Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Do Aldi do frozen spinach?

I think so, I even saw frozen avocado halves in their today

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The Cool wrote: »
    Think it's a recent addition - cod nuggets in the fresh fish section, delicious!

Agreed,although their nothing on the breaded cod in Lidl.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think so, I even saw frozen avocado halves in their today

We, not sure about frozen avocados. I see the frozen spinach being used as an alternative to fresh stuff in a lot of recipes these days. Been meaning to give it a go. Must keep an eye out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

We, not sure about frozen avocados. I see the frozen spinach being used as an alternative to fresh stuff in a lot of recipes these days. Been meaning to give it a go. Must keep an eye out so.

I think frozen avocado is only good for smoothies, low carb baking, etc. Dont think youd eat it uncooked on the side of anything.
    Definitely have seen bagged cubes of frozen spinach before, though not looked for it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The Cool wrote: »
    I think frozen avocado is only good for smoothies, low carb baking, etc. Dont think youd eat it uncooked on the side of anything.
    Definitely have seen bagged cubes of frozen spinach before, though not looked for it in ages.

I've used the strong roots frozen avocado halves to make guacamole before and it came out lovely. Just let it defrost and then mash it up with some lime juice, red onion, coriander and a dash of tabasco. Handy to have in the freezer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Very disappointed with the garlic butter. It tastes and smells musty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The pesto flavoured hummus is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Yes, that's a pretty accurate description.
    Some kind of veg oil spread not butter. Much prefer an actual butter.
    Very disappointed with there garlic butter. It tastes and smells musty.

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Yes, that's a pretty accurate description.
    Some kind of veg oil spread not butter. Much prefer an actual butter.

Yes, I've bought garlic butter's and spreads in the past but it's the first time I've got a musty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I’ve been looking for the Specially Selected Strawberry and clotted cream swiss roll for a while now and no joy. I hope to SUGAR it’s not discontinued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very disappointed with the garlic butter. It tastes and smells musty.
    Is that the black and gold little pot? Agree theres something not right, doesnt work right when you try it in mashed potato/chicken etc either.

Thargor wrote: »
    Is that the black and gold little pot? Agree theres something not right, doesnt work right when you try it in mashed potato/chicken etc either.

That's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Thargor wrote: »

Is that not a "garlic spread" rather than a butter? They have an actual garlic butter in a cylinder shape that's lovely and strong. The spread doesn't have a lot of flavour but I use it on bagels, or with crackers and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had the Butchers selection Irish BBQ Pulled pork tonight. Really good and handy to have in fridge as it has a long date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Noticed organic easy peelers were 50% off so tried them. Now know why they were not selling.

Would be easier to peel a pineapple without a knife. Juice all over, these are not easy peelers at all :(

Worst clementines I tried in a while. Taste was OK. But not worth it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Aldi 99c double orange concentrate price wont be beaten and it tastes same as branded types.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I was pleasantly surprised to see they have started to restock the beer "Rossini" again (only noticed it this evening, so no idea when they actually got it back in)

This was lovely stuff back when I used to buy the odd bottle, I'm guessing it's the same beer again, but haven't drunk any yet, these are in s differently designed bottle by the looks of things, and it's only 500ml as opposed to the 660ml one they sold s few years ago.

This is sold as an Italian beer, and it's pretty obvious that it's a direct competitor to Peroni.

I will have to be forced to drink some and report back on its taste.

The things I do for you lot......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

The fish burgers are back. They had both the buttermilk and Southern fried. Same branding (the tasty catch co) but boxes seem a bit smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

is the mexican bean soup gone ? :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    is the mexican bean soup gone ? :(

Looks like, none to be found this week and the spicy sweet potato one hasn’t been there for a good few weeks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Looks like, none to be found this week and the spicy sweet potato one hasn’t been there for a good few weeks :(

i was so disappointed with the lack of Mexican bean soup i forgot to check for the spicy sweat potato one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone know if the butter beans are back?
    There were none of them for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone know if the butter beans are back?
    There were none of them for weeks.

Yeah 110% noticed them last night in Blessington branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone know when Aldi officially launch their easter food range? I know they have had some eggs in store for a while now but there is nothing online unlike LIDL.

Tried those Picanha steaks in piri piri glazing.

Normally don't buy meat already seasoned, but love piri piri so why not :)

Very nice, 4 rather tiny steaks with relatively lot of fat cover on the sides at 4.99, but quick to cook and very nice for a quick mini steak dinner.

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    i was so disappointed with the lack of Mexican bean soup i forgot to check for the spicy sweat potato one :(

And I would be worried if I were you as very often when some of their products return they aren't the same any more.
    Thats my main issue with supermarket own label products, not just Aldi.

Even worse when they return with this "new improved recipe" :(

This usually means new supplier, new price. Not necessarily better to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I was pleasantly surprised to see they have started to restock the beer "Rossini" again (only noticed it this evening, so no idea when they actually got it back in)

This was lovely stuff back when I used to buy the odd bottle, I'm guessing it's the same beer again, but haven't drunk any yet, these are in s differently designed bottle by the looks of things, and it's only 500ml as opposed to the 660ml one they sold s few years ago.

This is sold as an Italian beer, and it's pretty obvious that it's a direct competitor to Peroni.

I will have to be forced to drink some and report back on its taste.

The things I do for you lot......

My OH loved this and was gutted when they stopped stocking it. Would loved to know if its still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Some nice Specially Selected pies in the frozen food section, 2 in a pack. The Steak and Merlot are decent but the Chicken with white wine and pancetta are even nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

They've got Crispy Vegetable Fries in the frozen section - a mix of carrot, parsnip and sweet potato, french fry style.

Lovely from the Airfryer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

UsedToWait wrote: »
    They've got Crispy Vegetable Fries in the frozen section - a mix of carrot, parsnip and sweet potato, french fry style.

Lovely from the Airfryer.
    Are they good for you or just as bad as oven chips?

Advertisement