Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Has anyone tried the beef medallions in the red packs? Think they are in the super 6 at the moment - they look a bit like fillets but I imagine they would not be as tender - are they very tough?

I've tried them few times, not bad given the price. Make sure to pick the thicker ones as sometimes they are flat as pancakes and don't cook nor look that well on a plate.

Decent budget option. Not sure what cut they are to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Anyone tried the loaded fries yet? Are they nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone tried the loaded fries yet? Are they nice?
    They look disgusting in the packet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Thargor wrote: »
    They look disgusting in the packet anyway.

The dirty fries from m&s look disgusting too but taste gorgeous 😂🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I had the cheese and jalapeno ones. Tasty enough ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tried the Aldi answer to Kinder Bueno today (are they new? I don't go down that aisle often but definitely never say them before!) and they're really good! The chocolate isn't quite as nice as on the real ones, and the whole thing is a bit less delicate, but the hazelnut filling is delicious - not quite as creamy and smooth as the real deal, but very close. They also do one with a chocolatey filling but I'm all about the hazelnuts!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Tried the Aldi answer to Kinder Bueno today (are they new? I don't go down that aisle often but definitely never say them before!) and they're really good! The chocolate isn't quite as nice as on the real ones, and the whole thing is a bit less delicate, but the hazelnut filling is delicious - not quite as creamy and smooth as the real deal, but very close. They also do one with a chocolatey filling but I'm all about the hazelnuts!

I wonder what name they came up with for this one?

Kidbueno?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

wonski wrote: »

Kidbueno?

Kinda Bueno

Kinda Bueno

Hilarious. Haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

vicwatson wrote: »
    The frozen Emmental and Ham Jambons are delicious.

I've never had a jambon in my life but got these on your recommendation.
    Very tasty ....pastry lovely and light and cheese lovely. Handy to have a few packs in back of freezer for a random lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Very tasty ....pastry lovely and light and cheese lovely. Handy to have a few packs in back of freezer for a random lunch.

Not the healthiest but sure.....an extra mile on the run, be grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

So this isn't strictly (or at all!!) Food related but does relate to Aldi

Does anybody remember when they started stocking sun cream last year? We're going away in the middle of March and found their stuff so reasonable and good last summer. I can't remember how much but it was way cheaper than main brand stuff and no issues at all with it.

Thinking it might be a bit early for it but would love to save a few extra euro for the holidays if possible-we've two kids so cost of things like sun cream really adds up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

chocfan wrote: »

Does anybody remember when they started stocking sun cream last year? We're going away in the middle of March and found their stuff so reasonable and good last summer. I can't remember how much but it was way cheaper than main brand stuff and no issues at all with it.

Thinking it might be a bit early for it but would love to save a few extra euro for the holidays if possible-we've two kids so cost of things like sun cream really adds up!!

Where you going on hols? Loads of Aldis/Lidls in France/Spain if they haven't got sun cream in stock here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I got the factor 50 one last year, and it’s brillant, have never burned. It was €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Aldi Sandyford have it in stock (in the kitchen/personal care aisle) all year round and I agree, they are great products and just as good if not better than the much more expensive branded stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

That's great re Sandyford, might have to visit-thanks for that!

We're going to Tenerife so will have a look to see if one nearby too

Thanks all!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Aldi Sandyford have it in stock (in the kitchen/personal care aisle) all year round and I agree, they are great products and just as good if not better than the much more expensive branded stuff.

I could be wrong about this but there's a universal measure for sunscreen and it's on the bottles in the form of the little stars. The more stars the better the sunscreen. It's actually quite surprising to compare various brands and prices by their star rating. The more expensive ones are quite often lower star ratings than the cheaper own brand ones.
    Double check that before plastering your kids in something that cost 50p for a litre, but I'm pretty sure the star rating is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I could be wrong about this but there's a universal measure for sunscreen and it's on the bottles in the form of the little stars. The more stars the better the sunscreen. It's actually quite surprising to compare various brands and prices by their star rating. The more expensive ones are quite often lower star ratings than the cheaper own brand ones.
    Double check that before plastering your kids in something that cost 50p for a litre, but I'm pretty sure the star rating is what counts.

The ALDI suncream I’ve bought previously has 5 stars which is the highest rating. A lot of the common branded ones are 3 stars out of 5. The sun factor measures the protection against UVB rays and the stars measure the protection from UVA. The more stars the better the UVA protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Anyone else noticed the lack of milled linseed recently. It has been missing a few weeks now. Anyone any idea why? Potentially a change of supplier as I noticed chickpeas were missing a while but have come back this week in a different brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on the jambons. Stuck two in the airfryer for 10 minutes last night and they came out lovely. Just gotta be careful not to eat them too quick or you'll burn your mouth from the melted cheese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed the lack of milled linseed recently. It has been missing a few weeks now. Anyone any idea why? Potentially a change of supplier as I noticed chickpeas were missing a while but have come back this week in a different brand.

Pretty sure the linseed had to be recalled due to a labelling issue.
    Something to do about how it was treated with sulphur?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

whiskeyman wrote: »

This. I switched to chia seeds to keep the digestive system ticking along....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last time I was in I noticed they had frozen cartons of various herbs/ingredients that you may use less frequently - bought parsley and chopped chillis, but they had garlic, ginger and coriander too - all of which I use enough of to not bother with it.

Dear but useful for quite a lot of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

wonski wrote: »

Kidbueno?

They're called Spirals!
    They haven't gone with a direct packaging copy at all, and the shape of the bars is quite different too.
    Tried the double chocolate ones today and they're nice - not as good as the hazelnut ones, but a nice truffley filling. Noticed they also have coconut ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

L1011 wrote: »
    Last time I was in I noticed they had frozen cartons of various herbs/ingredients that you may use less frequently - bought parsley and chopped chillis, but they had garlic, ginger and coriander too - all of which I use enough of to not bother with it.

I use the ginger, chilli and Garlic ones a lot for stir frys.
    V handy if I don't have them fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

L1011 wrote: »

I've found the flavours of these frozen herbs very muted. I guess because they are frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I've found the flavours of these frozen herbs very muted. I guess because they are frozen

Yeah I had parsley and basil and it was pretty much useless. Didn't really add anything to a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Same with the coriander, have had to lash it into dishes for any of the flavour to come through. It's annoying because when I buy it fresh, some always goes to waste and I thought having some in the freezer would be better but.... it's a poor substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The only one I've used is the garlic, but I found that fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    This. I switched to chia seeds to keep the digestive system ticking along....
    Same problem here. The problem wasn't that it was treated (with sulphur dioxide) but that it wasn't labelled as such.

Tried the chia seeds as well, but it goes all gloopy when it comes anywhere near milk. Like eating wallpaper paste.

Advertisement