OK to drive - it had a proper alcohol aftertaste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm an avid Aldi shopper and have been for many years. I love the quality of their products but I am increasingly frustrated by two issues:-

1. Their fresh fruit and to a lesser extent veg is very poor quality and tends to have very short shelf life left by the time it gets to the store.

2. The amount of stock outages for regular/standard products e.g. bagels or fresh herbs etc is a real pain in the a$$.

I end up going to Tesco or Lidl (who's fruit and veg I find to be much much better than Aldi's) in order to complete my shop which is really inconvenient.

Mini rant over :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

inforfun wrote: »
    I didnt throw it away but never bought it again. Same after raving reports here.

Strong "rum" taste indeed but it is the kind of rum you can also fly planes on.
    Dont mind a strong rum taste but it needs to nice rum.

And i really like rum\raisin ice cream, usually called malaga that you can not get anywhere on this island.
    I don’t really care for rum normally, so maybe that’s part of it? If you like rum as a drink, this chocolate might not be nice. If you don’t like rum as a drink, you might like the chocolate!

Yeah I was moaning about it recently. That weird cheap smelly scotch or rum taste I got from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

fin12 wrote: »
    Or Cork Blackpool?

Sorry, Cork Blackpool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Straight-Cut-Chips-B.jpg?o=w6FKFrV03m6U3hsf%24mrT4tzNPPcj&V=opfE&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The croquet potatoes in the chill cabinet are lovely. Not cheap at €1.99 for 6 chunky ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The croquet potatoes in the chill cabinet are lovely. Not cheap at €1.99 for 6 chunky ones

They are nicer than Mash Direct.
    We got them before Christmas. One packet was a little off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Must keep an eye out for these.
    Sounds like what my local butcher has for around 3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Must keep an eye out for these.
    Sounds like what my local butcher has for around 3.50

There's a sweet potato version of them too, but I wouldn't be interested in those

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

2. The amount of stock outages for regular/standard products e.g. bagels or fresh herbs etc is a real pain in the a$$.

Would agree with this, there is often something I need missing from the shelves lately. Also in my local there is a 3 metre section of freezers that have nothing in it for weeks now, just empty freezers sitting there. Lots of space in them for frozen chicken wings but none available since about early December. Really wish I had the option of a local Lidl to complement Aldi but don't unfortunately.

I have noticed items going discontinued at Aldi/Lidl and some of the time form what I know when a contract is up with a supplier they don't renew it for various reasons.
    Another thing is a good few own brand items have gone out of stock in my local Tesco since the start of the year and are now back in new packaging. It's meant to because of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No soy sauce in Aldi now for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its really random, I think Aldi in Bray might be particularly bad though, no tuna for a month a while back, random lotto whether I end up buying skimmed/organic/regular milk these days because the other just wont be there, no bags of broccoli the other day, no carrots before that (for weeks!), no pesto whenever I want it, sesame seed brioche burger buns that disappear for whole chunks of the year. First world problems but it really feels like they're deliberately targeting me sometimes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No parmesan in Swords Aldi for the past two weeks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No spaghetti in Childers Rd, Limerick last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just tried Aldi picalilli (my first time ever trying!) not sure if its a new product to Aldi but I thought it was really nice

• Advertisement

No chocolate chips for baking in Aldi Blessington for the last few weeks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The Belgian chocolate cheesecake is insanely good. Like M&S good! Possibly one of the nicest shop bought desserts I’ve ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Had 2 roisin's chocolate bars (80g) over this past weekend - butterscotch and Atlantic sea salted caramel. Both were absolutely delicious, similar in flavour (and packaging!) to lily o’ Breins bars (which incidentally are on offer in dunnes atm fir 2 for €3).

I usually prefer dark chocolate, but am also a fiend for decent milk chocolate. These are very sweet but superior quality to the likes of Cadbury.

Anyone have any idea who makes ‘roisin's chocolate’ for Aldi? A google search is throwing up nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’d imagine you possibly answered your own question. If they’re very similar to Lily O’ Briens, then it might well be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they’re very similar to Lily O’ Briens, then it might well be them.
    I see them mentioned here

https://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=402998
    But if you don't mind about the brand name, you can buy LIlly O Brien's in ALdi. They're sold there under the brand 'Roisin's'

A tip for spotting who makes what is to compare ingredients lists and packaging, they can use odd wording for some things that can be repeated. e.g. here is a lily product, notice the use of brackets etc.
    Ingredients
    Milk Chocolate 45% [Sugar, Whole Milk Powder, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Natural Vanilla Flavouring], Sticky Toffee Caramel 40% (Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Skimmed Milk (Milk, Sugar), Vegetable Fat (Coconut), Butter Fat (Milk), Reduced Fat Cocoa Powder, Salt, Natural Flavouring), Dark Chocolate 15% [Cocoa Mass, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Natural Vanilla Flavouring], Milk Chocolate contains Cocoa Solids 30% minimum, Milk Solids, 20% minimum, Dark Chocolate contains Cocoa Solids 55% minimum

If you can get plain chocolate the nutritional info might be identical, though they can change the recipe so it might be different yet still made by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Their malted sour dough farmhouse loaves are great.

Just had a sandwich made with one, which I stuffed with roast beef, some cheese coleslaw, squirt of French's mustard and another squirt of a youghurt/mint sauce they're currently selling.

It was sandwich heaven.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

rubadub wrote: »
    I see them mentioned here

https://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=402998

A tip for spotting who makes what is to compare ingredients lists and packaging, they can use odd wording for some things that can be repeated. e.g. here is a lily product, notice the use of brackets etc.

If you can get plain chocolate the nutritional info might be identical, though they can change the recipe so it might be different yet still made by them.

There's usuall in export number or something on a product. You can look it up and it tells you who makes it. Like their Vintage White Chedar is made by Bandon Vale who make fancy cheeses in wax that cost about 5 times as much as the Aldi one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Sometimes if you scan things on MyFitnessPal or the equivalent it comes up with surprising results! Like the own brand will mention a branded item, or something from Aldi might come up as a Tesco own brand item where they obviously are made at the same factory.

I saw the chocolate chips Today but they were marked new!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

They have new curry chips and dirty fries in foil trays that you do in the oven. Thought they were nice. 2.99 a pack.

Advertisement