Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Alun wrote: »
    Same problem here. The problem wasn't that it was treated (with sulphur dioxide) but that it wasn't labelled as such.

Tried the chia seeds as well, but it goes all gloopy when it comes anywhere near milk. Like eating wallpaper paste.

Gete thee to the credit union, then go buy the Linwoods:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Translation into English please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Alun wrote: »
    Translation into English please?

They're saying take out a credit union loan and buy the overpriced Linwood branded ones instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're saying take out a credit union loan and buy the overpriced Linwood branded ones instead.
    Ah, never heard of Linwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Like a lot of products Aldi dupe, it's pretty much the same only 3 times the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Like a lot of products Aldi dupe, it's pretty much the same only 3 times the price.

Their peanut butter (foodie market brand) is fab and it's way cheaper than the Meridian which I normally get and you get more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

Anyone try the specially selected frozen veggie burgers. Think there are 2 flavours/types?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

gooner99 wrote: »
    Anyone try the specially selected frozen veggie burgers. Think there are 2 flavours/types?

I thought the falafel ones were minging, but someone else on the thread loved them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I thought the falafel ones were minging, but someone else on the thread loved them :)

I thought they falafel ones were very tasty too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Bought a jar of grilled peppers antipasti for 99c the other day. Totally delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

LiamaDelta wrote: »

In fairness it's not that much more expensive €6 for 475g (almost double the amount of the aldi bag iirc) in Holland & Barrett (and also BOGO half price at the moment) if anyone is stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

leahyl wrote: »
    I thought they falafel ones were very tasty too!

Were those the frozen specially selected burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Tried the specially selected tortilla chips - manchego & green olive, best tortilla chips I've had.

Also picked up a jar of tapenade on one of those middle specials aisles. Agúpe is the brand and it's a sun-dried tomato, free feta and kalamata olive tapenade produced in Greece. Really, really good and only cost €1.49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The frozen raspberries are excellent. Cheaper than Tesco and a bigger bag, but what I really liked was that it was whole raspberries to the bottom of the bag whereas the Tesco ones turned into dust.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The pizza/pasta flour they sometimes have is really great. It's the same company that make the Cotswold Crunch flour. I was making pizza with it for a while and noticed the dough came together much easier and was far less sticky than it normally was. When it had proved it felt much softer too.
    Ran out over the weekend and had to go back to the other brand I get in a health food shop and had to add a fair bit of extra flour to stop it sticking to my hands and wrists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Youdunnit

I got some lean mince beef ,it's brutal stuff

I normally get the butcher or the svalu packet stuff will do

This takes it down to a new level , throwing the frozen one out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Odelay

Youdunnit wrote: »
    I got some lean mince beef ,it's brutal stuff

I normally get the butcher or the svalu packet stuff will do

This takes it down to a new level , throwing the frozen one out

I usually find their mince to be grand. Lasts well too.

Odelay wrote: »

Must be a bad batch it's dirt and I like a lot of aldi stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Odelay wrote: »

The Black Angus Lean one is good - not out of this world or anything but it's decent mince, no complaints

I buy a lot of mince

Butcher and Packaged and I'm not anti aldi but I could tell it was wrong after it hit the pan

It looked like pork except it was beef mince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yeah I find aldi great for mince. I've bought their standard less than 5%, their lean steak mince and their organic lean mince and have had no issues whatsoever. I've always been very happy with the standard of their product.

Ok I wasn't accurate about the mince,I checked the one in the freezer

It's lean and bean mince ,mince and cooked haricot beans

It's says it's a new product on the packet,. It sucks anyhow

Looks the exact same as other pre packed minced beef,I didn't even notice it wasn't beef mince proper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Youdunnit wrote: »
    Ok I wasn't accurate about the mince,I checked the one in the freezer

It's lean and bean mince ,mince and cooked haricot beans

It's says it's a new product on the packet,. It sucks anyhow

Looks the exact same as other pre packed minced beef,I didn't even notice it wasn't beef mince proper

I got stung like that with the mince and red lentils

ASOT wrote: »
    I got stung like that with the mince and red lentils

In fairness it's cheaper but visually I just looked at the mince and didn't notice the description

Tasteless though in spaghetti Bolognese

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

They've switched the (lovely) little plastic packets of peeper sauce found in the meat fridge, for a manky Hartley's version which comes in a small plastic sachet. It's about 50% more watery, flavourless and not nearly as handy to heat up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

They've switched the (lovely) little plastic packets of peeper sauce found in the meat fridge, for a manky Hartley's version which comes in a small plastic sachet. It's about 50% more watery, flavourless and not nearly as handy to heat up either.

Is that the ones that used to be in the small rectangular containers almost like McDonalds bbq sauce etc? They were lovely, and so handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I got these today in Aldi. The onion and mango ones were lovely. Have to go back n get more cause I say they are a special buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Korean hot sauce is brilliant in chicken stir fry...just ate a bowlful there, lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Think it's a recent addition - cod nuggets in the fresh fish section, delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Do Aldi do frozen spinach?

Advertisement