Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thargor wrote: »
    Are they good for you or just as bad as oven chips?

Eh, I'm no nutritionologist, but I'd say they're somewhere on the spectrum between oven chips and rabbit food,

There's plenty of ingredients, including sunflower oil and rice flour and plenty other things that couldn't be good for you.

Nice, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

yogibear77 wrote: »
    My OH loved this and was gutted when they stopped stocking it. Would loved to know if its still the same.

Alas I have not yet had a chance to sample them, only bought a couple of bottles to make sure they are the same which are in the garage cooler right now.

Monday evenings are usually a good time for me to relax with a beer and put the weekend behind me, so I will probably open them tomorrow and report back.

Research purposes, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

There were boneless chicken thighs in two Aldis I was in last week, in Waterford and Cork.

Hope they become a regular thing, I really like thighs but can't be bother with deboning them myself. Made some really nice buttermilk fried chicken with them.

Looking for another recipe to use them again this week if they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

cbmonstra wrote: »

You could try Chicken Biryani from The Cooking Club.....

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056521427/20/#post87103622

• Registered Users Posts: 30,681 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There were boneless chicken thighs in two Aldis I was in last week, in Waterford and Cork.
    Hope they become a regular thing, I really like thighs but can't be bother with deboning them myself. Made some really nice buttermilk fried chicken with them.

Hard to say. They are on the shelf in my ALDI long with the Super 6 meats, but they've been there for a couple of Super 6s. Think they are branded, rather than the usual ALDI packaging, was it Manor Farm?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

We use boneless thighs (not the Aldi ones though) for Chicken Teryaki, we follow this recipe:
    https://www.justonecookbook.com/chicken-teriyaki/
    It's to die for, way better than using chicken breast. We used kikkoman teryaki sauce as we couldn't get any proper mirin (I don't want the Tesco mirin) and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Eh, I'm no nutritionologist, but I'd say they're somewhere on the spectrum between oven chips and rabbit food,

There's plenty of ingredients, including sunflower oil and rice flour and plenty other things that couldn't be good for you.

Nice, though.
    They're......alright?

I had a really nice cheeseburger with them so was in a forgiving mood, I also covered them in seasoning and grated cheese and they were fine. Is a strip of parsnip deep fried in oil and frozen really that much healthier than a potato though? Probably not. Ill just stick to the spuds in future I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had the red Thai curry vegetable one pot for lunch today (found in the lunch section of the chilled foods). Really tasty and creamy but quite light in cals. Great lunch option.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AhhHere

dudara wrote: »
    I had the red Thai curry vegetable one pot for lunch today (found in the lunch section of the chilled foods). Really tasty and creamy but quite light in cals. Great lunch option.

Had it for lunch today myself too. Really tasty, nice portion and only 2.49

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AhhHere

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hard to say. They are on the shelf in my ALDI long with the Super 6 meats, but they've been there for a couple of Super 6s. Think they are branded, rather than the usual ALDI packaging, was it Manor Farm?

Yep Manor Farm. checked today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thargor wrote: »
    They're......alright?

I had a really nice cheeseburger with them so was in a forgiving mood, I also covered them in seasoning and grated cheese and they were fine. Is a strip of parsnip deep fried in oil and frozen really that much healthier than a potato though? Probably not. Ill just stick to the spuds in future I think...

Ah I had them as a side with mash - wouldn't have thought they would work as an alternative to french fries..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

AhhHere wrote: »
    Yep Manor Farm. checked today

Yes the are and I think they cost €3.49

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Their rich tea and digestive biscuits are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great to hear they have boneless chicken thighs, its a much more flavoursome cut than chicken breasts and goes great in curries, tandoori chicken and a KFC clone I like to do now and again.

I made the bad mistake of buying their frozen sausage rolls as a snack to have in the freezer. Tried one last night and after a single bite the entire packet went into the bin, rotten cheapo sausage meat was to blame. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

tv3tg4 wrote: »

Their dark chocolate digestives are really nice and less than 50c I think. McVities are about €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Great to hear they have boneless chicken thighs, its a much more flavoursome cut than chicken breasts and goes great in curries, tandoori chicken and a KFC clone I like to do now and again.

I made the bad mistake of buying their frozen sausage rolls as a snack to have in the freezer. Tried one last night and after a single bite the entire packet went into the bin, rotten cheapo sausage meat was to blame. Avoid.
    Yeah those frozen ones are disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love the moser roth chocolate - the 5 individual bars in a pack - the mint one is devine

Anyone tried the calamari rings in the frozen section? I like calamari but would be worried it could be of the rubberish variety after freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Anyone tried the calamari rings in the frozen section? I like calamari but would be worried it could be of the rubberish variety after freezing

Was looking at it but (if you'll pardon the expression) I'm in the same boat as you. I feel that if calamari isn't fresh it's nothing. Although if someone has tried it I'm prepared to be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Muahahaha wrote:

Are they actually calamari rings? I always thought they were a reformed ring of squid coated in batter if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭donegal_man

nc6000 wrote: »
    Are they actually calamari rings? I always thought they were a reformed ring of squid coated in batter if that makes sense.

That sounds thoroughly disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That sounds thoroughly disgusting!

Chicken nuggets/burgers anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

I did try them and I got a bit of a "dose" afterwards, but that could just be my wonky tummy. They were a bit rubbery, I wouldn't be rushing to try them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

Any chance the Spicy Etna frozen pizza will ever come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

The sourdough pizza mozzarella and basil are top notch. One of the nicest shop bought frozen pizza's I've ever had and I generally don't eat pizza without meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

They no longer have cupa mushroom soup or own brand toothpaste.
    Their Porridge is good.
    I think McGraths teabags are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

So popped into aldi today, 3 things to report;

- The Animus Douro wine which disappeared a few months ago is back, but is now just Animus.... so probably different/possibly not as good, but I bought a bottle anyway and will report back once I've tried it. Still €7.65 anyways.
    - Got a very cute mothers day card for 99c - bargain. Feels good quality and doesn't come across as a cheep card.
    - Bought the Oats and Honey serum thats on special buy for €4.95. I saw The Beautiful Truth rave about this on her instastories about a week ago and said I'd give it a go as I've never tried their skincare. Not expecting it to work wonders but even if its just a nice, soothing product to use when my skin feels a bit dry I'll be happy enough. It also comes in a neat 30ml bottle so will be handy to bring with me when traveling with hand luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I bought that serum as well today. Don't know what it'll be like, but I thought I couldn't go too far wrong for a fiver.
    Their cards are generally pretty good quality I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

tv3tg4 wrote: »

The Belmont ones? Yes, delicious.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Recliner wrote: »
    I did try them and I got a bit of a "dose" afterwards, but that could just be my wonky tummy. They were a bit rubbery, I wouldn't be rushing to try them again.

yeah I think thats the problem with squid, it can turn rubbery very easily.

Advertisement