Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

This is a bit of an obvious one but their dairy section is great.

Milk, cream, butter, sour cream etc all perfect and cheaper than branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

For anyone that likes the cola calipo ice pops Aldi have a new dupe of them. They're absolutely gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Their chocolate and hazelnut "cornettos" are lovely, as are their strawberry ones, 4 pack for €1.29 - a steal !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

vicwatson wrote: »
    Their chocolate and hazelnut "cornettos" are lovely, as are their strawberry ones, 4 pack for €1.29 - a steal !

Mint ones too! Much nicer that the real thing. lovely chocolate sauce down near the cone end! :D
    In fact, all their ice pops are amazing... especially for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

My main problem with Aldi (although in general I love it :)) is that there's very little Quorn or Linda McCartney's food for veggies like myself. It has definitely improved over the last couple of years, but I'd say that veggies aren't really top of Aldi's priorities :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Given the weather forecast for the upcoming weekend, an honourable mention must go their spatchcocked chickens ... great for the barbecue !

Alun wrote: »
    Given the weather forecast for the upcoming weekend, an honourable mention must go their spatchcocked chickens ... great for the barbecue !

I saw a blogger recommend these on snapchat yest and meant to pick one up today but forgot when I was in there, baby brain!!

She was saying the pack says 45 mins in the oven but she finds it more like an hour + 10 to get it done properly. How have you found it on the bbq? Do you start it in the oven and finish it on the bbq?

Sorry for twenty questions, it looked lovely so would like to try it :)

I cooked it entirely on the barbecue if I remember correctly. I have a Weber kettle barbecue and make sure I keep the lid on to keep the heat in so I'm cooking it through rather than just the outside if you see what I mean. I can't honestly remember how long .. I'm a cook it until it's ready kind of guy :)

You could of course start it in the oven and finish on the barbecue if you want a bit more predictabiliy.

BTW they have two types a lemon and pepper one and a herb one. The lemon one is the one to go for IMO.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Mint ones too! Much nicer that the real thing. lovely chocolate sauce down near the cone end! :D
    In fact, all their ice pops are amazing... especially for the price!

Mint/caramel ones are 1.39, still rockin value

Agreed on the chicken - lemon one definitely

Alun wrote: »
    I cooked it entirely on the barbecue if I remember correctly. I have a Weber kettle barbecue and make sure I keep the lid on to keep the heat in so I'm cooking it through rather than just the outside if you see what I mean. I can't honestly remember how long .. I'm a cook it until it's ready kind of guy :)

You could of course start it in the oven and finish on the barbecue if you want a bit more predictabiliy.

BTW they have two types a lemon and pepper one and a herb one. The lemon one is the one to go for IMO.

Excellent thanks Alun! My husband is bbq King in our house and scoffed when I mentioned the oven so I'd say he'll wing it. Will try pick one up tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Digs wrote: »
    Excellent thanks Alun! My husband is bbq King in our house and scoffed when I mentioned the oven so I'd say he'll wing it. Will try pick one up tomorrow :)

If you have food thermometer just check the thickest part of a tight. With a kettle BBQ I usually give it about 25 minutes per half a kilo mostly off direct heat and cover on for beer can chicken. With spatchcocked chicken it should take less but cook it on direct heat and turn it quite often to prevent burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My main problem with Aldi (although in general I love it :)) is that there's very little Quorn or Linda McCartney's food for veggies like myself. It has definitely improved over the last couple of years, but I'd say that veggies aren't really top of Aldi's priorities :(
    Talk about bringing shame on your username, you should be praising the craft beer and wild boar sausages...

So, I cooked the lemon and pepper spatchcocked chicken yesterday on the Weber kettle barbecue ... cooking time turned out to be about 55 minutes in the end. The barbecue was pretty hot to start with, and got a good colour on the skin, then flipped it, and put the lid on to continue the cooking, but took it off again towards the end to do some asparagus and sweet red peppers. Yummy :)

The mini burgers they have on special at the moment are great - 16 mini ones for €4.00, and I got mini hot dogs rolls for them to go in - very tasty with some cheese and BBQ sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Thargor wrote: »
    Talk about bringing shame on your username, you should be praising the craft beer and wild boar sausages...

The original Ragnar was the first Vegan Viking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

vicwatson wrote:
    The mini burgers they have on special at the moment are great - 16 mini ones for €4.00, and I got mini hot dogs rolls for them to go in - very tasty with some cheese and BBQ sauce

Are they frozen or in the fresh meat fridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

jd wrote: »
    Are they frozen or in the fresh meat fridge?

Fresh meat, a little double pack taped together for €4.00

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Over at the steaks they have little pouches of various sauces like pepper and a couple of others for 99 cents each, havent tried them yet but I will be, seems to be new stuff in Aldi every time I go in these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Big Eat Burgers with the Ballymore white baps (i'm sure they're less stodgy now) plus whatever toppings, bliss :)

Over at the steaks they have little pouches of various sauces like pepper and a couple of others for 99 cents each, havent tried them yet but I will be, seems to be new stuff in Aldi every time I go in these days.

The pepper and the mushroom ones are lovely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

vicwatson wrote: »
    The pepper and the mushroom ones are lovely

Yes, seconding the mushroom. It's the only one I've tried so far, but it was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I buy the goat's cheese stuffed hot peppers every time I visit, yum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Lads, I was planning on trying to lose some weight :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

jd wrote: »
    Lads, I was planning on trying to lose some weight :-)

They have some great workout gear for you

I tried the pepper and diane ones the other day and I found them awful. Lidl's Pepper sauce is much, much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Generally all the bread in aldi is really really bad, but their sourdough specially selected is fantastic. Makes incredible toast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Alun wrote:
    I tried the pepper and diane ones the other day and I found them awful. Lidl's Pepper sauce is much, much nicer.

Haven't tried the aldi pepper sauce but I second the lidl sauce being top quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Generally all the bread in aldi is really really bad, but their sourdough specially selected is fantastic. Makes incredible toast

I have to agree the bread is very poor indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

Their Ballymore white bloomer bread is lovely imo.

We also tried their spicy bean burgers for a change last week and they were very nice. Never that gone on veggie food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

From the Tesco thread:
    ellejay wrote: »
    However, I have noticed that the blue dragon stir in sauces, in the sachet's have gone from .79 to 1.09.
    I used to buy about 4 a month but now buy the aldi version for .69

Anyone else tried Aldi's stir in sauces?

Advertisement