Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Their malted sour dough farmhouse loaves are great.

Agree, it's the go to slice pan in our house.
    and another squirt of a youghurt/mint sauce they're currently selling.

Yeah, didn't think I'd like it but used it in a pitta pocket stuffed with lettuce, some diced stir fried left over roast lamb (with spring onions, finely chopped birds eye chilli, coriander etc) and topped with grated mature cheddar cheese and it brought a nice cooling Tzatziki type vibe to the whole thing.

I really wish Aldi would expand their Hummus range and include things like Tzatziki and in particular Taramasalata. They'd sell a lot more pitta bread if they did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Agree, it's the go to slice pan in our house.

Yeah, didn't think I'd like it but used it in a pitta pocket stuffed with lettuce, some diced stir fried left over roast lamb (with spring onions, finely chopped birds eye chilli, coriander etc) and topped with grated mature cheddar cheese and it brought a nice cooling Tzatziki type vibe to the whole thing.

I really wish Aldi would expand their Hummus range and include things like Tzatziki and in particular Taramasalata. They'd sell a lot more pitta bread if they did!!

They have loads of different flavours of hummus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not a recommendation, but our Aldi in Bray has just reopened after being closed for 4 days for refurbishment. I can't find anything now, although it is an improvement overall. There seems to be more room somehow, and it feels a lot more open and fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Alun wrote: »
    Not a recommendation, but our Aldi in Bray has just reopened after being closed for 4 days for refurbishment. I can't find anything now, although it is an improvement overall. There seems to be more room somehow, and it feels a lot more open and fresher.

It takes an age to find stuff after the refurbs. Not even the staff know where stuff is :)

Cazale wrote: »
    They have new curry chips and dirty fries in foil trays that you do in the oven. Thought they were nice. 2.99 a pack.

Are these in the chilled section with the prepped veg and the likes or....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

vicwatson wrote:
    Are these in the chilled section with the prepped veg and the likes or....?

They are with the sausage rolls and hummus etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Alun wrote:
    I can't find anything now, although it is an improvement overall. There seems to be more room somehow, and it feels a lot more open and fresher.

I live equal distance between two Aldi. One of the new layout and the other is the older layout. It gets confusing quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We got the refurbishment last year.
    Personally I didn't notice much new apart from the odd thing that would have popped up anyway but they have more toilet rolls/etc.
    The main difference was they added an extra isle and made it longer. Before it was handy to nip around to pick up the essentials. You could even skip an isle. It used be popular with men. Now you've to walk around every isle to get the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah its not just a case of change is bad with those refurbished Aldis, they are genuinely hard to navigate, I literally could not find the eggs this evening, I was starting to think they'd forgotten to put them back out by my third lap of the shop, the meat aisle is just a traffic jam now aswell, it combines 100% of the people entering the shop with the usual crowd inspecting every packet. I suppose we wont notice in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Not food, but their white Pinot Grigio "Aimone" is very very nice for 7 euro.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah its not just a case of change is bad with those refurbished Aldis, they are genuinely hard to navigate, I literally could not find the eggs this evening, I was starting to think they'd forgotten to put them back out by my third lap of the shop, the meat aisle is just a traffic jam now aswell, it combines 100% of the people entering the shop with the usual crowd inspecting every packet. I suppose we wont notice in a couple of months.
    I think there is some improvement. The meat being on the right hand side, where the aisle is wider, is better than when it was against the back wall which was quite narrow. The new freezers with the wall cabinets have freed up some space too for other stuff. As for the eggs, they're in odd places in every shop I've ever been in. They don't really fit into any category so end up being dumped in with other random stuff, previously flour and sugar. I'll have to go egg hunting today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They seem to have changed the harvest morn bran flakes - a new size box and they are much bittier/thinner flakes and not as fresh tasting :( The old ones were much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has anyone seen the lullaby milk anywhere? Can't get it in either of the Limerick stores anymore.
    Childers Rd, Limerick seem to be out of everything recently. It's starting to be a real pain.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They seem to have changed the harvest morn bran flakes - a new size box and they are much bittier/thinner flakes and not as fresh tasting :( The old ones were much nicer.

I swear their Cheerio type things are smaller now too. Still taste the same but definitely tiny now.

I've seen things change in Aldi/Tesco lately.
    It's rumored to do with Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Got the Stegen Diane sauce a few weeks before Xmas ,absolutely delicious,hasn't been there since only pepper and mushroom.....have asked for more...no luck

I've seen things change in Aldi/Tesco lately.
    It's rumored to do with Brexit!

Aw man, jobs losses, hard borders and shortages I can take, but I want my old bran flakes back dammit!!:mad::mad:

Aw man, jobs losses, hard borders and shortages I can take, but I want my old bran flakes back dammit!!:mad::mad:

It's the World we live in.
    I want a nice cold bottle of Lucozade but due to the sugar tax I'm never going to get it.

For anyone with a Dolce Gusto coffee pod machine I can recommend the new range of Aldi own brand Alcafe pods they recently introduced, in particular the Americano which has a nicely rounded full flavour.

IMG201901291141221549242969.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got Corn wraps last week which I assume are new. Only 15% corn (Old el paso ones are 27%) but were quite nice for some burritos last night. Nice change from plain wheat ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

For anyone with a Dolce Gusto coffee pod machine I can recommend the new range of Aldi own brand Alcafe pods they recently introduced, in particular the Americano which has a nicely rounded full flavour.

IMG201901291141221549242969.jpg

Does anyone know if Aldi make pods for Tassimo machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Low calorie snacking- the Harvest Moon rice & chocolate bars, box of 5 in strawberry flavour. About 90 cals a bar, just dont eat them all in two days as I did :o

SozBbz wrote: »

I don't believe it's possible to make generic/compatible Tassimo pods as Tassimo use proprietary bar codes on each pod which the machine reads in order to select how to process the drink i.e. how much water to process, hot or cold etc.

Aldi do however have actual Tassimo branded capsules in their "specials" section on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The Roisins cookie clusters are lovely!!! In the boxes beside the bars of chocolates

Chick peas seem to have disappeared from the tinned pulses section in my Aldi again!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,697 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's a new crisps range in, large bags, Cassidys, packaging looks v similar to O'Donnels, and also they are gluten free. Priced at €1.40.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Chick peas seem to have disappeared from the tinned pulses section in my Aldi again!

This happened a month or so ago but they returned thankfully! They are the same price in Lidl and Tesco if it helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

SozBbz wrote: »

They don't, and unfortunately it's a Tassimo machine I have myself, since that's my wife (non coffee drinker!) bought as a present a couple of years ago instead of one of the other types.

I generally buy the pods on Amazon. Usually £18 to £19 for five boxes of them (i.e. 80 pods). That's about €21 to €22, so about €4.50 per box, rather than the €5.99 they tend to go for in the supermarkets.

Their mixed beans tins seem to be gone also

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Their mixed beans tins seem to be gone also
    Loads of those in mine here in Bray, along with the usual kidney beans and cannelini beans and a relative newcomer, black eye beans. Not a chick pea to be seen though.

Advertisement