Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just in the middle of making a chilli with their mince/red lentil stuff, and I'm really unsure how it's gonna be.

Didn't exactly breakdown the way I'm used to having my beef mince break down, this is more of a porridge consistency to it if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm letting it simmer for twenty minutes or so before I tip in beans etc, maybe they will improve the consistency I'll wait and see.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just in the middle of making a chilli with their mince/red lentil stuff, and I'm really unsure how it's gonna be.

Didn't exactly breakdown the way I'm used to having my beef mince break down, this is more of a porridge consistency to it if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm letting it simmer for twenty minutes or so before I tip in beans etc, maybe they will improve the consistency I'll wait and see.......

What is it? Red lentils do go quite porridgey, don't overcook them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What is "mince/red lentil stuff"??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What is it? Red lentils do go quite porridgey, don't overcook them.

Turned out not too bad in the end up.

No complaints at all on the taste, consistency and look.

IMG-20190210-172041.jpg

IMG-20190210-172055.jpg

Alun wrote: »
    What is "mince/red lentil stuff"??

It's lean mince with lentils added to the ground meat, so you have a mince that is made up of beef/lentils.

First time I bought it tbh, prob will again, no complaints from the kids either.

IMG-20190210-175147.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The mince sounds a bit bizarre.

• Advertisement

Zelda247 wrote: »
    The mince sounds a bit bizarre.
    Yes, it does a bit. Tbh if you wanted to mix beef with red lentils, just chuck some dried red lentils in with some normal mince, they cook really quickly, and would probably be cheaper.

Yes, it does a bit. Tbh if you wanted to mix beef with red lentils, just chuck some dried red lentils in with some normal mince, they cook really quickly, and would probably be cheaper.

I would have gone with brown or puy lentils to mix with beef as they keep their structure. It's a good mix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Yeah, what will they come up with next. I can understand trying to make some kind of vegetarian mince substitute with lentils.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I would have gone with brown or puy lentils to mix with beef as they keep their structure. It's a good mix though.
    True, flavour wise, but they need a good bit more cooking time.

True, flavour wise, but they need a good bit more cooking time.

Yes, I would cook them separately then drain before adding to cooked mince. Otherwise there's too much water in the mince.

It's a good idea though, helps with the cost of the meat and healthier too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Would it make a good burger I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I bought the Specially Selected Malted Sourdough. When the sourdough first appeared it was very nice for a sliced pan, then it became inedible at some stage and I stopped buying it. I was hoping they might have tweaked the recipe now that it's malted, but nope, still tastes of nothing, strange texture. Won't be buying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Space Dog wrote: »
    I bought the Specially Selected Malted Sourdough. When the sourdough first appeared it was very nice for a sliced pan, then it became inedible at some stage and I stopped buying it. I was hoping they might have tweaked the recipe now that it's malted, but nope, still tastes of nothing, strange texture. Won't be buying again.
    I came on to post about this very thing!

I think it's nice - when I bought it a while ago, it was white bread - this is brown and grainy.

It still bears absolutely no relation to any actual sourdough as far as I'm concerned, but I think it's a perfectly nice sliced pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Turned out not too bad in the end up.

No complaints at all on the taste, consistency and look.

IMG-20190210-172041.jpg

IMG-20190210-172055.jpg

It's lean mince with lentils added to the ground meat, so you have a mince that is made up of beef/lentils.

First time I bought it tbh, prob will again, no complaints from the kids either.

IMG-20190210-175147.jpg

I got the mince with the haricot beans in them.It was actually quite nice.

Also got the thai style veggie burgers.They where fab,really tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The frozen Emmental and Ham Jambons are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

What’s the nicest steaks there, I know they have been recommended a few times but can’t find it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Gal44 wrote: »
    What’s the nicest steaks there, I know they have been recommended a few times but can’t find it. Thanks

The Angus fillet steaks are beautiful. €12 I think for 2, but the odd time they go on offer for around €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The rib eyes in the black, vac packed tray would be my favourite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

These - they're consistently good.

IMG-5990.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

These - they're consistently good.

I agree 100% and use these if I'm having a "steak" dinner but if I'm making something like a Cambodian Hot and Sour Beef Salad I'd often use the much cheaper but pretty good quality regular "red label" rib eye or sirloin steaks. For €6 - €8 they are an excellent option when you're not just cooking a piece of steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I do like the beef medallions (€5 i think) for those kind of salads and stir fries.
    Not that knowledgeable to be able to tell what part of the cow it is, but my knifes fall through them, so tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Recommending to avoid... they replaced the Moser Roth chilli individual chic bars in pack with a single slab in "new" packagin.
    Cocoa content down from 52% to 47%, completely different recipe and taste. Thumbs down and now dropping a regular purchase item for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭donegal_man

fmul9798 wrote: »
    ...they replaced the Moser Roth chilli individual chic bars in pack with a single slab in "new" packagin...

Aww, they were lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Recommending to avoid... they replaced the Moser Roth chilli individual chic bars in pack with a single slab in "new" packagin.
    Cocoa content down from 52% to 47%, completely different recipe and taste. Thumbs down and now dropping a regular purchase item for me....

They did that a while back too, but eventually brought back the original ones. Hopefully they'll do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

fmul9798 wrote:
    Recommending to avoid... they replaced the Moser Roth chilli individual chic bars in pack with a single slab in "new" packagin. Cocoa content down from 52% to 47%, completely different recipe and taste.

That was a while back but they've since gone back to the original 5 bar pack. The single slab bar didn't seem to be in stock for very long.

nc6000 wrote: »
    That was a while back but they've since gone back to the original 5 bar pack. The single slab bar didn't seem to be in stock for very long.

Yes that was a strange one - they didn't seem to give it very long as a trial. Maybe it was a supplier issue dispute or something? Either way I hope they keep the 85% the same!

Ugh just spotted the "new" full bar "lindt-esque" ones are back in all the flavours including 85% - hope it's not permanent and the old ones survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ugh just spotted the "new" full bar "lindt-esque" ones are back in all the flavours including 85% - hope it's not permanent and the old ones survive!

Yes, it looks like they are actually back. I picked up a chilli one and a normal chilli 5 pack and the full bar is 47% v 52% in the 5 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I agree 100% and use these if I'm having a "steak" dinner but if I'm making something like a Cambodian Hot and Sour Beef Salad I'd often use the much cheaper but pretty good quality regular "red label" rib eye or sirloin steaks. For €6 - €8 they are an excellent option when you're not just cooking a piece of steak.

That salad sounds lovely.Im giving it a go

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the beef medallions in the red packs? Think they are in the super 6 at the moment - they look a bit like fillets but I imagine they would not be as tender - are they very tough?

Advertisement